Used Club recommendations

759 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GoAgs92
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My kid just started getting interested in Golf a year or so ago, I bought a cheap set of used RAM irons on ebay for him in case it was just a phase. Plus if you can hit those older style clubs (1998 ish), newer clubs should be easier and result in improvement.

He has some rudimentary talent and he is going to try out for his HS golf team. Based on their public scores I can see him making JV. He definitely needs some tweaks to his swing/balance etc.

I don't believe he is "good" enough for a pro fitting just yet, so I am thinking of getting a recent-ish set of clubs based on his physical measurements, swing speed for the shafts etc..

Any advice on decent irons for a kid?

I have been contemplating Stix Outlet clubs from 2022, 5-PW for $250, but I only know what I see on youtube which may or not be honest.
clobby
AG
2ndswing, callaway pre-owned, facebook marketplace
JB93
There are charts out there (Ping has a good one that I will link) that compare height and wrist to floor measurements to make suggestions about length and lie of clubs (as compared to standard). Our Fitting Process - Iron Fitting - PING

For example - I'm shorter than average height and my ideal clubs are 1/4" shorter than standard and 2 degrees flat vs standard lie. Without that, my irons look toe up at address and the heel can catch the turf first on contact which shuts the face and makes me miss left (for a right hander).

For shaft flex, you could go with something as simple as what is 7 iron carry distance. Under 150 regular flex is likely fine. Over 150 probably stiff would be better. Those aren't hard rules.

That said - if he is getting good enough to make the HS team then $200 is worth it for a fitting. That doesn't mean you have to buy $1000 set of clubs but at least know ideal specs and recommended shaft. Take that info and hit the used rack to see if you can find something to match. If lie only needs adjusted a couple of degrees, most clubs can be bent. Ask before you buy as there could be some clubs that are difficult to bend.
Matsui
AG
How old is he and how tall is he? I've got some extra junior sets
GoAgs92
AG
16, and he is 6'1"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.