National Golf Links of America

927 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by KentuckyAg2
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to brag (maybe a little), but I have an invite to play the National next week. I am beyond excited as its been in the top tier of my lifetime bucket list courses as a bit of a course architecture nerd.

If anyone's been out there, would love to hear about the experience. I will try to take some pics and update next week. Weather is looking pristine too: sunny and low 60s.
TheRatt87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's great. I rank it just ahead of Fishers Island but behind Shinnecock for courses on LI.
Overall, I'd put it behind Pine Valley & Cyprus Point, but in my experience edges out Oakmont, Merion, Sand Hills & Chicago Golf Club & Seminole.
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheRatt87 said:

It's great. I rank it just ahead of Fishers Island but behind Shinnecock for courses on LI.
Overall, I'd put it behind Pine Valley & Cyprus Point, but in my experience edges out Oakmont, Merion, Sand Hills & Chicago Golf Club & Seminole.

Don't know that we've ever met but I hate you.

What I've heard about National vs Shinnecock is that Shinnecock is a "better course" but National is the one you'd prefer to have as your home track. Not quite the nut punch that Shinnecock is.
ddub96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Special round to get to play there. Historical but also a very fun track. Several of the holes are essentially copies of famous holes from the UK. Just some incredibly cool architecture. I also read when I got to play it that at some point it was viewed as the snootiest club in America. I didn't experience that but no doubt a blue blood among blue bloods and one of my favorite logos. When I went a few years ago pro shop was fantastic. Golf in that part of the world is top shelf no doubt.
Mr. Nussbaum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shinnecock is a better U.S. Open venue, The National is a much better match play course. National is a blast and a very Wall St. feel.

Enjoy your round!!!
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr. Nussbaum said:

Shinnecock is a better U.S. Open venue, The National is a much better match play course. National is a blast and a very Wall St. feel.

Enjoy your round!!!


Do you guys want to stick around for an Oven Mitt...naaaah.

Just in case no one has ever recognized your username.
GDP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NGLA is a great experience.
Wonderful golf course with many memorable template holes.

Tips:
Take a sport coat. Required in the clubhouse and must be worn for lunch.
Beg borrow plead to have lunch. Get the lobster to start and then the rest of lunch is served family style. They don't call it the best lunch in golf for nothing.

Also take a shower in the locker room. Abundant pressure and large shower heads. You almost need a lifeguard in there.

After the shower, order a Southsider. Be careful on the second one

It will probably be the best day of golf you have this year/decade.

Enjoy !!
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All good tips thank you. I'm waiting to hear back from my host when I asked for some guest procedures I should be aware of. We are having lunch beforehand so thats good intel.

It's definitely going to be the best experience of the year for me, but its been a good one so far already.

Congressional
Arcadia
Canterbury
The Country Club (Pepper Pike not Brookline)
and now NGLA.

Next year will be the big Scotland trip with Old Course, Muirfield, Berwick and Turnberry so as far as a 18 month window I'm not sure I'll ever top it
KentuckyAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jealous, have a great trip
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.