ceiling fan brands to avoid/recs?

49,251 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggietaco
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to get wiring work done to add a ceiling fan to our vaulted ceilings here in the next week or so. I know the general rule of thumb for a vaulted ceiling is too get at least a 55" blade if not larger with a 48" or larger down rod. Are the big box store brands ok(Hunter/Hampton Bay) or are there specialty brands available to get a higher quality brand when it comes to larger sizes? I saw recently a "big a$$ fan" brand for the home, but not willing to spend $1100 for it...
dubi
AG
I don't think that Hunter is a big box store brand.

We have installed some of the high end store brand fans from Home Depot and never had a problem. The fans run 24/7 during the spring/summer/fall.

Get remote for the fan so you can change the fan speed if it will be installed up high.
ftworthag02
AG
Not sure if hunter still makes it but the original is the best my family has used for over 30 yrs.
Rockdoc
AG
Just bought 4 fans. Different makes. By far, the Emerson is the best quality (and more $) and totally silent.
SJEAg
AG
Not really happy with the Harbor Breeze fans I recently got...motor on them is really loud. Clearly audible while on even low, and I got two so it won't just a defective one. They're in bedrooms I don't use, so don't really care that much. Maybe it's just a bad model.

A Hunter fan I bought in the same price range has worked great.

[This message has been edited by SJEAg (edited 7/15/2012 5:46p).]
PLUM LOCO
AG
Hunter fans running basically non stop for 19 years next month.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah one of my fans was a harbor breeze, and not a cheap one, and it has motor hum that really ticks me off.
SJEAg
AG
Oops, my noisy fans are Harbor Breeze, not Hampton Bay. Sound too similar...but yeah the lowe's store brand.

[This message has been edited by SJEAg (edited 7/15/2012 5:47p).]
Max06
AG
I have 4 Harbor Breeze fans that I am very happy with. Two are the same model, so I've had good luck with 3 models.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
we have two solid brass Hunter Originals on 36" down rods in our LR, Hunters in every other room in the house except utility and bathroom(would be wonderful in there as well)

The Originals...one motor had an issue about 5 years into its life and Hunter completely replaced the guts into our brass housing. The other Original is 30 years old. Our fans are usually on year round and most often on high speed. Those Originals require oil and we do it q6mos. April and October. Two others require oil and three are sealed bearings.

My husband is against remotes and fans with variable speeds because they have a tendency to hum. Bil has Casablanca in the main rooms of his house and has had no trouble with them but they seem louder than the Hunters we have.
aggiecontentcreator
AG
hunter and hampton bay are perfectly fine for how affordable they are. however, you can easily buy a nice casablanca fan for under $400. though you can also buy a decent hunter and hampton bay under $100. i would also stay with a 52" blade minimum even in a small 10x10 room.
SirLander07
I have 6 fans in my house. 2 are hunter, 1 is hampton bay, 3 are harbor breeze. they all work great. the only one i have issues with is the harbor breeze that has a remote control to it. the remote doesnt work very well with it.
Absolute
AG
Always have had good experiences with Hampton Bay and Hunter at the HD levels. Honestly, over $100 and you are mostly paying for cosmetics. I have multiple 75 - 100 fans from HD that work great years after the install.
GigEmAgz
AG
Cass blanca ain't cheap but r highly recommended.
aggolfer
AG
Craftmade
Aggie Oilman
Casablanca > Hunter > Emerson > Harbor Breeze
buckinaggie
Anybody know anything about Old Jacksonville fans? We just had a house built and those are the ones they installed in the living and master bedroom.

Looking to add fans to the other 3 bedrooms and not sure if I should try to buy Old Jacksonville so that they match or just go pick up a few Hunter/Hampton Bay at Home Depot.
The Fife
What about sagging fan blades? Any brands to avoid?
Prince Akeem
quote:
Not really happy with the Harbor Breeze fans I recently got...motor on them is really loud. Clearly audible while on even low, and I got two so it won't just a defective one. They're in bedrooms I don't use, so don't really care that much. Maybe it's just a bad model.

3 fans in my little house are Harbor Breeze and the motor buzz/clicking noises bugs me at night. Even on low there is a noticable sound. I will not buy that brand if I ever have a choice.
Texker
AG
We have several cast iron hunter fans that have worked well for almost 20 years. The one in the den runs 24/7/365.
mneisch
AG
After a significant amount of research I had mostly Minka Aire fans installed in our new home. So far I have been extremely impressed with them. I recommend this website (http://www.hansenwholesale.com/) as they have the specs for all the fans clearly graphed out including efficiency, CFM and build quality.
Wife is an Aggie

Aggietaco
AG
Solid bump...

Speaking of fans, how do you like your Haiku, Fife? I'm about to order some BAF for a job and might talk to the sales folks about a Haiku for me. I've also seen some others, including a few Minka Aire offerings, that I like the looks of more.
Wife is an Aggie
Ha I thought I was replying to a post on outdoor board. I had done a preliminary search on texags though looking for an old post and accidentally typed my reply on this thread instead of outdoor board thread.
Ag In Texas
AG
Aggietaco said:

Solid bump...

Speaking of fans, how do you like your Haiku, Fife? I'm about to order some BAF for a job and might talk to the sales folks about a Haiku for me. I've also seen some others, including a few Minka Aire offerings, that I like the looks of more.
We bought a Minka Aire Slipstream XXL for our back porch on our new house. Won't be installed for a few more months so can't provide a review.
The Fife
Aggietaco said:

Solid bump...

Zero regrets whatsoever. It turns itself on, off and adjusts as needed without any thought or input on our part. This is what you would expect with something fully and correctly automated, you don't think about the need for it to do something, it just does. Every so often I just happen to notice that it's started or stopped, or that it looks good up there but I don't even remember the last time I needed to control it manually.

They have Ecobee (and Nest?) integration now too for whatever that's worth.
The Collective
AG
Does the Haiku put out decent light? I am thinking about putting one in a room that has a good deal of natural light, but this would be the primary overhead light source. The current fan has 4 lights that can be angled. Just curious what type of lighting you get from the Haiku.
The Fife
It puts out a lot of light. The baby is asleep in the room with the fan so I'll have to try and get a picture tomorrow.
UnderoosAg
AG
Aggietaco said:

Solid bump...

Check out MacroAir. Usually cheaper than BAF.
Aggietaco
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Aggietaco said:

Solid bump...

Check out MacroAir. Usually cheaper than BAF.
They are cheaper but their consumer offering, similar to Haiku, is unattractive.
The Fife
CJS4715 said:

Does the Haiku put out decent light? I am thinking about putting one in a room that has a good deal of natural light, but this would be the primary overhead light source. The current fan has 4 lights that can be angled. Just curious what type of lighting you get from the Haiku.

It may be hard to gauge since the room is almost 30' long and deep, but this is the family room illuminated only by the Haiku. For a room this size you'll need more obviously, but it throws out a lot of illumination. I'd say probably as much as 3-4 60W bulbs. In person it's brighter than it appears in pictures.

I almost forgot, it's also dimmable. At the highest brightness it's all you'd want to come from a point source plus some. We normally keep it down around half or less when it's on.

The Collective
AG
Impressive. Thank you for taking the time to post those.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm assuming you have (at least) the I series since you have their SenseMe motion tech built in? I was planning to skip that, but the integration with ecobee has me reconsidering. Plus they don't sell the "budget" L series in 60".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.