Whose Next? PGA tour Big Name to LIV??

3,231 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CapCityAg89
C ROC N
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After the latest LIV Portland tournament, who will be the next big time name to jump ship?
I got to admit the LIV was a hell of alot more exciting to watch than the John Deere. So far theses LIV courses look like major championship type courses. Small greens, high rough, tight fairways, 12.2 stimp meter greens. Watch out PGA Tour, LIV despite the Saudi influence is a force to be reckoned with. Chime in on your opinion!
aggiedent
AG
If they don't get better media coverage, there is no way they will survive.

But you're right, compared to the John Deere, the LIV Portland is far more interesting.
powerbelly
AG
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3272964
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Retif Goosen
Aggie369
AG
Haven't checked back but last I heard rumored to be leaning was

Cantlay
Finau
Burns
C ROC N
Aggie369 said:

Haven't checked back but last I heard rumored to be leaning was

Cantlay
Finau
Burns

Haven't heard Sam Burns in the mix for LIV?
But if players like him take off to LIV, the PGA will have to change their approach.
txaggie05
AG
There was an article on Golf Digest yesterday that said he was represented by the same agency that has pushed a lot of other guys to LIV. I think that's part of it
Aggie369
AG
I've got a buddy that knows a lot of players and that's just what he told me that he was hearing....but this was last week and I haven't talked to him about it since
Obi Wan Ginobili
Paul Casey announced yesterday during their coverage. Another good, not great, player with a small amount of name recognition.
CapCityAg89
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Paul Casey announced yesterday during their coverage. Another good, not great, player with a small amount of name recognition.

I think LIV is short for pre senior tour in whatever they speak in Saudi Arabia. Basically it's free money for broken down dudes to play exhibitions. OP is nuts. "Major conditions". Snicker.
Bunk Moreland
CapCityAg89 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

I think LIV is short for pre senior tour in whatever they speak in Saudi Arabia. Basically it's free money for broken down dudes to play exhibitions. OP is nuts. "Major conditions". Snicker.

While they definitely need to stop with the late career sunset golfers and focus more on mid/big names that are younger....Casey isn't too bad other than his recent injury. 3 PGAT wins, 15 Euro wins, placed 3rd at The Players in March before his injury and had Top 10's at the PGA and US Open in 2021.

If we're going to be taking shots at a guy that finished 3rd in "Golf's 5th Major" this season, then we're basically taking shots at all of golf.
AgLA06
AG
Literally the same people that would lose their minds if Tiger flipped. And it doesn't get any more broken / sunset than that.
Trucker 96
You have to admit that it is a little funny and ironic that while this old or injured narrative has already been building, Casey has to make his first appearance from the broadcast booth because his 44 year old back is too injured to play (as it has been since March).

Tiger's role if he took their money would basically be a Norman-type spokesman. I don't expect him to play anything but majors again, and we may have very well seen him play his last US Open unless it's at a venue like Pinehurst where the rough isn't brutal. All that said, he's done a lot to rehab his image and with a billion in the bank that was built in partnership with the PGAT, he was never going to touch this thing.
CapCityAg89
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

While they definitely need to stop with the late career sunset golfers and focus more on mid/big names that are younger....Casey isn't too bad other than his recent injury. 3 PGAT wins, 15 Euro wins, placed 3rd at The Players in March before his injury and had Top 10's at the PGA and US Open in 2021.

If we're going to be taking shots at a guy that finished 3rd in "Golf's 5th Major" this season, then we're basically taking shots at all of golf.

Until they get to a full season (16+) of 72 hole with cut tournaments, they are nothing but an exhibition tour. And their players won't qualify for WG rankings and id be surprised if the could attract anyone but sunset players who can get into majors via other exemptions (past champions). Gooch has already said he didn't think they'd really be banned.
JCA1
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Until they get to a full season (16+) of 72 hole with cut tournaments, they are nothing but an exhibition tour. And their players won't qualify for WG rankings and id be surprised if the could attract anyone but sunset players who can get into majors via other exemptions (past champions). Gooch has already said he didn't think they'd really be banned.
Gooch just compared last week's LIV event to the Ryder Cup, so his judgment is clearly suspect.
Bunk Moreland

jja79
AG
I was reading about that over the weekend and it seems they can't apply until they've complied with all the requirements - 72 holes, field cut after 36 and have played 15 or more events in a year and some others - to be considered for points. Since points begin to decay after 13 weeks it would seem their players will be dropping pretty fast in the rankings.
CapCityAg89
AG
jja79 said:

I was reading about that over the weekend and it seems they can't apply until they've complied with all the requirements - 72 holes, field cut after 36 and have played 15 or more events in a year and some others - to be considered for points. Since points begin to decay after 13 weeks it would seem their players will be dropping pretty fast in the rankings.

I read that too. My take away was that Taylor Gooch may end up being an exception and not a trend. Matt Wolff has already created - dude was kind of a head case to begin. I'll be surprised if any promising talent leaves the PGAT without a massive (9 figure) guarantee.
pdaddy
AG
Billy Horschel
PDaddy
C ROC N
pdaddy said:

Billy Horschel

Lol, If he accepts $150 million tomorrow!
Baby Billy
AG
Zero chance Sam Burns goes
Rubble
AG
This stupid tour isn't stupid. They put this first tournament in the US up against the John Deere. Of course there were more viewers. No one plays in that tournament except guys still trying to get into The Open. Maybe some others that are already in via other routes trying to get fedex points, but that's it.

If you're really looking at it from a viewer perspective from this week, you might as well look at it like watching north Texas vs Louisiana Lafayette on network TV or watch notre dame vs Stanford on YouTube
Trucker 96
But there were not more viewers
C ROC N
Golf Monthly reports that Jordan Spieth and Cameron Smith are rumored to possibly join LIV golf after the British Open or the FedEx Playoffs. This would be a huge blow!! Jordan does have a kid now?
Bunk Moreland
C ROC N said:

Golf Monthly reports that Jordan Spieth and Cameron Smith are rumored to possibly join LIV golf after the British Open or the FedEx Playoffs. This would be a huge blow!! Jordan does have a kid now?

There's a reason Rory changed his tune very quickly this week to the point of acknowledging the power brokers maybe should have handled things differently. And it wasn't Paul Casey's decision that did it.
Muy
AG
LIV needs to have cartoon characters running around the course to take it up a notch.
Trucker 96
Everybody eventually has a price. You give someone like Spieth $500 mill, then you get attention. That said, rumors have been all over the map
Aggie369
AG
Spieth was one of the guys originally that was committed before Phil's quotes were released from that interview he did

Spieth was going to be a captain of a team
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Next up, Rich Beem.
CapCityAg89
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.