Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Master Bathroom Complete Gut & Remodel

36,133 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gary79Ag
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the hole, you could use the spray can of foam stuff. Or cut a patch out of blue. That's what I would do.

I would leave the support in unless it will be an issue. No harm leaving it.

I don't fully understand the last question. Do you want to cover up the hole and insulate it? If you have access via another route, seems fine to me (and it would be something I would do).

Glad you got the electrical sorted out.

~egon
Aggiemike96
AG
Bump... Yes, this "one month" remodel is approaching 3.5 years. I have the most patient wife in the world! Life (and GMAT, and a PhD program and yadda yadda more excuses) have derailed me. However, for the next 12 days, it's ON! I will be posting pics daily starting tomorrow. Stay tuned!
dubi
AG
Whoop!
Caliber
AG
quote:
I have the most patient wife in the world!

My wife would have killed me...

She gave me 1 year to do our master bath remodel...

Did it in 362 days instead!

How do permits work when work drags out like this? I think they expire after 1 year or 6 months after the last inspection. Do you have to have things re-inspected or can you just have the permit renewed?
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I don't believe him it's already TOMORROW and there are no pictures....the new Cap'n Slow!
dubi
AG
quote:
the new Cap'n Slow!

The wrath of MOM coming down already!

Mike, hire a handyman/contractor to help! I predict you once again will not finish and will go back to SA for school. Then your poor wife will have this unfinished monstrosity for another year.
S
woohoo, Miss Positive Attitude has spoken!
dubi
AG
Dear Miss Rosy Cheeks,

It is hard to get stuff done by yourself. No one to "hold" this or run off to HD/Lowe's 50 times for a forgotten item.

Sincerely, Dubi
S
You're telling ME about doing stuff alone? Remember, I'M the one running to HD asap when it opens to get wax rings for toilets AND running the on/off button of the electric auger when we cleaned out the line AND cleaning up the mess.

Yep, he should hire some help and get the show on the road before it's another millennium. Heck, he could hire teens to be his fetch it and then dealing with them could also be his incentive to get it done!!!
Aries
I would have killed you.
The Fife
3.5 years... Good lawd, our kitchen/fam rm/living rm rebuild was basically 12 months.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
3.5 years... Good lawd, our kitchen/fam rm/living rm rebuild was basically 12 months.

So, you're done then?
Tree Hugger
AG
That's what I was wondering
The Fife
I'm waiting for the pantry doors to come in and a couple of details, but pretty much. I had to shift gears to turn over the rental, but due to a collapse while roofing materials were being loaded I'm at a standstill over there. I should finish up at home quite soon now.
Aggiemike96
AG
Update Time!

Permits - Of course, the permits I pulled back in early March 2012 have long since expired. The guy at the Houston Permits Center joked about them expiring almost 2 years ago when I called. He was kind enough to extend them 6 months, so I'm good through 2/14/2015. However, I learned that I needed an HVAC permit because of the 2 exhaust fans/vents. So, today I had to head downtown and pick this up. I must admit, the Houston permitting center is not too bad. Well, except for the $177 it cost me for the permit. That's more than the damn fans cost! At least I was in and out on a Friday afternoon in less than 20 minutes. I have scheduled plumbing and HVAC rough-in inspections for Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

Exhaust Fans - We have installed one in the toilet closet and one between the shower and tub. The following pic shows the venting through the roof. Thank goodness the roof on this part of the house is only 1-story. But, it is not accessible from the attic. I have applied duct sealant to the seams and joints.

Ceiling Insulation - I finally finished installing the insulation to my liking. First, I stapled plastic venting to the bottom of the roofdeck. There is not a ridge vent on this part of the roof, but I did not want heat trapped against the roof by the insulation. Figured it wouldn't hurt and only cost a few dollars. I then installed John Manville R-30 batts into the rafters and crossed them with Owens Corning R-19 unfaced rolls to give me a total R-49. The batts were expensive, but the R-19 was not so I figured I'd increase my R-value. The batts have been stapled to the rafters and the seams have been masking taped together...ready for sheetrock installation!

Exterior Wall Behind Shower & Tub - As I will install Hardie board, RedGard and then tile on this wall, I installed unfaced R-13 between the studs on this wall. I like working with unfaced because it's easier to cut and work into place. However, as you can see in the pics, the spacing is not standard, especially around the shower. In the shower wall, I had to mess with the electrical wire to the outside A/C units, the two A/C lines and the shower drain vent. But, I got the insulation in. For the tub, you can see the exterior access to the tub drain area. For this access panel, I built a small box to house the insulation. You can see the chicken wire holding it in. This box is removable from outside the house (next to the A/C units) to access the tub drain after the tub is installed.

