Course Recommendations for Phoenix area

2,133 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by jja79
ColoAggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking my dad on a golf trip next week for his birthday, any recommendations on courses to play/avoid?
William Larue Weller
AG
Troon North is awesome
ColoAggie12
AG
Awesome! Thanks!
jja79
AG
Where are y'all coming from? Have you thought about doing a 1/2 birthday trip in December? It's hot AF right now. I play 4 or 5 days a week. 9 holes starting at 6PM and drink 3 or 4 waters and keep towels on ice and change them a couple times during the 9 holes.
ColoAggie12
AG
We are coming from Denver but we are doing it during the summer for the discounted hotels and airfare (hopefully green fees too). We played in Las Vegas this time last year and the early morning/late afternoon tee times seem to be the ideal price point while also not overheating (too much at least)
jja79
AG
I was out at We-Ko-Pa Saturday placing a wager on the Aggies and drove over to the golf shop when I left. It was about 112 and the parking lot and bag drop were full at 1 PM. You'll definitely be saving money.
Aggie369
AG
I'd recommend we-ko-pa
Ag_07
AG
Troon North is cool but I didn't like it from a golf standpoint.

The views are awesome especially over the valley late in the day during sunset and the course is immaculate.

But golf wise it was a miss. It's kinda gimmicky and super tight target golf. Like super almost unfair tight.
ColoAggie12
AG
Has anyone heard of/played Verrado Golf Club? They have a great rating online and wondered if anyone has played there before?
jja79
AG
Yes. It's far west valley up against the White Tank Mountains. Other than Quintero most of the tourist type golf is central and east so you don't hear about it much. I like it. I ust don't go that direction much. They have 2 courses. I like the Founder's course.

Can never go wrong with We-Ko-Pa.

Might be a good idea to check maintenance schedules for the courses you've thinking about.
ElCheAg
AG
Gold Canyon Resort - Dinosaur Course (a real gem for the price IMO).

Enjoy the golf and time with your Pops.
jja79
AG
I thought we were keeping that a secret.
CyclingAg82
AG
Grayhawk is great also. Played the Talon, need to play the Raptor.
ColoAggie12
AG
Thanks y'all!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
jja79
AG
That looks optimistic. It's monsoon season so it's humid.

We Ko Pa Cholla is closed right now to punch. Saguaro will be closed for a couple of months for bunker renovation. Not sure which but one of the Grayhawk will be closed most of July to punch.

Definitely call and check on that.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
All things Phoenix golf we trust in JJ !!
jja79
AG
It's 111 degrees at 6PM and we just got to the tee box.
ColoAggie12
AG
Hit em straight!
ElCheAg
AG
There's always exceptions.
jja79
AG
Enjoy your trip next week and let us know where y'all playe.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
jja79 said:

No way dude, I would die.
jja79
AG
This isn't the topic of the thread but since you mentioned it. You have to think about the weather when you move here full time. This is my second summer living here and you just adapt or you don't. When I tell me people I moved here from Houston most ask how anyone could possibly live there. Anyone that's visited Houston from here can't get over the humidity and combination of hot and miserable. Here it's just hot. When the daytime highs get back down to 85 everyone will be wearing hoodies. The majority of the year is so awesome you just take this with it.

I wouldn't advise anyone not used to it visiting here in the summer. If you make it a second year like I have you just plan your day to be outside early and late and not noon to 6 or so.

Sounds like the OP and his dad survived Las Vegas last summer so maybe this won't be a thing to them and they'll have a memorable time. Looking forward to his report.

PSA if you do come in the summer plan a tubing trip on the Salt River. Easy to get to in Mesa and the wild horses you likely will see on the Tonto National Forest are a bonus.
jja79
AG
I was at Raven yesterday. It's just south of Sky Harbor and up against South Mountain. Not a desert course but it's in really good shape and I think very underrated.
mosesrab90
AG
Don't wear flip flops this time of year - will melt on your feet in a parking lot
jja79
AG
Someone starred this?
TXAG 05
AG
jja79 said:

Someone starred this?

Well it's good advice
AggieDruggist89
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

jja79 said:

You're weak!
ColoAggie12
AG
Played Troon North, We-Ko-Pa, Gold Mountain, and Wildfire. Wonderful courses and lots of early tee times so it didn't get too hot! Thanks for all the recommendations y'all
AgOutsideAustin
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

jja79 said:

You're weak!

Yep, got no problem with avoiding hot rounds of golf.

Don't freeze your wee shillelagh off on your trip!!
jja79
AG
How were the conditions? We Ko Pa is the only one of those I've been to recently and it was in pretty good shape two weeks ago. I was really surprised there were no brown spots at Raven sunday.
ColoAggie12
AG
Every one of them was in great condition. Quite green and pretty soft. Played some of the best golf of my life!
Baby Billy
AG
jja79 said:

I was at Raven yesterday. It's just south of Sky Harbor and up against South Mountain. Not a desert course but it's in really good shape and I think very underrated.

Used to play out there all the time during the year or so I lived in Phoenix. Loved it
jja79
AG
Raven doesn't check the right boxes I guess for buddy's golf trips but I think it's a hidden gem and the price is better than the "tourist" courses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.