Home Improvement
Sponsored by

How Do You Cut Long Pcs of Wood To The Same Length

10,118 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Madman
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This sounds dumb to the average person but if you wanted to have several boards all 6' long down to about 1/32 accuracy how would you do it?
Bottlerocket
AG
compound saw. measure thrice, cut once. you can rent those tools

[This message has been edited by Bottlerocket (edited 12/5/2013 8:50p).]
UnderoosAg
AG
Understand kerf. The blade eats as it goes thru. Pay attention to the alignment of the blade versus the guide line.
Madman
AG
Just being carefull isn't enough for this type of accuracy.

I guess what I am asking is more of a jig type question.

I see lots of devices for making repetive accurate cuts but none for boards over say 4'. A miter saw is fine but unelss you can control some other variables, measuring several times isn't enough.

One problem I see is that no matter how carefull you are a most power saws jump when turned on. If you want 1/32" error over 6' that alone makes it very hard.
agnerd
AG
If I need something that precise, I assume it's for something expensive. So I buy 2 cheap 8' 2x4s, screw a stop block to one of them, clamp it to the mitre fence, and use the other 2x4 as a test piece to confirm I have the correct length. But my mite saw came with roller extensions like this:

so supporting the 2x4 "fence" 6' out isn't a problem.

[This message has been edited by agnerd (edited 12/6/2013 10:01a).]
Martin Q. Blank
If you buy an 8' board at Home Depot, they'll cut it for you. They're pretty accurate.
Aggietaco
AG
I use the clamps on my miter saw stand. Each side will extend to 10' from my blade surface. I've never done anything that required .03125" accuracy though and the table tops I made, I just sanded the ends of the lumber even one they were glued and screwed together.
wunderbrad01
AG
My radial arm saw's table is in pieces now waiting for a new home, but I have a saw built into a 16' long table, 12' to the left and 4' to the right. When I need a set of boards the same length, I clamp a board to the fence and go to town.

Table saw has a 54" table for smaller stuff, but I find it much more difficult to keep cuts accurate like that.

I suck at circular saws. I would say there is no way to keep your tolerances that close, but I know a guy that is a wizard with one and could probably do it.
Post removed:
by user
87IE
AG
The type of wood and size would play into it as well as what they will be used for but if possible I would

Stack them all together in a jig on my mitre saw and cut them all at once. If you can screw the pieces together then that will make it easier.

Like someone mentioned you could cut them all a little long and them clamp/screw them together and sand them all to the same length.

Depending on the width needed and material could you rip a cut sheet down? (like cut a 1 by 12 to 47 11/16th and then rip it into 3 strips 3 inches wide).
oldschool87
AG
You can have the wood cut at Home Depot... They charge per cut... You can stack 4 boards together for a single cut... They would be perfectly the same length!
Endo Ag
AG
Do you need accuracy and precision? If you just need precision (all the same, but can have some variation from the desired length), then cut them close, clamp them at one end, and sand the edges till they are even.
SpicewoodAg
AG
On a wide flat surface (could be a garage floor), set all the pieces edge to edge with one end of them flush. Of course if on floor lift off the floor with a 2x4. Clamp. Set a 90 degree fence/saw guide and crosscut all boards with a circular saw. They will be exactly the same length.

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 12/7/2013 4:14p).]
Ag20??
AG
If you've got a miter/crosscut saw, make a miter saw stand with wings and then use a stop block on one of the wings. You can impromptu this as much as you want.
mts6175
AG
What are you cutting it for that has to have 1/32" accuracy?

And to answer, cut both ends of the board with the compound miter saw so you are working with the same edge every time.
Farmer Jack
Wood will move more than that from season to season with humidity changes. If it's some interior (or exterior) project, I wouldn't worry much about that level of accuracy.
Madman
AG
you are correct about wood swelling and shrinking but if you shoot for very accurate you might hit accurate. I have listened to the suggestions and my plan is to make a new bench/jig this weekend using some of the ideas posted here. I will post pictures when I am done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.