Home Improvement
Sponsored by

LG front loading washing machine leaking – ideas?

9,354 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by jefe95
SQ-2 Rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
md: wm2140cw. Washer is 5 years old, used 3-4x week.

I noticed this weekend water coming out from below, not as in a leak from the hose connections, but a steady drip.

So I pulled the back panel off and shined a flashlight while it was filling. I noticed water coming out at a pretty quick rate spinning off or through the drive motor or drum. I can’t tell if it was water from before that leaked there. I looked also below and the drain coupling was fine/not ripped. The hoses from the inside didn’t look wet. The hose connections on the outside are okay.
The front door gasket is still in great shape.

Any other ideas?
87IE
AG
I've never worked on a front loading washer but that sounds like it may be your pump. I've only replaced them on top loaders.

Does it leak when it's filling up or draining?
Lynch
Is the filter up front clogged? Have you drained or cleaned it recently? It could be clogged and working its way back along the drum.
SQ-2 Rock
AG
Filter on the bottom front left panel is clear as well. I think that it is leaking during the draining stage.
AG Custom
AG
Most washers have a pump that connects the drain line from the washer drum to the drain line that goes into the wall. There is a small junction box at this pump that is made of plastic and they are known to crack over time. Remove the back panel and follow the drain line from the wall until you reach the pump/junction. See if it is leaking from there (most are black in color and hard to see the crack).

Speaking from experience only as this happened to my personal one about a year ago.
agringx2
AG
I also have the LG Front Loading Washing Machine that is the same age as yours. Open the left front panel under the door. Grab some towels as well as a bucket. The panel has a filter to the right (which you should clean and drain twice a month) then on the left, there is a long black tube with a cap (also should be drained twice a month). Take off the cap and drain out the water in the bucket (This water is excess the machine holds after a wash cycle. This excess water creates mold and mildew inside your machine, gasket, etc.). If no water comes out, you could have a clog in the line. This could be what is causing a leak. Once there is no more water coming out of the black tube, put the cap back on and place the tube back in it's holder and place the panel door back. Run a quick cycle to see if it cures your leak. If not, I suggest contacting LG. They can walk you through additional steps to diagnose the problem.
jefe95
AG
I actually bought a warranty with mine, and the repairman is coming Tuesday. Apparently there's a gasket or seal that is leaking below the drum. We'llsee if it gets fixed this week
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.