Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Oak tree leaves turning brown - Help requested!

27,591 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by FJB
FJB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi all,

One of my two year old oak trees seems to be stressed and its leaves are turning brown (I'd say rapidly) and falling off. I realize that its been pretty hot as of late in DFW, but this tree and my other out front have their own bubblers and get watered weekly. I tried taking some photos and would gladly take more if anyone thinks it would help in identifying what the issue might be. All help is greatly appreciated. Really don't want to lose this tree.

Sick tree -

Other tree (healthy) -

1876er
AG
I've got the exact same problem with the same tree in Midland. Mine is a little further along than yours. Most of the leaves have fallen off aleady. The grass under it is nice a green, so it isn't a water problem.
FJB
AG
I've heard in the past that if the leaves turn brown but stay on the tree is dead. I don't know how much of that is antedcotal, but the fact they're falling off is giving me some hope.
EllisCoAg
AG
^^^
true

I think it is just the way the tree is dealing with the stress of a hot summer. When the temps cool down a bit and we get some rain, give it a round of fertilizer.
NonRegAg94
AG
I had a similar situation where one side of my tree was pretty much dead. I had a friend that owns a tree service company, check it out, and he told me I had tree borers.
He suggested I go to Home Depot and buy a treatment that is put out by Bayer. It's a liquid that you add water to and pour around the base of the tree.
It turned all the leaves on the tree a nice maroonish color, but it seemed to clear the problem up, and the tree is is way better than it has been in a while, and this year the leaves are green again.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products/12-month-tree-shrub-insect-control-landscape-formula

[This message has been edited by NonRegAg94 (edited 8/21/2010 2:39a).]
62strat
AG
my two front yard trees are doing the same thing (red oak and red maple), i pinpointed that it's the sprinkler water doing it.. where the water directly hits the leaves, it kills em brown. the tops of my trees are fine.
tiny_torpedo
AG
One of my young maples did the same thing about a month ago. It looked like Fall in my front yard. I just figured it was a way for the tree to preserve some water during the heat. It has a few green leavs left on it, and I'm hoping it is fine.
FJB
AG
Looked my tree over this morning. All the brown leaves have blown off, leaving the green ones intact. I feel better and am guessing that maybe it was a stress relief mechanism for the tree.
Post removed:
by user
laskippa
those trees are dry. they require a lot more water than grass. you need to put your water hose on a slow trickle(slow as you can get) and water that thing for 6 hours. you need to do this a few days in a row to get that tree to come back.
Absolute
AG
Pedro,

How Goes!! How's the golf game this year?

Your trees are pretty young and after a hard winter and no this hot summer are probably stresses. I think the previous poster is right and they need some more water. Have you tried deep watering?
FJB
AG
Hey Kev! Golfing is good. Down to around a 17 now. Good for me anyhow. You should come play with us on Sunday if you can get away. Just shoot me an e-mail. We play a track north of here.

I have a deep watering spike that will penetrate about a foot deep. I'll give that a go.
Absolute
AG
Way to go. haven't gotten out much this year, but have done well the few times. Cant make this Sunday, but might make some other time. I will try and send you an email this week.
breaker119
Look into a disease called Oak Wilt - this looks similar to photos that I've seen of that disease.
meteorag06
AG
This should help you out if it is indeed oak wilt.

Hope it's not, but it's been getting more and more common in Texas over the past few years.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_oakwilt/toc.htm
PLUM LOCO
AG
That is NOT oak wilt, I can assure of that.
FJB
AG
Well to update... I've deep watered and its rained here the past couple of days. A good portion of the leaves are still on the tree. I'd say about 50%. The ones that turned fully brown, dropped off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.