The Cliffs at Possum Lake

2,473 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IBombedTheMoon
GQaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever played this course? I'm going to be there this weekend.
DaleDoback
It's a great course. I play it a few times a year. Lots of great views and it is typically in very good shape.
DadAG10
Looking forward to your report next week!

Haven't been there in 20+ years, but loved it then.

First time I played there and it had just opened, the pro shop was a temp building in a gravel parking lot.

Not a house to be seen.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Great course.

Used to own a lot there.

Miss that place.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
powerbelly
AG
I love the cliffs. Fun course, usually in good shape, and great elevation changes for a North Texas course.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Great course. Bring plenty of balls
leachfan
DannyDuberstein said:

Great course. Bring plenty of balls
Yes. Bring lots of balls.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Have a tournament out there next month with some buddies. Anyone have advice on the course?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Texas Ag 15 said:

Have a tournament out there next month with some buddies. Anyone have advice on the course?

Don't miss fairways
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
TwoMarksHand
AG
Play it once a year. Tons of fun, but hard as hell. I know some don't like it because it's easy to loose ball. Make sure you tee off a crappy into the lake towards he damn for fun.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Took a look at scorecard and not that long of course. Guessing if wind picks up it can be but sounds like it'll be in fairway over distance off tee.
TMfrisco
AG
The problem is many of the fairways slope towards ravines. You have to be pretty exact with your tee shots or they will run to the ravines.
I haven't played it in years, but it used to mentally wear me out because you had to really make sure your shots never ran towards the ravines.
I'm sure it has changed a lot since I last played it.
Watch out for snakes.
turfaggie24
AG
I was on the Golf Course Maintenance crew there back in 2006 while in high school nearby. Very scenic course with a stiff breeze typically and challenging layout. Not a lot of play typically and a very relaxed scene. Haven't been out there since the fire a few years back. Should be easy to enjoy!
"Anymore questions you wanna ask?"-John Wayne

TwoMarksHand
AG
Is that steakhouse in graford still a good spot? We used to go there after we played basketball against them. '05-09
powerbelly
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Is that steakhouse in graford still a good spot? We used to go there after we played basketball against them. '05-09

The steak shed looks to be permanently closed.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Played there last year before my game turned a corner and it absolutely kicked my ass. Bring lots of balls and lots of patience if you're not on your A game.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
Played there about a month ago... word to the wise, don't bring expensive balls if you're a high handicap, it's not worth fighting the rattlesnakes for a 4 dollar ball. Great course, you'll enjoy it.
GQaggie
AG
Sounds like my ProV1 donation to the course could be substantial! I'm playing tomorrow morning, so we'll see how it goes.
TwoMarksHand
AG
GQaggie said:

Sounds like my ProV1 donation to the course could be substantial! I'm playing tomorrow morning, so we'll see how it goes.

Let me know how it looks. Going in a month.
GQaggie
AG
Course was in good shape. So many blind tee shots making it difficult to know what line to take or whether you should hit something less than driver. Rough was insanely thick. You often couldn't see the ball unless you got lucky enough to walk right on top of it.
Hamburger Dan
You'd loved it back before they built houses
on it. I grew up in Wichita Falls, probably have played there 100 or more times. First time I went- the only building was a trailer they used for the proshop. At the end of the school year, I would take my golf kids that had qualified for Regionals, down there for a fun outing. Cool area.
JB93
GQaggie said:

Course was in good shape. So many blind tee shots making it difficult to know what line to take or whether you should hit something less than driver. Rough was insanely thick. You often couldn't see the ball unless you got lucky enough to walk right on top of it.

Is it just me, or is there nothing more frustrating than being not more than 5-10 yards off the fairway and cannot find your ball? If you're playing legit, that is stroke and distance penalty and back to the tee. I hate courses with rough so thick balls that should be found aren't. And I really hate it that pros have the benefit of a gallery and spotters to find their errant shots when us regular folks (who need the dang help) are SOL. Rant over!!!
DaleDoback
Playing it on Sunday morning. Will report back but it'd be abnormal not to be in excellent shape
tamu2009
AG
Not to derail, but my group plays a "gallery" rule for this reason. There is no reason you should penalized for that in my opinion. If the group agrees that a ball was X area, we drop at the best approximate of where the ball should be and go from there.
DaleDoback
Course was great as always. Some tee boxes were closed for overseeding. Greens ran true and quick. Gorgeous weekend out at PK!
IBombedTheMoon
AG
tamu2009 said:

Not to derail, but my group plays a "gallery" rule for this reason. There is no reason you should penalized for that in my opinion. If the group agrees that a ball was X area, we drop at the best approximate of where the ball should be and go from there.
That's a solid rule, I might have to adopt that for a few courses that are notorious for rough that will "eat your ball". Losing a ball in deep rough, a few yards off a fairway, is frustrating, but it's usually not worth slowing down play if everyone agrees that it settled in a relatively small area. Writing off a $4 ball to speed up play is penalty enough, especially if no one in the group is protesting. Then again, I've never played in a tournament, and I've never played for money, so my perspective might differ from purists.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.