Best Public Driving Range/Practice facilities - Houston

2,036 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
BrisketTaco10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would yall recommend for a practice facility in Houston proper, with grass driving range? Open to public.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Marti Golf Center southwest side of town off 59 outside bw8.
terradactylexpress
Super poor pickings in this city: marti, gus wortham are probably the best bets for grass but have no short range areas. cypresswood has a good short game area but last I was there they were in process of moving the range back to traditions supposedly
Ag_07
AG
Jersey Meadows at Jones Rd and 290

Course is a complete goat track but there's a grass range, short game chipping area with bunker, and a putting green.
cablinaggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jersey Meadows at Jones Rd and 290

Course is a complete goat track but there's a grass range, short game chipping area with bunker, and a putting green.

grass range? I've only been there twice since the renovation but all I've hit off of were mats.
Aggie369
AG
Houston national has good turf to hit on if they aren't on mats

Blackhorse has a decent chipping area
Krondaddy
East river 9 does grass 4x a week and it's a view into to city skyline
Ragoo
AG
Used to be Swanson's but he turned it into a bar
Ag_07
AG
I haven't been in a while but it used to be grass. They had the mats but everyone was hitting off the grass.
The Milkman
AG
5050 Acorn still grass? Its just a range but always nice to find a grass one
Ag_07
AG
The Milkman said:

Grass range doesn't mean shlt if you're hitting 40 year old balls that are sliced with no dimples.

I hate this place with a passion. It's awful. You're better off not practicing than practicing here.
GoAgs92
AG
Not a range but Meadowbrook farms has a good chipping green, range itself is pricey.
terradactylexpress
Agreed, pisses me off to no end. I don't understand how they haven't spent any money on what matters there
BrisketTaco10
AG
Thank you all for your insight and recommendations. I've tried Marti and Acorn 5050 in the past and was hoping that there was something better that I'd been missing. I'll have to try Gus for their range and Jersey Meadows.

Turf experts may have some insight but it seems like a good opportunity for someone to open a range/practice facility given the dearth of options. Maybe the ROI isn't that great on a driving range, I dunno, but I know I'd use a decent facility often if it was available.
thenational
AG
Wildcat has a good range, and chipping area. 2 days a week I believe they let you hit off the grass, mats the other days.
E
AG
Gus has turf mats that you have to use more often then not on the range for a while now.

Also Acorn sucks, youre hitting cracked balls off of hard dirt and its more expensive then Memorial Park. don't waste your time.

AgLA06
AG
This is the biggest conundrum I have with a 9 year old learning the game. Practically no where anywhere close to the house to regularly practice.

I finally gave in and ordered stuff to be able to mostly work at the house because of it.

• Chipping target nets
  • Inside 20' putting mat
  • Nice and cushioned hitting mat
  • birdie balls and bright colored wiffle balls
  • neon yellow 10' wire circle that folds up to replicate a green for irons

It allows us to practice putting inside in the hallways, chipping in the back yard from the mats to the chipping targets, and irons from the driveway to across the street with the birdie balls.

Still have to go to a driving range weekly for the real deal and driver / woods. East River 9 is further than some of the options mentioned, but no longer of a drive because of the freeway. And much better atmosphere.
MarylandAG
Cypress Lakes is off grass on the range, they will use their matts (which are terrible!) occasionally but it rare, almost exclusively on grass. Here is a tip, pay for your bucket of balls and go to the back of the range, it is usually in great shape because almost everyone hits at the front. The putting green is in good shape and large. Most people think the chipping area is right next to the club house, although you can pitch/chip there the better short game area is past hole 1 right by the tips for hole 5. The only thing missing is a quality bunker to practice, there is one on the back of the range but not the greatest. They used to (probably still do) have a $50-60 unlimited range membership.
MarylandAG
If you are coming to check Jersey Meadows out you might as well come check Cypress Lakes!!!
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Milkman said:

Grass range doesn't mean shlt if you're hitting 40 year old balls that are sliced with no dimples.

I hate this place with a passion. It's awful. You're better off not practicing than practicing here.

I thought it had sold and was going to have apartments/townhomes put on it? I live about 5 min away but haven't driven by it in a while. Used to be walking distance but only went a couple times.
rednecked
AG
MarylandAG said:

Cypress Lakes is off grass on the range, they will use their matts (which are terrible!) occasionally but it rare, almost exclusively on grass. Here is a tip, pay for your bucket of balls and go to the back of the range, it is usually in great shape because almost everyone hits at the front. The putting green is in good shape and large. Most people think the chipping area is right next to the club house, although you can pitch/chip there the better short game area is past hole 1 right by the tips for hole 5. The only thing missing is a quality bunker to practice, there is one on the back of the range but not the greatest. They used to (probably still do) have a $50-60 unlimited range membership.
I play and practice here. in this area it's about as good as you can get. Jersey Meadows practice area is better as their chipping area is excellent.
David_Puddy
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Milkman said:

2nd that.....also you're basically hitting off of mud and divots versus grass
cablinaggie
AG
MarylandAG said:

No, I don't recommend this place at all. Delete this.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Man, I used to run the pro shop for Mulligan's Golf while I was in high school, located off Jones Road. Lit Par 3 with Driving Range. It wasn't perfect by any means but a great place to practice. Makes me sad to drive by there now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.