My son's improbable college golf journey

9,652 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jja79
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gman-79 said:

1. JJA, you have done a good job with your son(yes, I know his name but I am not sharing it so you guys don't go to the outdoors board to get them to reveal his school and identity), he is a pleasure to be around.
2. JJA's son, if you're reading this, this group is family, they only want to share in your dad's experience and excitement.
3. JJA, you make me proud to be a member of the class of 1979, rhey taught us how to be proficient and both written and verbal communication, and your composition skills on here exhibit that.
4. Has anyone heard from ReMarch, I expected him to show up here, hope all is well.

Remarch will be back in about a month from Africa I believe
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Yesterday
AG
Good stuff! I remember being the number one golfer in High School as a Freshman and was paired with the rival towns number one. He was a senior. Think I shot a 92 that day. Just completely overwhelmed. To the other guys credit he told me I'd get better in these matches the more I played them. I'm sure your son will too.
jja79
AG
Kid finished T-3 after the qualifying rounds so I guess I'm off to Arizona this weekend. Made the starting lineup with 3 juniors and 1 senior. His goal when he left home was to make it for 2 tournaments as a freshman. I assume that goal will be adjusted.
gman-79
AledoAg86
Sea Speed
AG
Sounds like he has a better chance of being on the top of the Sunday leaderboard at the US Open than Johnny.
1/2 Man 1/2 Amazing
AG
Great thread!!! Thx for sharing!!!
cgh1999
AG
Hard to imagine that little red head kid I met so long ago is in college! You've gotten old JJA!

I know you're a proud dad.
jja79
AG
Back in Arizona to watch the college boys.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Great pics, what brand of shoes are those?
Sea Speed
AG
How do equipment changes work as a scholarship athlete. Does he have to provide his own clubs or will they get him custom fitted for whatever he wants? Are they allowed to use whatever ball they want? If they fit him out, what if he wants to make say a driver or putter change, is that all kn him?
WhoopN06
Get him some AirPods!
jja79
AG
Lost 5 pairs.
WhoopN06
I can relate
Matsui
AG
Puma logo on the back
JR Ewingford
Awesome story. Keep the updates coming!
PJYoung
AG
Love this thread.

Congrats JJ
jja79
AG
We're back. The last 3 weeks have not been good. At the 2nd tournament he was grouped with two 5th year seniors and a 6th year super senior. It overwhelmed him and he played very poorly. I had to talk him off the ledge a time or two after I got back home. There's a lighted range with Top Tracer near his apartment so he's been going there at night.

Anyway round 1 today and he's got his nerve and some confidence back. He was +3 after 6 holes so not optimum. I was interested to see how he would respond. Birdied 9 to turn at +2. Struggled a bit after the turn and then birdied 3 of the last 5 holes to finish +2 for 74. 2 guys are in under par, another even par, no one is +1 so he's T-4 after today. All I hoped to this tournament was to make a few shots and get back some confidence. He missed two 3 foot birdie putts and 3 putted twice so he didn't score as well as he could have but he's in it.

From the tees you can barely see the fairway so anyone who hits it offline at all is hitting 3. Absolutely no forgiveness.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

didn't score as well as he could have but he's in it.

there's the positive
jja79
AG
Sea Speed said:

How do equipment changes work as a scholarship athlete. Does he have to provide his own clubs or will they get him custom fitted for whatever he wants? Are they allowed to use whatever ball they want? If they fit him out, what if he wants to make say a driver or putter change, is that all kn him?
Keep in mind this is the small college level so they aren't as swagged out as D-1 kids. Their school is Nike but the coach is on Cobra staff so their clothes and shoes are Puma. They provide the clothes, shoes, really nice bags with the school, kid's name and the flag of his country. They have 3 Swedes on the team and I've seen quite a few Swedes, Norwegians, Scots and Mexican kids on the teams at these tournaments. They also provide TP-5 and TP-5X balls.

They will pay for fitting if you want to get fitted with any brand of club and they have an arrangement to get any clubs at cost.

