Will Texas have any PGA tournaments in the Championship division in 2028?

3,381 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 98Ag99Grad
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is the sprawl any different than big cities in other states?
grego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie369 said:

I got a text a few weeks ago that said Colonial is pretty much done after this year.

Texas golf kinda sucks and not much to choose from in DFW is why I chose PGA West. I personally don't like the course much. Maybe they just don't have a tournament named after Byron Nelson....



Anybody that says things in absolutes like what you got texted is either making stuff up or working with false information. The only things known so far are that San Antonio didn't bid and Houston got rejected for Championship events.

Nelson and Colonial both have strong sponsors and have submitted bids that are still being evaluated. I think one of them is a certainly. I also think Colonial will bow out versus take a Challenger event.

Both events have been getting crushed by the schedule as others have mentioned. The window if just so short in Texas if you don't overseed. The Nelson has also had well documented tremendous host course problems.

I believe that the remaining events/sponsors in contention are being told to "sharpen their pencils". Hopefully the decisions will be known soon as they also affect the 2027 event planning as well.



We also know PGA West has officially been told no thanks without much consideration...

Which sucks because - while I personally don't like the courses much - it is a great spot in the calendar and a beautiful part of the world that translates fantastically to TV in January.
AGMD87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You absolutely nailed the analysis. Both the Nelson and Colonial have made competitive bids with excellent sponsors. I believe one will be picked. I would love to see the quality of the course, tradition, players opinions, and 80 years of history made the difference in selection but unfortunately, we know it is all about the money. We should all find out soon.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Pretty much done" isnt an absolute

And the text came from a PGAT player
grego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well it isn't "pretty much done" as anyone close to the situation knows. And "Colonial will be dropped completely after this next year" sounded pretty absolute.

I'm not saying I know either but I'm close enough to get pretty good intel, which doesn't mean much right now.

Honestly I would say it is 50/50 or pretty close. All comes down to how high Schwab will go compared to the other title sponsors.


I also think the tour is going to realize that after the initial excitement dies off it is going to be very hard to find enough sponsors ponying up north of $30MM per year. Who knows what happens then.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I was a member, no way in hell would I want to surrender access to my course for a challenger event. Although I'm the type that wouldn't want to surrender it at all. So I can absolutely see challenger or bust mindset. The historic Colonial is a lean on course, but I do think the Salesmanship club is going to give the Nelson an advantage. Those guys can bring in the dough
grego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. I believe they have one of the biggest charity numbers on tour. Salesmanship club is a big piece of that. They also have a much larger corporate base and better GA numbers as well.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just passing along what I was told from a couple guys that I would think have heard as much as one could
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be with a bunch of Colonial guys this weekend. I'll find out what they know. This is also the group that really doesn't care for the tournament at their course and their lack of club access (including their own clubhouse during tournament week).
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I 100% agree with that

The owners at Houston Oaks let us vote on if we wanted to host the LPGA houston tournament. They included a giant list of pros and cons

They had a bunch on the list but the only actual "Pro" was the course would be on TV and more well known. Well no one cared about that thankfully. A strong majority voted no thanks
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been chairing the Houston Open for 10+ years now, and it has had a lot of ups and downs in that timeframe but overall the players have really enjoyed it since the move to Memorial. My concern moving forward is that if it is a Challenger event the sponsorships will greatly decline and it might force Crane to make a tough decision about continuing the tournament at Memorial. I believe the Texas Children's s title sponsorship will lapse in 2028, so they might be out too. Would be a pretty wild turn of events given how much money has been poured into the course and the surrounding park area since the move.
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colonial has Charles Shwab which also sponsors the senior tour. That's a pretty big stick to swing if the club wants it. I know there's a bunch who don't.
560ti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie369 said:

The players and mainly player's wives loved it at the four seasons....its been a **** show ever since

The players and fans/wives were actually on opposite ends.

