So PXGs.....?

2,076 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hit up there new store in Plano and take a few swings with their Gen 4 irons. Holy Smokes they feel like butter and sound even better. I love my Cobras but these felt like a different level of club.

Has anyone made the change to them and seen drastic (-5 or greater) changes?
powerbelly
AG
The clubs don't matter if you have anything made in the last 10 years and the fir you
AggieDruggist89
AG
PXG irons are buttery smooth. I hit my bro in laws and fell in love with the looks and the feel. And PXG was having a $89 per club sale on Gen 2 irons. Told my buddies and 4 of them jumped on it and bought it. Sale ended.

I didn't buy it because I don't want to recalibrate my distance with new irons. I do not ever want to change my irons.

BTW... None of my buddies improved... They now just hit different distances and they're more ****ed up than ever.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Do what makes you happy, bud, just don't expect new clubs to make you better. The clubs are a tool, you're still the carpenter.
Leander - Ag
AG
They are very forgiving
aggiedent
AG
I play with a couple of guys who tried them, raved over them, and bought them.

And……………, they play exactly the same as they did before.
Rusty GCS
AG
BoDog said:

I hit up there new store in Plano and take a few swings with their Gen 4 irons. Holy Smokes they feel like butter and sound even better. I love my Cobras but these felt like a different level of club.

Has anyone made the change to them and seen drastic (-5 or greater) changes?
Not even the MISIG can get you 5 strokes
Rusty GCS
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

PXG irons are buttery smooth. I hit my bro in laws and fell in love with the looks and the feel. And PXG was having a $89 per club sale on Gen 2 irons. Told my buddies and 4 of them jumped on it and bought it. Sale ended.

I didn't buy it because I don't want to recalibrate my distance with new irons. I do not ever want to change my irons.

BTW... None of my buddies improved... They now just hit different distances and they're more ****ed up than ever.
I'm getting a full bag fitting this week. Really leaning towards keeping my irons as I don't have an issue with them. But I'm open minded if I see I hit something new a lot better.

I have a freaking r7 5wood that I hit great but surely there's better technology out there at this point. I hit my 3wood great too.

Now my driver can go **** itself. There's 0% chance I'm not buying a new one. I'm unloading for every penny they'll let me spend on that club lol and then the rest of my budget can go towards hybrids, wedges, etc.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I hit my 3wood great too.
I would keep a good 3 wood in the bag until it breaks. Get rid of it at your own peril.
aggiedent
AG
That is no lie. I got fitted for a new 3 wood and a 17 deg. hybrid, both Callaway.

Within 3-4 months I was back to my old Pings. The Callaways flew further, but they both landed like a super ball on concrete. My old Ping hybrid (and to a lesser extent the 3 wood) were scoring weapons on par 5's for me because they landed like a hacky sack.

With these new clubs I couldn't hold a green to save my life. Just glad I didn't get rid of my old Pings.
Rusty GCS
AG
aggiedent said:

That is no lie. I got fitted for a new 3 wood and a 17 deg. hybrid, both Callaway.

Within 3-4 months I was back to my old Pings. The Callaways flew further, but they both landed like a super ball on concrete. My old Ping hybrid (and to a lesser extent the 3 wood) were scoring weapons on par 5's for me because they landed like a hacky sack.

With these new clubs I couldn't hold a green to save my life. Just glad I didn't get rid of my old Pings.

In hindsight was there anything you could've seen in the fittings to realize that?
cadetjay02
AG
Nothing to add yet, I picked up my PXG irons from the Plano shop on Monday. Will get out with them Friday.
aggiedent
AG
Good question. Yes and no.

Historically, I have chose to be fitted for irons and my driver, but nothing else.

The Ping's were bought off the rack so I didn't have any numbers to compare the Callaways to. I look at spin rate on my irons because that is an important and often overlooked (fitters will tell you most guys fixate on distance) metric for amateurs. I didn't pay as much attention to that in my fitting for the 3 wood and hybrid.

Perhaps if I had taken my Pings in and got some base metrics on them first, then told the fitter I wanted a ball flight and spin rate similar to these, it might have led me to buying something I liked.

Edit: To address your question, I imagine the Callaways would show a more penetrating ball flight and lower spin rate than the old Pings, because that is what I was seeing on the course. But because I didn't know the Ping metrics, I didn't have a clue when I was being fitted for the new clubs.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I would do this.

If getting fitted and hitting balls on a simulator, make sure you also bring your old clubs for comparison. Have them set the altitude to sea level and ground condition soft.

You want to see where the ball lands and not where it rolls out to.

I can set the simulator to Denver dry firm condition and increase my distance by 20%. More than MISIG.
Rusty GCS
AG
Ended up getting 3 new clubs Ping G425 Max with a va composite nemesys shaft & 2 ping G425 hybrids (19 & 22 degree)

Kept the 3wood, irons, and putter I've all been hitting well. New grip on putter.

I also had an issue with my 58 & 54 degree hitting on exactly the same distances. Turns out my 58 degree true angle was only 55 degrees. They bent it to a true 58 and now I have gaps in distance for my 54 & 58
maroonthrunthru
Indian not Arrow, Paleface !!!
cb1919
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Do what makes you happy, bud, just don't expect new clubs to make you better. The clubs are a tool, you're still the carpenter.

This is nonsense. I always tell me wife it's the arrow not the Indian, and then I go buy new clubs.
Rusty GCS
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

After getting fitted I was shocked at how much difference a shaft on a driver made. My swing speed, swing plane/path were all fine. But I was getting very minimal spin and with a slightly shut club face I was getting only 50' height at apex and 20-30 yards of hook.

Changed a shaft and the spin rate went up creating 95' apex height and only 5-10 yards of draw.

As I get fatigued the face stops shutting and I will start fading. Those were less severe also. Generally with the new driver compared to what's in my bag I was exponentially better. Enough so that $900 for a driver felt like a bargain…. or you'll see me in about a month on the F GOLF thread.
AggieDruggist89
AG
cb1919 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

This is nonsense. I always tell me wife it's the arrow not the Indian, and then I go buy new clubs.

And you foolishly think she believes you while all you've done is gave her leverage
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.