Having watched this for a bit now I would say most of the teams have 1, 2 or 3 players that could play D-1 and some have 5. There is another team in Arizona that has all international players that all look about 27 years old and are freaking studs. One of the California teams I saw 3 weeks ago is 5 deep. There were 4 Arizona schools and 10 California schools at the last tournament and there really are some very fine players. There was a freshman in our group at the first tournament that hit 39 of 42 fairways and made one bogey in 3 rounds. He hit it exactly where you wanted to nearly every time.
jja79
AG
Yesterday was about as bizarre as anything I've seen. The moron coach of the host team decided it would be a good idea to send the girls out first in foursomes walking in the morning. My son's group got to 14 about the time it was really iffy and by the time they finished it was dark. I mean dark. The last 3 or 4 holes there were coaches and players that had finished holding cell phones and flashlights up for the last 3 groups to finish. One kid made an 11 on a par 4 because they couldn't find his first 3 tee shots which doesn't mean they were lost, they just couldn't see it and locate it. Dropped 2 spots from the first day and finished 6th in a pretty ho-hum field. None of the California schools were there and what I think are the two best in Az were not either. We'll take it and hopefully there's a confidence boost going forward.

This is simultaneously more fun than I could have imagined but maybe the most nerve racking thing I've ever been part of. I'm going to turn back around and go back to Arizona the end of next week and stay 2 or 3 weeks this time while they finish up the fall.

jja79
AG
After the round. I was 18 in 1975. It wasn't like this.
BEaggie08
AG
Sea Speed said:

Ok i just assumed it was a community College, hence the 2 years. You mentioned they play a bunch of community Colleges
I believe you mistook Country Club for Community College.
jonj101
jja79 said:

Sea Speed said:

Keep in mind this is the small college level so they aren't as swagged out as D-1 kids. Their school is Nike but the coach is on Cobra staff so their clothes and shoes are Puma. They provide the clothes, shoes, really nice bags with the school, kid's name and the flag of his country. They have 3 Swedes on the team and I've seen quite a few Swedes, Norwegians, Scots and Mexican kids on the teams at these tournaments. They also provide TP-5 and TP-5X balls.

They will pay for fitting if you want to get fitted with any brand of club and they have an arrangement to get any clubs at cost.

Having watched this for a bit now I would say most of the teams have 1, 2 or 3 players that could play D-1 and some have 5. There is another team in Arizona that has all international players that all look about 27 years old and are freaking studs. One of the California teams I saw 3 weeks ago is 5 deep. There were 4 Arizona schools and 10 California schools at the last tournament and there really are some very fine players. There was a freshman in our group at the first tournament that hit 39 of 42 fairways and made one bogey in 3 rounds. He hit it exactly where you wanted to nearly every time.

As always, thanks for the updates.

Since the school is Nike, what does Nike actually provide for them? It seems like most of what they need is taken care of by the other brands.
_lefraud_
AG
It doesn't sound like anything, at least golf related. If they have workout gear, it's probably Nike. I think he was just stating that the school's other teams are Nike, but they are outfitted by Cobra/Puma.

A few years ago, Baylor had as many as three different sponsors. Football was Nike, basketball was Adidas and Softball was UA. Obviously, this isn't common but it does happen.
jagvocate
AG
I'm an older father of an 8 and 7 year old (18 months apart) with limited golfing skills. Enjoying this thread, sending best wishes y'all's way!

jja79
AG
Have fun with them.

I'm getting my oil changed and tires rotated the next couple of days and heading back on Thursday for 2 or 3 weeks. The coach invited him to be his partner in a charity glow ball scramble Saturday night. He's living the dream.
jja79
AG
Going to be a great day in Arizona. I've been here 11 days and this is the time it starts getting really good for Valley golf.
EMY92
AG
_lefraud_ said:

It doesn't sound like anything, at least golf related. If they have workout gear, it's probably Nike. I think he was just stating that the school's other teams are Nike, but they are outfitted by Cobra/Puma.

A few years ago, Baylor had as many as three different sponsors. Football was Nike, basketball was Adidas and Softball was UA. Obviously, this isn't common but it does happen.
That's not uncommon with smaller schools to have each sport with a sponsor. The sponsorship deals are small time deals, often just discounts.

Other sports have no deals and just buy what they can.
jja79
AG
Signing off. This kid and his dad are living the dream.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Great pics keep em coming. That grass on and around the green is perfect. Wow.
AledoAg86
AG
Wow - great pics and thanks for the updates!
David_Puddy
AG
Good stuff Jed, awesome story
EKUAg
AG
Enjoy this. My daughter is a junior playing at the NAIA level. Been to most of her matches. It has been a great experience.

I have been tabbed a couple of times to coach when the school has been in a tournament with both men's and women's teams. That has been fun.
Matsui
AG
What course is this?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.