Takomo 101 mk2 review

1,098 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by agracer
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally made the leap to get some takomos. Never hit them before so didn't know what to expect. I'm coming from a set of Callaway Rogue ST Max OS irons. I'm a very high handicapper so take it for what it is... First thing, the takomos did not fix my bad slice.

My distance with the longer irons was quite a bit better though that could be attributed to the lighter 60g graphite shafts compared to the 85g steel ones I was coming from.

What surprised me the most was the forgiveness. I practice on a trackman and got very solid distance even when hitting well off the sweet spot. I can feel how badly I hit it and verified on the trackman the impact location yet the ball just goes.

The PW and GW have super chunky soles, honestly kind of bad looking. But the profile slims down quite a bit as the lofts decrease obviously. I love the look of the long clubs.

In the end, I'm very happy with this set so far. Haven't hit them on a course yet but I feel this was a good upgrade. I don't think I'm good enough to pay $1k+ new so this really works for me.
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The 101s are super game improvement so are going to very chunky vs even the 101T.

Regarding your slice, did you happen to be a pull hitter in baseball? As someone that fought the banana slice and banana hook the two biggest things that helped me swing through the ball were 1) feeling like I was hitting to right field (left field if you hit from the wrong side) and 2) having a tee or stick or something about 6inches in front of the ball and trying to stay down through that point.

But welcome to the Takomo club and when you feel ready their 301s are tremendous, and really like the wedges as well
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the classic outside in, face open syndrome. I've never played baseball seriously. I have some ways to get the path more in line but just have a tough time closing the face. Keeping my right elbow tucked in as well as visualizing hitting a few inches ahead of the ball helps but I haven't found a way to close the face. I've tried "revving" my left (lead) hand and that sometimes helps but physically I'm not sure I can do that without hurting myself (weak wrist from injury).

Recently, I've been wondering if my swing path is not steep enough for irons. Right now my most confident club is a 5W which would be a shallower swing. But then, my driver slices too. LOL
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG





Do this and try to feel like club face is pointed beind you...opposite of your target line. It wont ever be there cause you will start rotating at some point but thats a great drill and "feel"
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! but when did this turn into a fix my swing thread?

One of the more helpful things that immediately helps is standing closed with right leg a few inches behind.
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
flintdragon said:

Thanks! but when did this turn into a fix my swing thread?

One of the more helpful things that immediately helps is standing closed with right leg a few inches behind.
you told a bunch of golfers you struggle with a slice, it's gonna happen. You could have been talking about pizza and swing fixes would have started coming in
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yah... appreciate all the help really. I need it. I really need a coach.
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Take lessons, even some group lessons to start with.

I started playing again 11 years ago and was shooting over 100 all the time. Took half dozen lessons over 4 months and broke 90 for the first time in my life.

Low round for me personally is 82 and it was on a course I'd never played in Bentonville, AR when I went down for a dad's weekend and played with my son.

Of course I was hitting the range twice a week and playing 9 one evening an 18 on the weekends every week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.