Home Improvement
Sponsored by

230V Single Phase Electrical Plug?

21,787 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by The Fife
TheCellarDoor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a new wine pump from Italy, and the motor says it is 230V single phase with a plug with prongs facing in different directions (not parallel like a US plug).

Since Texags knows stuff, do I need a special circuit run for this pump, just switch out the plug, some kind of converter? I asked my handy man, and he hadn't a clue.

Thanks!
LostInLA07
AG
You can't just switch the plug unless its dual voltage. You need a transformer, I think.
akaggie05
AG
Is it designed for 50 or 60 Hz? You can get 230 (240) volts wired up easily but in the US the frequency will be 60 Hz.
Drewmeister
AG
Yeah, getting a 240V/60Hz outlet is easy (the plug type is NEMA 6, or nowadays more commonly L6 for the locking kind), but a 50Hz motor won't be happy running on 60Hz.

You can buy a frequency converter but one sized large enough for your load won't be cheap. (The cheap ones are typically < 100W, and I'm guessing your pump draws more than that.)
aggie_bq02
240 Volts is the same voltage a typical air conditioner and electric dryer operate on. You will need to install a two-pole breaker in your breaker box and possibly run new wiring to the new receptacle location. Make sure the receptacle and breaker is also rated for the correct current or ampacity. NEMA 6-15 for 15 amp, NEMA 6-20 for 20 amp, etc. The attached picture will help determine what you need.
akaggie05
AG
^
Assuming the motor is ok to run on 60 Hz. A 230V motor obtained from Italy is likely designed to run on 50 Hz. A 50 Hz motor run on a 60 Hz supply will turn 20% faster and may be out of spec mechanically or thermally as a result.
The Fife
Seriously, pay attention to the frequency here. It has the potential to turn what you bought into a large paperweight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.