ANGC has lengthened hole 13

2,906 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Just an Ag
1872walker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The property was purchased from Augusta Coubtry Club a few years ago and prep work was done last year. The new tee box is now open and should be in play next April. It should bring true risk/reward and strategy back to the pros.

https://golf.com/news/augusta-nationals-new-longer-13th-tee/

Bunk Moreland
probably adds another 40 yards or so?
Yesterday
AG
Awesome! Now only big hitters can win unlike before where only…..big hitters can win.
oldschool87
AG
Yesterday said:

Awesome! Now only big hitters can win unlike before where only…..big hitters can win.
The hole calls for a draw... How can you hit a draw down a shoot 20(and thats being kind) yards wide... I can draw with the best of them, but you can't hook it 300....
JCA1
AG
Yesterday said:

Over the last 20 years, Mike Weir, Zach Johnson, Spieth, Immelman, etc. have all won. They're not exactly known for their distance. I don't think ANGC favors big hitters any more than any other course.
Yesterday
AG
JCA1 said:

Yesterday said:

Over the last 20 years, Mike Weir, Zach Johnson, Spieth, Immelman, etc. have all won. They're not exactly known for their distance. I don't think ANGC favors big hitters any more than any other course.

It absolutely favors big hitters. You need great approach shots to win there. Both Immelmann and Spieth were top third of the tour in driving distance. Zach Johnson won on a cold/rainy week that helped negate long hitters who had to lay up. Nearly everyone else can drive the ball a long way. The stats are pretty clear on this.

Making 13 40 yards longer prevents the really high hitters from cutting the corner but they can still put the ball in play for an Eagle much easier than the short hitters. Even more so now.
oldschool87
AG
JCA1 said:

Yesterday said:

Augusta tests every club in your bag, I agree that it is not a grip it and rip it course. However, if your driver is hot for a day, you can torch the field. The course is plenty long, but you have to hit the ball in certain spots. Augusta is trying to get the winning score under -10.

However, they are making it longer and longer...

2000 Masters total yardage: 6,985
2023 Masters total yardage: 7,550

565 yards longer...

Not all of that can be made up with Driver.
watty
AG
I hate it. I hate all the recent changes they've made. Completely unnecessary stuff. I don't know why they think they need to fix what isn't broken.
oldschool87
AG
watty said:

I hate it. I hate all the recent changes they've made. Completely unnecessary stuff. I don't know why they think they need to fix what isn't broken.
Their fixing the wrong thing.

Fix the freaking golf ball. Or create a tour ball.

Nobody should be able to stand on a tbox and hit a 355 yard drive, because the caught it flush.

Baseball jacks with the ball every freaking year.
Duckhook
AG
oldschool87 said:

watty said:

Nobody should be able to stand on a tbox and hit a 355 yard drive, because the caught it flush.

60 yard field goals used to be a rarity. Not any more. Field goals over 50 yards are almost chip shots these days. Rarely see one come up short. Better athletes. Better techniques.

Technology has helped golf distance, but so have better trained guys hitting those balls with better technique.

I really don't care if the Tour has to increase course yardages. Doesn't affect my game one bit because I'll never play tees anywhere close to pro tees. If they want to create a Tour ball only, I would be okay with that. But why mess with a ball for the other 99% + of us.
Thisguy1
I think part of the fun and awe watching these guys has to do with comparing yourself to them. So and so hit a drive 350 and you have some perspective because you hit it 275. His 9 iron is my 6 iron and so on. If you only changed up their ball it takes the fun out of that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like the change. The hole was 510. Pretty much unheard of for a pro par 5 these days
oldschool87
AG
Duckhook said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

60 yard field goals used to be a rarity. Not any more. Field goals over 50 yards are almost chip shots these days. Rarely see one come up short. Better athletes. Better techniques.

Technology has helped golf distance, but so have better trained guys hitting those balls with better technique.

I really don't care if the Tour has to increase course yardages. Doesn't affect my game one bit because I'll never play tees anywhere close to pro tees. If they want to create a Tour ball only, I would be okay with that. But why mess with a ball for the other 99% + of us.
Tour ball, a tour ball, not a club muni ball.

