*** 124th U.S. Open ***

53,960 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hell of a birdie
Bunk Moreland
What a bounce back
Bunk Moreland
So far this has been a perfect US Open course imo.
bagger05
AG
Agreed. When the USGA announced they were going to go back to Pinehurst every 5-6 years I wasn't too psyched but this has really been a great setup.
Harry Stone
AG
My son is a huge Bryson fan. This was last week at the LIV

98Ag99Grad
AG
Bad double but followed it up with a great bird. I will be pulling for him tomorrow.
mike_ags_fan12
Has to be Rory and Bryson for the final pairing, right?
Bunk Moreland
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Believe it's Bryson Pavon
98Ag99Grad
AG
Yeah Rory and no hat Pat are paired together. Lacava is ready to step on his line if he has to.
E King Trill
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

So far this has been a perfect US Open course imo.
this
E King Trill
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

It should be but whoever finishes first, Pavon in this case, goes out later..... dumb rule
Bunk Moreland
E King Trill said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

It should be but whoever finishes first, Pavon in this case, goes out later..... dumb rule

Is that the way they decide? I thought it was previous round score of both guys scored the same during the current round.
E King Trill
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

E King Trill said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

Is that the way they decide? I thought it was previous round score of both guys scored the same during the current round.
Sure is - dumb rule - should be optimized to generate fan interest
MAROON
AG
think the players would agree with you on that?
E King Trill
AG
MAROON said:

think the players would agree with you on that?
The players clearly don't know what's best for them - case in point the PGAT - PIF negotiations
JYDog90
AG
Harry Stone said:

He's definitely working hard to engage the fans. So much so that the crowd may be more pro Bryson than Rory today.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Kansas Kid
Rory has his fans but I think Bryson has taken the casual fan favorite title from Phil at the majors. There will be a lot of USA chants again today.
wildmen09
AG
JYDog90 said:

Harry Stone said:

He's definitely working hard to engage the fans. So much so that the crowd may be more pro Bryson than Rory today.

Got to watch him on the practice round. He engaged the kids around us. Was nice to see.
OP
AG
Y'all listen for the pro Bryson and USA chants. It's the same 3 guys.

For as image obsessed league as LIV is, I have a hard time believing they wouldn't plant some vocal people in the gallery to follow their own and have one goal - to be heard.

Disclaimer - I absolutely despise Bryson. Palpable insecurity complex. Pulling for Rors with all I have today.
Project Gemini
AG
Good lord.

I don't love the guy but I think he deserves some respect for working hard at the game the way that makes sense to him and having some success with his own approach.
MAROON
AG
You despise Bryson? Really?

What has he ever done to you that would make you despise him?
Old Tom Morris
Pace today could be interesting. Bryson and Aberg were nearly on the clock yesterday, and Aberg plays super fast so logic tells you Bryson was the issue. If Pavon is much slower, could become an issue
AgLA06
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Pace today could be interesting. Bryson and Aberg were nearly on the clock yesterday, and Aberg plays super fast so logic tells you Bryson was the issue. If Pavon is much slower, could become an issue

You don't get to trick up a course that won't hold approach shots or chips so pros are scrambling for double and triple bogie and then complain about pace of play.
Old Tom Morris
Yet they do
98Ag99Grad
AG
I think they got out of position yesterday because of the triple Aberg had on 13. Didn't look like they/Bryson was slow

And Cantlay isn't exactly a speedster so they shouldn't be far behind today if everyone plays normal and no big numbers.
JCA1
AG
Everyone is playing the same course so if you're out of position, you're playing too slow regardless of the set up.
concac
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

I think they got out of position yesterday because of the triple Aberg had on 13. Didn't look like they/Bryson was slow

And Cantlay isn't exactly a speedster so they shouldn't be far behind today if everyone plays normal and no big numbers.
And Bryson also got worked on by the physiologist.
bowhuntr
Bryson has done a lot to make himself more like-able - he likely has some sort of executive coach showing him his blind spots. He still comes across as awkwardly arrogant the few times I've seen him in person, most recently during a Masters practice round. Just had some weird interactions with fans where he was self deprecating and arrogant all in the same conversation.
JCA1
AG
Seen some Bryson-Mickelson comparisons and I think that's a fair comp. Both play a very entertaining style of golf. Both try to ingratiate themselves with the fans and try the "awe shucks" routine. But it's pretty clear both are incredibly arrogant.
Baby Billy
AG
Holy **** Brandel is annoying.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
All of the announcers are.
Bunk Moreland
Bryson back to 6 under. Getting tighter.
OP
AG
lol I know it sounds trivial but my reasons are

That hat he wore for years
The commentary on some of his equipment decisions (carrying a compass etc) had a "I'm changing the game forever" feel to it
The pimping a drive in rd 2 of a tournament like it was a walk off grand slam
The swing alone is just weird
The LIV decision
Watched a couple of his YouTube things and he just seems like someone you wouldn't want to be friends with.
LIV team name is THE CRUSHERS. Oooof

Realize I'm more alone in my opinions of him than I thought so I'll hold them in.

Go Rory!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Rory about to bogey the par 5. Bad break where his second shot finished.
Project Gemini
AG
OP said:

lol I know it sounds trivial but my reasons are

That hat he wore for years
The commentary on some of his equipment decisions (carrying a compass etc) had a "I'm changing the game forever" feel to it
The pimping a drive in rd 2 of a tournament like it was a walk off grand slam
The swing alone is just weird
The LIV decision
Watched a couple of his YouTube things and he just seems like someone you wouldn't want to be friends with.

Realize I'm more alone in my opinions of him than I thought so I'll hold them in.

Go Rory!
I get people who dont like him. The despise comment was a little a much, I'm not sure he's done something ever that has reached more than an annoyance level with him from my view. I will say, he seems to have a fair amount more outliers in both directions compared to the average golfer. You listed a lot of the negatives, but he also has some good moments too...the one recently where the adult grabbed the ball meant for a kid and he went back to make it right comes to mind. I think he's got some social issues, and we shouldnt look down on that as a society, even more so because he's clearly tried to work on them and likely gotten help we dont hear about. But he does try too hard in some circumstances to be liked.

Back to golf though, Bryson and Rory are letting the field come back into play a little here with some mistakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.