The players hated four seasons. It was consistently voted by players as one of worst courses on the tour and even had a season in which it was voted the #1 worst course. Hunter Mahon who lived 20 minutes from the course refused to play it in his prime and openly slandered it. That's unheard of for a local PGA pro but nobody really stood up to defend the course since it wasn't an uncommon view.

That's what made it polarizing. Players hated it but the families and fans loved it.
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
talked with my Colonial guy and he feels like 2027 is their final tournament. we will see.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
RigsTx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've heard the same. Tour rejected Schwab wanting to continue hosting as a Championship Series event. Want to give it to Dallas instead.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The players with families loved it at the hotel

At least the guys I had talked to had that feedback

There is a decent chance it goes back there
560ti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie369 said:

The players with families loved it at the hotel

At least the guys I had talked to had that feedback

There is a decent chance it goes back there

Okay but they aren't paid for social hour, they're paid to play golf, and reality was they didn't like the course so no it's never going back.

From a business standpoint it's pretty much impossible to go back. Four Seasons no longer manages both the resort and club which they were able to do previously because both were owned by the same company. It's now two different owners and two different management companies with different business directions

The golf club owners now run it as a member first year-round club so closing for a tournament would be negative financially and anger the members. The new resort owners who hired the Ritz to manage the property spent 50+ million turning it into a year-round high-end staycation destination. Blasting corporate grandstands and 200,000 fans across the property completely ruins that luxury ambiance.

The PGA tour is also financially incentivized to host it for the time being at Craig Ranch since it's a TPC course. They have more control and take home a higher percentage of the pie. They aren't going to hand that revenue over to a third-party management group like Century Golf or Marriott/Ritz-Carlton.

The current deal is signed till 2030. If the sponsorship extends and stays strong then it's more likely that they either renew at Craig Ranch or move to a brand-new facility that hasn't broken ground yet.



Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im just passing info along from current players

I personally know nothing about all of this
560ti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The info that their families liked the old resort I'm sure is factual but there's no way that an actual tour player legitimately thinks that the Byron Nelson has any chance of going back to Las Colinas. It's not feasible for the players, the resort, or the PGA tour.
AGMD87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a Colonial guy, I believe there is still a good chance they remain in the Championship level. Charles Schwab has made a very competitive bid for 2028. It is hard to say which coarse they will choose in DFW. You also have to remember that the CJ Cup is not even in Dallas County. No decisions have been made yet
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One unmentioned item is attendance. The Byron Nelson draws about 50-60k per day, and 2026 saw record 240k attendance in spite of a weak field. Colonial draws about 25-30% of that. Craig Ranch is ho hum, but it will play tougher in 2027. 2026 was post-renovation, but there was no wind, all the rain had it lift/clean/place with soft greens, and the rough was low given it was still maturing. Those new green complexes will be tricky when conditions are more normalized. They'll still go low, but it will not be nearly as extreme

Colonial certainly has the edge on history and I'd hate to see it end, but I do think the Nelson will get the nod. Salesmanship club + attendance support is going to be hard to pass up.
AGMD87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the salesmanship club as it is a wonderful organization, but it's all about the money for the PGA Tour. -31 won a year ago and -30 won this year. I don't think one more year is going to make it that much tougher. Due to the layout of the Byron Nelson, they are able to have many more fans on the grounds than Colonial country club is able to handle. I really think it will just come down to which tournament offers the PGA Tour the most money. Colonial country club has held a PGA event for 81 years and is the longest running continuous PGA Tour stop. As much as I would hope that they would honor tradition, I think it's all about the money.
TexasAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's really sad because for a long, long time, the Nelson had an amazing field when Byron was alive, and the 4 seasons was a great setup for fans, players, and families. Then you go to Colonial, a smaller traditional track that rewarded shotmakers and was a really fun, walkable course for fans as well. never would have thought both tournaments would be in the state they are in right now.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need to refer to the course by its proper name- TPC Craig T Nelson
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.