65 yard FG record was kicked 50 years ago. Tony Franklin and Erxlabin(sp) used to line up on opposite 40's and kick FG's. in the 70's.

In 1975 the avg Driving distance was 256. Rory averaged, averaged!!!!! 349 last week. Its not even the same game.

JCA1
AG
Yesterday said:

JCA1 said:

Yesterday said:

It absolutely favors big hitters. You need great approach shots to win there. Both Immelmann and Spieth were top third of the tour in driving distance. Zach Johnson won on a cold/rainy week that helped negate long hitters who had to lay up. Nearly everyone else can drive the ball a long way. The stats are pretty clear on this.

Making 13 40 yards longer prevents the really high hitters from cutting the corner but they can still put the ball in play for an Eagle much easier than the short hitters. Even more so now.

I hear you. But I still don't think ANGC provides some unique advantage for long hitters. I think long hitters have the same advantage there they have pretty much everywhere else, the ability to hit an 8 iron when other guys are hitting 5 irons. In other words, I don't think long hitters winning there is indicative of some course advantage provided by ANGC. It's indicative of the advantage of being 30 yards in front of your competitor. Really doesn't matter much where you are, for the most part.
jj9000
AG
oldschool87 said:

watty said:

Rolling the ball back hurts the short hitters more than it will hurt the longer hitters. Hitting a Hybrid into a green for the short hitters vs. Hitting an 8 iron into a green for the longer hitters.

Why shouldn't someone be able to hit a Drive 355?

Go look at the Masters footage of when Jack was hitting the ball 300+. There was no fuss then. Why now?
JCA1
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Like the change. The hole was 510. Pretty much unheard of for a pro par 5 these days

I agree. This was probably a necessary change. Don't like what they did with 15 though. Really took the decision out of it and virtually everyone laid up. Curious to see if they move it up some this year.
Yesterday
AG
JCA1 said:

Yesterday said:

JCA1 said:

Yesterday said:

I hear you. But I still don't think ANGC provides some unique advantage for long hitters. I think long hitters have the same advantage there they have pretty much everywhere else, the ability to hit an 8 iron when other guys are hitting 5 irons. In other words, I don't think long hitters winning there is indicative of some course advantage provided by ANGC. It's indicative of the advantage of being 30 yards in front of your competitor. Really doesn't matter much where you are, for the most part.

Colonial, Hilton Head, Match play in Austin, WGC Mexico are some that long hitters can't overpower but I understand your point. The tour is going longer instead of making these players shape shots. They need more trees and dog legs.

Duckhook
AG
oldschool87 said:

Duckhook said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

Tour ball, a tour ball, not a club muni ball.

65 yard FG record was kicked 50 years ago. Tony Franklin and Erxlabin(sp) used to line up on opposite 40's and kick FG's. in the 70's.

In 1975 the avg Driving distance was 256. Rory averaged, averaged!!!!! 349 last week. Its not even the same game.

They were kicking field goals off of tees back then. Not the same as kicking it off the ground. That was changed in college in the late 80's. Lining up and doing it pregame off of a tee is nothing like kicking it off the ground over a defensive line. There's a reason all of the longest college kicks were pre-late 80's.

There were guys driving it 300 yards in the 60's.

Again, I don't care how long they make courses for the pros. No effect on me. And it's okay with me if they develop a Tour-only ball.
oldschool87
AG
jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

Rolling the ball back hurts the short hitters more than it will hurt the longer hitters. Hitting a Hybrid into a green for the short hitters vs. Hitting an 8 iron into a green for the longer hitters.

Go look at the Masters footage of when Jack was hitting the ball 300+. There was no fuss then. Why now?

In 1980 . Jack had his best driving season of his career and tour history.

"Jack Nicklaus was the 10th driver (at 269 yards per drive), and the 13th most accurate (at 71.6 percent). No other golfer has ever placed in the Top 15 of both categories in the same year.Jul 25, 2018"

269….

