*** 124th U.S. Open ***

53,884 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah that's a crock of shlt too but I don't think many LIV guys have said that.

Most of them including Brooks and DJ have flat out said it was a decision made for the betterment of their family. More money for less golf. Who wouldn't do it?
lazuras_dc
AG
Just googled Brysons gf. Holy batman! https://instagr.am/p/Clgr_OKLg8Q

HeyAbbott
AG
Just hope she doesn't turn into Holly Sonders.
concac
AG
And she's only 20. Bryson is a sly dog.
JCA1
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I'm not going to kill the guy over it, but it is interesting seeing the usual suspects in the media working hard to excuse it vs the newer wave of media people rightly questioning it.

Ironically enough, Norman choking to Faldo was as bad or worse than what happened to Rory Sunday and he faced the music.

I know Bryson made his putt and Xander made it on top of his so it isn't apples:apples but he made sure to congratulate Xander at Valhalla after being excruciatingly close.

The optics of him sneaking out through the back door, tossing his clubs in the car and spinning the tires in the gravel as he got the hell out of there just didn't look good...especially as mentioned...the optics of him staying to congratulate Bryson, then politely decline media and leave would have been very healthy for the game.

Don't look now Bunk, but we agree on this one. He should have stayed and faced the music with the media, but I can't get too worked up over that. He's now on year 10 of coming close and this was the most painful of all. But not staying to congratulate Bryson was the far worse sin. He only finished 5 minutes in front of him. If he didn't want to be in public, he should have at least waited in the scorer's area until Bryson came in, congratulated him, and then hightailed it.
The Milkman
AG
I've come around quite a bit on Bryson like many others have, but I do think it was very eye roll how much he was hamming it up about Payne. Acted as if he was some childhood hero, but then also said earlier in the week that it was only after he got to SMU that he learned Payne also went there.
AgLA06
AG
Outside of recent Aggies, I couldn't tell you where players went to college. Because it doesn't really matter in regards to professional golf. And it's only been the last couple of years you could even follow / view them play.
concac
AG
JCA1 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I'm not going to kill the guy over it, but it is interesting seeing the usual suspects in the media working hard to excuse it vs the newer wave of media people rightly questioning it.

Ironically enough, Norman choking to Faldo was as bad or worse than what happened to Rory Sunday and he faced the music.

I know Bryson made his putt and Xander made it on top of his so it isn't apples:apples but he made sure to congratulate Xander at Valhalla after being excruciatingly close.

The optics of him sneaking out through the back door, tossing his clubs in the car and spinning the tires in the gravel as he got the hell out of there just didn't look good...especially as mentioned...the optics of him staying to congratulate Bryson, then politely decline media and leave would have been very healthy for the game.

Don't look now Bunk, but we agree on this one. He should have stayed and faced the music with the media, but I can't get too worked up over that. He's now on year 10 of coming close and this was the most painful of all. But not staying to congratulate Bryson was the far worse sin. He only finished 5 minutes in front of him. If he didn't want to be in public, he should have at least waited in the scorer's area until Bryson came in, congratulated him, and then hightailed it.
But nobody else stayed and all of them lost to Bryson. Where was Cantlay, Aberg, Finau, or Matsuyama?
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

But nobody else stayed and all of them lost to Bryson. Where was Cantlay, Aberg, Finau, or Matsuyama?

The entire back 9 was Rory v Bryson. Cantlay was sorta around I guess but there's a reason only Rory was sitting in the scorer's room waiting to see if we were going to go to a playoff or not. They were the men in the arena. Had Rory finished where Aberg did, nobody would have expected him to go congratulate Bryson.
concac
AG
I just think people are making a big deal out of nothing.
bagger05
AG
Unemployed said:

I just think people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Are you sure? That doesn't sound like something people would do…
Old Tom Morris
Yes, unless playing with a guy or buddies with him, you don't see 2nd place guys sticking around to congratulate a winner. Good on Bryson for doing it at the PGA. Commendable. Not the norm. This whole thing is stupid.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Unemployed said:

JCA1 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Finau and Aberg didn't lose to Bryson. They lost to hole 13.
zgolfz85
AG
Unemployed said:

And she's only 20. Bryson is a sly dog.
dude is a genius. lock it in for the long haul
Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8THQ48NXmo/?igsh=MTBuaGw3cnBuNmI5OQ==
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

PJYoung
AG
"He's the reason I went to SMU, first off," DeChambeau said. "I'll never forget walking into the SMU athletic department funny enough, I actually didn't know he went there and I wore the hat as a bit of a tribute to Payne and Ben Hogan. Growing up, big Ben Hogan fanatic. Knowing what Payne meant to the game of golf, also, Payne Stewart fan. When I went to SMU, in the athletic department on the wall I saw a mural of him, and I'm like, Oh, my gosh, he went to SMU? They're like, 'Yeah, didn't you know?' I was like, 'No, I didn't know he went here.'

"That was probably the moment I decided to go to SMU, when I saw that mural on the wall."
JCA1
AG
PJYoung said:

"He's the reason I went to SMU, first off," DeChambeau said. "I'll never forget walking into the SMU athletic department funny enough, I actually didn't know he went there and I wore the hat as a bit of a tribute to Payne and Ben Hogan. Growing up, big Ben Hogan fanatic. Knowing what Payne meant to the game of golf, also, Payne Stewart fan. When I went to SMU, in the athletic department on the wall I saw a mural of him, and I'm like, Oh, my gosh, he went to SMU? They're like, 'Yeah, didn't you know?' I was like, 'No, I didn't know he went here.'

"That was probably the moment I decided to go to SMU, when I saw that mural on the wall."

FWIW, the NLU guys reported the mural wasn't there when he was recruited. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe he made it up or maybe he's misremembering. Memories can be funny that way.
PJYoung
AG
JCA1 said:

PJYoung said:

FWIW, the NLU guys reported the mural wasn't there when he was recruited. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe he made it up or maybe he's misremembering. Memories can be funny that way.

Agreed.

I prefer to give everybody the benefit of the doubt.
bagger05
AG
Yeah I'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt. I used to think of memories as video recordings that are stored on a hard drive and remembering them is like accessing a file but apparently that's not really how memories work. Research suggests that "false memories" is something that affects everybody.

I think it's very unlikely that he's straight up lying about it.
bagger05
AG
In case anyone is curious:

False Memories: When Your Brain Makes Stuff Up | TIME.com
I Am A Critic
JCA1 said:

PJYoung said:

Maybe it was a poster or a picture and not a mural. Maybe the mural came later and he misremembered.
Username checks out.
Old Tom Morris
This is what I would assume. Saw a pic, now that memory merged with the mural.
Bunk Moreland
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8cSnu6AVxg/?igsh=MTMybjdzYnphbmRreQ==

Bryson is a GOOD dude.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.