Planning a Scottsdale Golf Trip? Check out our 5BR AirBNB House

1,345 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Pahdz
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3626176/replies/72926112

Plenty of room, conveniently located! Pickleball and a Pool if you're into that.

Airbnb = https://www.airbnb.com/h/aceinthedesert
VRBO = https://www.vrbo.com/5470530?dateless=true

Golf related because happy to talk AZ golf. Great courses to check out:

Quintero - frequent top dog AZ public access
WeKoPa- Saguaro is higher rated but Cholla is just as great
Whirlwind - both courses are great and reasonably priced
Ak-Chin - hike down south well worth the drive
Raven- South PHX great in town golf
Dinosaur Mountain-great track and elevation out east
Troon North - both 18s are great, Pinnacle slightly preferred. Tough first 6 holes tee shots
Eagle Mountain- nice track, friendlier than some of above, very reasonable pricing
Grayhawk- bonafides & $$$$
TPC - shame I've never played it
Mountain Shadows - great 18 hole par 3 course
Wickenberg- Not sure if still open to pub, fun track including their par 3 in the 'bowl'. Long hike out there.
SunRidge Canyon- like it, also east towards WeKoPa and Eagle Mtn. Have heard sometimes conditions get worn?

What am I missing? Would love to hear other recommendations.

Buddy shared this map years ago with course ratings that has been really helpful getting a read on it.

Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eagle Mountain...only course i've broken 70 at! We enjoyed the half pipe fairways.
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I clicked on the Air BNB to see the location. I'm not sure you could be in a better spot for access to We-Ko-Pa. Come out of the neighborhood and go east on McDowell to SH 87. Probably 20-25 minutes I'd guess. Proximity to the 101 makes it easy to go north to Troon, Grayhawk, etc or south to Whirlwind or really anywhere most of your people would want to go.

Popstroke isn't far. Not my thing but it works for a lot of people. You're also pretty close to Grass Clippings for people looking for lighted par 3 golf


JMO but DeFalco's and Andreoli Italian Grocer are great Italian deli places and easy to get to from your place. Anytime someone says let's go to Andreoli I change whatever my plans are.
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We gotta check that restaurant out, thx for the heads up!

I feel like WeKoPa is the best balance of great conditions, challenging, but still very playable, not a beat down, and reasonably priced esp if do 36.

Any advice on Papago, Talking Stick, Boulders, TPCs, Others?
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We ko pa is fantastic...better than grayhawk, TPC, Troon
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a big fan of the 2 TPC courses. I think Talking Stick is overlooked because there's no elevation change but they are always in great shape and as an old guy i have a chance. Also easy to get to and the casino is good. I think Raven is underrated because it's parkland and not desert. For me Dinosaur Mountain, We-Ko-Pa and Quintero for scenery if you have limited time.
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WeKoPa is outstanding! We had a 36 hole day there and I had talked to them in advance for our group. They had box lunches ready for us after the first round. Great patios and a nice little bar there with great service.

Just need to go back and meet JJ there…….
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
as far as golf course conditions, layout, service, etc We-Ko-Pa is that best all around deal in AZ imo. Fantastic experience out there
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
just don't go during overseed season (Sept-Nov). Had a work conference last year in Scottsdale and we struggled to find a course that was open in October, and when we did the conditions were terrible (TPC Champions)....also cart path only for a few weeks after the overseed.

Scottsdale Golf Course Overseeding Schedule 2026 Overview
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You have to plan ahead this time of year. A few have already reopened but it's about that time for most to close. I don't even try to play in October and go to Arizona Fall League baseball instead. I'll get back out early November. I've had some people want to come in October and just said no. Every other month is fine IMO.

I'm about to play my 108th round this year so a month off works for me.
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
108, you lucky dog!
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Book with you direct to avoid the fees of Air BnB?
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone happens to be out here before a course you're interested in overseeds conditions right now are primo. We got anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 inches of rain last Wednesday so it doesn't get much better.
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

Book with you direct to avoid the fees of Air BnB?


Airbnb actually just changed their model so the fees hit on the host side. It used to be more on the traveler but they flipped it.

That said we do have some discounts going and we are also on VRBO for those that prefer that platform.
offshoreAg00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonna have some time to kill on November 5th, best course within 20 minutes of PHX?
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
offshoreAg00 said:

Gonna have some time to kill on November 5th, best course within 20 minutes of PHX?


Raven is pretty hard to beat with those requirements!
offshoreAg00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rhtexfish said:

offshoreAg00 said:

Gonna have some time to kill on November 5th, best course within 20 minutes of PHX?


Raven is pretty hard to beat with those requirements!
Will check it out, thanks
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do you mean by some time to kill and within 20 minutes of Phoenix? Where are you going to be? Ross is right. Raven is convenient to the city and I think often overlooked. Looks like that's about 2 weeks after they reopen so maybe they'll be off the cart path.
offshoreAg00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

What do you mean by some time to kill and within 20 minutes of Phoenix? Where are you going to be? Ross is right. Raven is convenient to the city and I think often overlooked. Looks like that's about 2 weeks after they reopen so maybe they'll be off the cart path.
My flight lands at 9:30 in the morning and I can't check into my hotel until 4 pm, so need something to do for that period of time.
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Raven is about 5 miles south of Sky Harbor.
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jed, have you played Camelback much? I think my buddies and I caught it at a terrible time a couple years ago and it was in the worst condition of any course I've ever played maybe. The greens were completely lost. Is it better now?
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not in quite a while. I like Ambiente better than Padre but really don't think about it much.
rhtexfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I think it was a one and done for us.
offshoreAg00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rhtexfish said:

offshoreAg00 said:

Gonna have some time to kill on November 5th, best course within 20 minutes of PHX?


Raven is pretty hard to beat with those requirements!

Think I'm actually gonna try and go out to Quintero instead now, after doing some research and planning out my weekend. Any insight into how the course should look for the time of year? I read on their website that carts should be allowed off path by that exact day so hoping to get lucky.
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be at Kierland on a work trip first week of November. Never played there when I lived there 20 years ago so looking forward to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.