The reason you shouldn't be able to hit it 355 is the course was not designed for that. Most bunkers are at 250 to 300. Look I get some advancement.…. But it's not everyone's new found genetics…. Jack swang pretty dam hard, he's not averaging 349 for a tourney…

The difference between a 5 iron and a 7 iron is a huge difference…

Volkswagen on a stick for your driver…. If you played with persimmon woods, this would make a lot more sense.

Yes user name checks out!
jj9000
AG
oldschool87 said:

jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

This makes my point. Roll the ball back and your average Tour player today is hitting a Hybrid into a Par 4 green. The long hitters will be hitting a 8 iron into that same Par 4 green. Again, the rollback negatively impacts the bottom half of the Driver distance list much more than it impacts the top half.

The genie is out of the bottle. Especially at the Amateur level. Who wants to be limited to 225 off the tee when they've been playing at 275 for years? Huge detractor, when the message has been "Growing the Game" for the last few decades. People like to hit the long ball. The long ball sells. A good amount of the older guys would flat out quit if they lose any more distance.
JYDog90
AG
On this week's No Laying Up podcast, they were talking about an interview the Irish Independent did with Rory. In it he talks about how he was struggling so badly with the wedge. He had no distance control. He finally got fed up and went to Taylor Made and was complaining about how his spin was all over the place and he could not control anything in the wind.

Taylor Made told him that someone else in the field was playing a 2019 version of his ball and maybe he should try that. He missed the cut in San Antonio and spent the next couple of days hitting nothing but the 2019 ball. He went from something like #119 in strokes gained approach to #1 for the rest of the year.

There's a lot more to this than chicks dig the long ball. Rolling back the ball would introduce some uncertainty and left to right that doesn't exist anymore.

Rolling back the ball does mean rolling it back for the short hitters but it also puts a premium on accuracy when the potential to hit a driver 30 yds offline or a wedge 10 short or 10 long.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Yesterday
AG
Willy Wonka said:

On this week's No Laying Up podcast, they were talking about an interview the Irish Independent did with Rory. In it he talks about how he was struggling so badly with the wedge. He had no distance control. He finally got fed up and went to Taylor Made and was complaining about how his spin was all over the place and he could not control anything in the wind.

Taylor Made told him that someone else in the field was playing a 2019 version of his ball and maybe he should try that. He missed the cut in San Antonio and spent the next couple of days hitting nothing but the 2019 ball. He went from something like #119 in strokes gained approach to #1 for the rest of the year.

There's a lot more to this than chicks dig the long ball. Rolling back the ball would introduce some uncertainty and left to right that doesn't exist anymore.

Rolling back the ball does mean rolling it back for the short hitters but it also puts a premium on accuracy when the potential to hit a driver 30 yds offline or a wedge 10 short or 10 long.

Yes. They need to make the ball spin again! There's no downside to swinging out of your mind.
cevans_40
AG
jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

This makes my point. Roll the ball back and your average Tour player today is hitting a Hybrid into a Par 4 green. The long hitters will be hitting a 8 iron into that same Par 4 green. Again, the rollback negatively impacts the bottom half of the Driver distance list much more than it impacts the top half.

The genie is out of the bottle. Especially at the Amateur level. Who wants to be limited to 225 off the tee when they've been playing at 275 for years? Huge detractor, when the message has been "Growing the Game" for the last few decades. People like to hit the long ball. The long ball sells. A good amount of the older guys would flat out quit if they lose any more distance.
This is not necessarily true. If the tour ball were a low compression, high spin ball, it would greatly benefit those with slower clubhead speed.
Just an Ag
AG
cevans_40 said:

jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

jj9000 said:

oldschool87 said:

watty said:

This is not necessarily true. If the tour ball were a low compression, high spin ball, it would greatly benefit those with slower clubhead speed.
Maybe I am not following all the physics, but I am not sure the ball should reward those with a slower clubhead swing more as compared to a player with a faster clubhead swing. I would expect the goal is to reduce the distances proportionally with the swing speed. The goal should not be to squeeze the field closer together with their competiitors on scoring potential, but to squeeze the field, equally, back down to distances for which the course was designed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.