Michigan

2,158 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jonj101
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at playing at an event outside Rockford, Illinois in September with some friends, and now I'm kicking around the idea of going up solo a week or so early and driving over to Michigan and experiencing some of the courses there.

I already had Arcadia Bluffs on my radar, but are there any other recommendations within the state that anyone has?

While Crystal Downs would be awesome, I doubt my club has the pull to get me on there. But if you do have some private options that are open to reciprocity that you'd like to recommend, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
TXAGGIES
No knock on Michigan but a trip of Whistling, Erin Hills and The Bog would be awesome. All 3 courses are within 3 hours of Rockford.
The Milkman
AG
I'm assuming you are planning on taking the ferry across the lake then? Because driving around it up to the northern side of the LP would be a bit of a hike.

Up that way I've been trying to finagle to a trip to play the Loop at Forest Dunes both ways.

Hell even with the ferry and getting up to the Arcadia area it would still take you 6+ hours. In that time you could get to the UP and play Greywalls and a couple others
NColoradoAG
Every time I try and plan a Michigan trip it seems there's too much driving between the courses.
The Milkman
AG
If you set up in Traverse City you could play at least half a dozen great ones within 75 minute drive or so
NColoradoAG
The Milkman said:

If you set up in Traverse City you could play at least half a dozen great ones within 75 minute drive or so
That's kind of my point. Three hours round trip from Traverse City to Arcadia, Bay Harbor, and Forest Dunes isn't ideal. But that's just for my crew. Others may find that to not be as cumbersome.
The Milkman
AG
Yeah its not as ideal as a one stop shop sure. I guess being from Houston just skews my driving tolerance.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Every time I try and plan a Michigan trip it seems there's too much driving between the courses.

That's me. I really want to hit Forest Dunes and Arcadia but they are a ways from each other.
JYDog90
AG
Check this out:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5vefWGHKLbOUzPqqO1g0S7XM9BLS--oN&si=R3_2k8X3aDsXYDTW
Formerly Willy Wonka
snowaggie
https://gaylordgolfmecca.com/courses/mecca-courses/

Shift the center of your radius to Gaylord and you get all this. Kinda an under-the-radar place because all the coastal areas get the attention.
Kylechinn
Definitely out of the way, but Belvedere in Charlevoix is one of my favorite courses I've ever played. Both courses at Arcadia are great as well. Bay Harbor is cool, but nowhere near worth the price. Forest Dunes is great, didn't get to play the Loop when I was there - most people I know that have played either love it or hate it.
Big Shoulders
Crystal Downs is outstanding, but quirky. No drinking on the golf course. Have to pay for your round with a personal check (or at least that was the case the few times I was there).

Kingsley Club is very close and is quite a bit more accessible, I believe. it is also a fantastic golf course. Probably my favorite in Michigan. Forest Dunes is also good and has lodging on the property.

Another really great option, on the way up or back is Wuskhowan. I believe it is near Holland, and I may have misspelled it, but it is a really good golf course and the couple of times I have played it, it was in perfect condition.
jonj101
Thanks for the replies so far. This input really has me now thinking of other options than I was initially thinking (both in Michigan and now Wisconsin).

Between the NLU vids that I binge watched and mapping out the courses suggested on this thread, its become evident that there is a lot of good golf in this region that I have to consider. The good thing is this event is becoming an annual thing so if I do it in the future I can plan various areas/courses each year if everything works out.

What is also evident is that its going to have to be a solo endeavor. I have no problem driving between desired courses that I decide on in Michigan, but the guys I know wouldn't go for it.

Once again, thanks for the insight and if there are any other suggestions keep them coming. Once I finalize an itinerary I'll post it.

Big Shoulders
It may be fully booked, but if you are thinking Wisconsin and you are going to be in Rockford, Sand Valley would be my first thought. Less than three hours away, and fantastic golf.
AgLA06
AG
NColoradoAG said:

The Milkman said:

That's kind of my point. Three hours round trip from Traverse City to Arcadia, Bay Harbor, and Forest Dunes isn't ideal. But that's just for my crew. Others may find that to not be as cumbersome.

Get a driver and a van and enjoy it with beverages. That's not much different than what we drive to drop my daughter off at her golf academy twice a week.
CoppellAg93
AG
Kylechinn said:

Definitely out of the way, but Belvedere in Charlevoix is one of my favorite courses I've ever played. Both courses at Arcadia are great as well. Bay Harbor is cool, but nowhere near worth the price. Forest Dunes is great, didn't get to play the Loop when I was there - most people I know that have played either love it or hate it.
I've played Belvedere with my dad - he was a caddie there when he was growing up - great course. His family lived in Charlevoix (where I am at this exact moment.)

There are a lot of good courses within 30-45 minutes of this area. I would recommend A-Ga-Ming Sundance course - my dad and I loved it. Dunmaglas is another good one - fun but tough.

I am thinking of planning a golf trip here next summer with my regular golfing buddies.
jonj101
Played Pilgrims Run yesterday. I thought it was outstanding.

The condition, fun factor, hospitality, unique story/background and other characteristics all just come together at this place. It was my first round in Michigan, and got my trip off to a great start.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.