The Open

13,549 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by E
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
or the British Open?

It's the British Open. To call it the Open diminishes the US Open, the true championship of golf.

After all, if it wasn't for the US, it'd be called the Nazi Germany Open...and not many would want that.
watty
AG
I always call it the British Open.
Matsui
AG
British!
concac
AG
I call it the British Open just to piss off the snobs.
Aggie95
AG
what's the weather forecast for this week? The British Open is best when it's windy
AggieDruggist89
AG
Aggie95 said:

what's the weather forecast for this week? The British Open is best when it's windy

Shut your mouth, I'm there in 2 weeks. Praying for 72 deg sunny no wind.
Aggie95
AG
well, since I didn't get an invite...no!

seriously, The British Open can get rather boring if it's calm all 4 days. Ideally you get the full gamut. A really tough windy/showers day, a day or two of calm conditions.
HeyAbbott
AG
The weather forecast isn't looking too good for this weekend at Royal Troon. So getting good scores on Thursday and Friday will be big.
chick79
AG
Growing up as a kid in the 60s when Nicklaus and Palmer were in their prime it was always The British Open. Not sure when it became in vogue to call it The Open.
aginlakeway
AG
chick79 said:

Growing up as a kid in the 60s when Nicklaus and Palmer were in their prime it was always The British Open. Not sure when it became in vogue to call it The Open.

Since 1860.

It has never been called the British Open by the folks who actually run the event. The British Open was an American term used starting around 1895 to differentiate between the U.S. Open and The Open.

In 2005, the R&A asked ESPN and NBC to refer to the tournament by its proper name. Ironically, the Golf Channel has always called it The Open and never the British Open, going back to TGC's debut in 1995.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
chick79
AG
I realize it's always officially been The Open but it's only been in recent years that it has not been referred to as The British Open.
aginlakeway
AG
chick79 said:

I realize it's always officially been The Open but it's only been in recent years that it has not been referred to as The British Open.

Incorrect. The folks running the event have never called it the British Open. Only Americans did that.

And I am 100% sure that The Golf Channel always referred to it as The Open. TGC never called it the British Open.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
JYDog90
AG
The Open Championship
Formerly Willy Wonka
Kansas Kid
chick79 said:

Only in the US and a very few other places is it called the British Open. It was the original and most non US players think it is a bigger event to win than the US Open.
wangus12
AG
Course is wrecking people. Love to see it
Kansas Kid
wangus12 said:

A lot of big names will have to have a great Friday just to make the cut. There is a reason The Open produces a number of totally unexpected winners.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Kansas Kid said:

wangus12 said:

A lot of big names will have to have a great Friday just to make the cut. There is a reason The Open produces a number of totally unexpected winners.
And this is why I've always said links golf is Mickey Mouse golf and hate Bandon Dunes golf.

Love the outing in Bandon but hate the golf. Scotland here I come in 12 days!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Is this the official thread or just the one where we argue about the name? Wind seems to be keeping scores down so far.
Kansas Kid
98Ag99Grad said:

Is this the official thread or just the one where we argue about the name? Wind seems to be keeping scores down so far.

It might as well be the official thread.
Danny Vermin
Tiger with a nice 30 foster for Birdie. Hope he makes the cut.
AggieDruggist89
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

You mean up?

We now need to add this as the argument #2 at the British Open.
concac
AG
Mclroy finished his round with a cool 78.
Bunk Moreland
When the weather is good this might be my least favorite major. When the weather is not good it might be my favorite.

Loving the action so far.
Kansas Kid
Absolutely.

I look forward to Druggist posting a lot on F golf in a few weeks if the weather is bad.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Kansas Kid said:

Absolutely.

I look forward to Druggist posting a lot on F golf in a few weeks if the weather is bad.
Working on my bump and run with Wilson FG17 fluid feel 1 iron...
watty
AG
Awful break for Tiger on that long par 3, then a painful miss on the bogey putt. Not sure what made it move at the last second but with conditions like this, Tiger will need to play well the rest of the way just to shoot 75.
Kansas Kid
AggieDruggist89 said:

Kansas Kid said:

Absolutely.

Working on my bump and run with Wilson FG17 fluid feel 1 iron...

So F golf it will be….
concac
AG
Aggie golfer Jaime Montojo just got some screen time showing him holing his 2nd shot from the fairway for an eagle.
Bunk Moreland
Koepka on a hell of a birdie run after starting +2 thru 3.
MW03
AG
Some notables as of 10:30AM CT for the casuals like me:

Thomas -3
Rose -2
Koepka -2
Fightin Texas Aggie Amateur Jamie Montojo -2
Xander -1
Lowry -1
Scott -1
Cantlay E
Niemann E
Finau E
Day E
Clark E
Lee E
Spieth E
Scheffler E
Harrington +1
Morikowa +1
Rahm +2
Hatton +2
Bradley +3
Woods +3
Burns +3
Aberg +4
Hovland +4
Smith +4
Johnson +5
Cink +5
Fleetwood +5
Bryson +5
Homa +5
Zalatoris +5
Stenson +%
Theegala +6
Fowler +6
Rory +7
Oosthuizen +7
Leonard +9
Els +9
BIG JOHN DALY +11
AggieDruggist89
AG
Would love to see John Daly post on F GOLF thread..
concac
AG
Boring golf. Every hole looks the same.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yep., boring Plus they're not even showing every shot of Tigers
watty
AG
I'm getting to see it all on feature group coverage
The Milkman
AG
concac said:

Boring golf. Every hole looks the same.
Don't worry they'll be back at TPC Twin Cities for the 3M next week and out of the hellish golf landscape that is Scotland

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.