Ceiling - What to do here? The flat decking about the ceiling here is the floor of the gameroom. This is a conditioned space, so I'm not certain if I'm going to insulate it to the same standards I did the rest of the bathroom. I'm leaving this exposed at this time because I need the rough-in inspections passed because the rainhead is plumbed in this section and the HVAC venting pipe is visible here.

Drywall Closet - With my dad's help, we began installing drywall in the closet. It is a near 8' X 8', but of course it is actually 8' X 8'3" (the addition of the new wall posted earlier extended the closet 3 inches). The hoist I purchased from Amazon.com for $150. Well worth its weight in gold!

Installing the first ceiling panel, using the hoist:

Hoisted flush against ceiling, ready for screws:

First panel, in place and screwed in:

We continued the closet today, but I do not have pics yet. I will get pics in the morning and upload tomorrow night or Sunday.

Tomorrow's goal, since my dad left today, is to tape, float and texture the closet. I have a buddy coming over that claims to have sheetrock experience...guess we'll find out in the morning!
dubi
AG
You got help! Whoop!
Aggiemike96
AG
Saturday, my buddy with some drywalling experience came over for most of the day. We were able to apply mud the screws and apply the joint tape.

A few lessons I learned:

(1) Drywall much be hung so that the original finished sides touch each other (i.e. you can't have snapped edges running across the middles of the wall). The snapped edges must be either the top or bottom.

(2) If you buy 20 minute mud, on accident, don't try to keep watering it down and think it will work. We were both scratching our head at what we were doing wrong until we looked at the sack and saw "20" on it. We're using "90" to give us plenty of time to work with it.

(3) Sanding is insanely DUSTY if you use an orbital sander!

Pic of the muddin':

To tackle the dust while I'm sanding the closet, I decided to build an exhaust using a box fan, a coardboard box and plastic bags. This contraption is actually VERY efficient. I'm running the A/C at the same time, which is blowing into the bathroom, then the fan is sucking air from the bathroom (with a plastic sheet pretty much over the entire door). Then the fan blows the dusty closet air through the exhaust to the outside. With the fan running, in the closet it looks like a blizzard the air is so thick with dust. However, in the bathroom, you can't hardly detect any dust in the air. After wrapping a wet sheet around the bathroom door leading to the bedroom, I'm hoping to have minimal dust in the rest of the house.

"Ductwork":

Fan/box:

I'd say with about 15 minutes, the fan exhausts about 90% of the airborne dust so I consider this highly effective, though a little Aggie engineeringish.

More to come after the afternoon's progress! Hopefully texturing (or at least testing my "roll-on" texture technique) this afternoon!
dubi
AG
Today's update?
Aggiemike96
AG
Alright, time for an update and more pics!

Sunday, 8/17, in order to prepare for the plumbing rough-in inspection, I wanted to pull the soldered caps off the tub and install screw-on caps like the rest of the plumbing. I have operated a torch before, but it was to brown the outside of a prime rib. This is my very first attempt at soldering, here we go!

The cold water line came off just fine and I installed the new cap easily. However, the hot water line was a different story. I had to run to Lowe's and get a pipe cutter as I could not get the water out of the line to remove the old cap. Then, when trying to solder on the new cap, the water continued to dribble. The solution: bread! That's right, after much research online, I read that wadding up a piece of bread and shoving it down the line to "clog" the dripping would solve the issue. And, it did! I left the cap off for a second afterwards so that I could flush the bread out, which of course the water pressure did with ease. New caps:

Monday, 8/18, it's time to get finalized for the plumbing and HVAC rough-in inspections. I figured they'd be there first thing (I figured wrong). Plumbing showed up about 12:15. Very nice guy. He came in, looked around, said "Looks good." We talked for a minute about the shower pan and my plans there. He passed me for rough-in on all plumbing except shower pan and tub (both of which must wait until I get further along the process). But, I'm free to close-up the walls with sheetrock/Hardie board and move along.

However, not so fast! About 12:30, the HVAC guy shows up. "What did you seal the vent lines with?" And, the truth, I sealed them with the sealant tube/caulking stuff. "That's not going to work." Are you ph**cking kidding me? I have my insulation in and ready to go! I have to open it up and install duct tape approved for UL-181. Not just any duct tape, it must be the special, expensive stuff. No worries, fine, let's just get it down. I failed HVAC rough-in, so there's no drywall in my immediate future.

New UL-181 tape:

Tuesday, 8/19, pick-up wife and kid from airport and stay home with kid while wife works. Minimal progress.

Wednesday, 8/20, wife goes to work and kid goes to first day of pre-K. After walking her to class, I return home to await the follow-up HVAC inspection. Different guy arrives about 9 AM, takes a look at my tape, and says I'm good to go. Time for ceilings and walls!

Starting with the space above the vanity:

Thursday, 8/21, after working on the vanity area for most of Wednesday, I move to the ceiling. Continuing with the ceiling above the tub and shower (note the cut-out for the exhaust vent and the plethora of GREEN stickers on the window):

After installing two panels onto the ceiling (there is still about a 6 inch gap to cover, but the tub is in the way), I move to working on the shower/tub area. Here is the plumbing for the shower.

Because I estimate that a spa system like this will be rather noisy, especially since it shares a wall with the bedroom, I decide to insulate behind the water lines:

Also, take a look at the shower drain. It's a 13-inch square hole left by the builders. To strengthen that area, I decide to concrete some of this in so that I can add support to the center of the shower.

Before:

After:

Friday, 8/22, I continue working on the shower area by installing the Hardie board. It took FOREVER to measure and cut the center board where all of the faucets and water sprays are located. I used some diamond hole saws (ordered three from Amazon.com in various sizes) and will use these for cutting the tile too when that time comes around.

Lastly, here is the shower pan location and "footprint" of the shower:

I continued work over the weekend, but haven't uploaded pics yet. However, I finished the walls 100% and set the shower base. Next task, tape walls and then build tub deck. Long weekend coming up, let's see what I can get done! (Oh, in case you're curious, everything in these pics I did by myself...working during the week is hard to find buddies to help!)
The Fife
Looking good! How are you waterproofing the shower area?
Aggiemike96
AG
For the shower base, I'm using Schluter's shower system/kit. After adding concrete to the drain area, I added a layer of mortar and set Hardie board on it. This was primarily to (1) raise the shower 1/2 inch and (2) provide a solid, flat foundation for the shower base. My floor was pretty much flat anyway, but I wanted the additional height because of hooking the drain up with the existing drain required some elbows (see the pic above). On top of the Hardie, another layer of mortar and then I set the styrofoam, slopped base. From here, I'll add another layer or mortar and then the Schluter base layer/felt. It's one piece, about 4 X 4 feet with a hole in the center. I will wrap this up the curb and walls to create my watertight shower base. Next, for the walls, I plan to continue with the Schluter felt. I've used Redgard before to seal a shower wall, but specially purchased the Schluter material for this remodel. So, we'll see how it goes.
The Fife
Good call!
Caliber
AG
Kerdi is pretty easy to work with.

Just make sure you wet down that cement backerboard as you apply so that you get good adhesion. Read up on applying to cement board if you already haven't. Its' not a big deal, it's just very thirsty and you won't get good adhesion if it dries to fast.
Aggietaco
AG
Any particular reason you're using the schluter system vs. the redgard?
Aggiemike96
AG
No particular reason for Schluter over RedGard. I've used the RedGard in a bathroom remodel and am happy. Bought the Schluter stuff years ago (can't remember the specific reasons) and want to use it on this bathroom.
dubi
AG
Will you be finished before you return to SA?
Aggiemike96
AG
School starts tomorrow. I'll let you take a guess where I am right now.
dubi
AG
I must admit you made more progress than I anticipated. Hire help over Xmas break!!!
The Fife
Time for a quick bump!

Dill-Ag13
Aggiemike96
AG
Oh hell. Guess I'll post updated pics Friday.
Gary79Ag
AG
It's Friday!!!
dubi
AG
quote:
You knew this would get bumped!

However, you can blame it on Fife.....and not me!
S
Are you kidding me? In the time you have farted around with this bathroom our family has completed 1.75 MBA degrees, two weddings, a home purchase, and two grand babies due this summer! Sheesh, I knew you were slow Mike but get with it....Dubi is 20 years older than when you started the demo!
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
So does no pics yesterday mean no progress?

Or was yesterday the wrong Friday?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.