***** US OPEN *****

27,358 Views | 523 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgfromHOU
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

I don't like a regular tour stop being a major venue. Feel like it loses some of its cache and exclusivity.

How about Pebble?
979ag
AG
Torrey is incredibly boring imo. It's also a regular stop on the tour, so I don't see the pageantry of having it as a major.

Watching the first two rounds were not very fun and it didn't feel like a major much at all. Just my opinion, but I also feel like much shared the same coming into the tourny
aginlakeway
AG
These 2 finishes at Torrey will get the course another major if the course wants it.
Trucker 96
aginlakeway said:

These 2 finishes at Torrey will get the course another major if the course wants it.

Yeah, there is zero question that it will be back.

Winged Foot in the fall was much more boring than this. Same winning score. More boring tournament.
JP_Losman
AG
Can't wait for Royal St George's
aggiebrother33
The Milkman said:

I don't like a regular tour stop being a major venue. Feel like it loses some of its cache and exclusivity.

Riviera is gonna change your mind, that place is top notch.
The Milkman
AG
aggiebrother33 said:

The Milkman said:

Was Riv given a major? It's one of the top 2 or 3 courses we see any year on tour so yeah it would always be good.
aggiebrother33
The Milkman said:

aggiebrother33 said:

The Milkman said:

Was Riv given a major? It's one of the top 2 or 3 courses we see any year on tour so yeah it would always be good.

I thought I heard they are getting the US Open? I may be wrong...
Trucker 96
LA Country Club will host in a couple of years, but not Riviera
aggiebrother33
Fore Left! said:

LA Country Club will host in a couple of years, but not Riveria

You are right, sorry disregard and flame away!
AgLA06
AG
aggiebrother33 said:

The Milkman said:

I find this interesting. Riviera is one of the courses each year I find extremely bland and boring.
aggiebrother33
AgLA06 said:

aggiebrother33 said:

The Milkman said:

I find this interesting. Riviera is one of the courses each year I find extremely bland and boring.

Maybe it was wishful thinking...Riviera, Torrey Pines, and Pinehurst I think are some of the top courses in the world. Love courses that are straight forward, don't need water just hit it in the right spots and go make putts. True golf, no gimmicks
rak1693
AG
I was there for the final two rounds and I can assure you it was anything but boring. When Bryson was on #11, there were 6 people tied at -5 and Bryson was -6. Every guy fell of the board except for Rahm and Louis. And Harris English was left finishing at sole third because of his -3. Many pros will want another crack at #11.
Trucker 96
Curious when Bethpage will get another. PGA was 2 years ago, but no US Open since 2009 (to go with 2002). It will host the 2025 Ryder Cup, and I'd guess it will get another open around 2030. The gallery for that Ryder cup will be craaaaaaaazy
aginlakeway
AG
I don't recall anyone complaining about Pebble getting an Open and a regular tour stop.
_lefraud_
AG
US Open Torrey is not just some regular tour stop. I don't think Bryson shoots 44 on the back 9 if this was the Farmers Open. Several major champions had a chance today, and they all faltered...again, that doesn't happen on the PGAT stop.

Torrey is 2 for 2 on hosting the US Open, one being one of the most historic championships of all time, so yea, Torrey will continue (and should) to get more.

I'd like to see Torrey/Bethpage "paired" up together, where one is getting a spot every 5-6 years or so:

2021 - Torrey
2028 - Bethpage
2032 - Torrey
2037 - Bethpage
2042 - Torrey
Seven Costanza
AG
Future US Open sites:

2022: The Country Club, Brookline, MA.
2023: LA Country Club
2024: Pinehurst #2
2025: Oakmont
2026: Shinnecock
2027: Pebble Beach

Future PGA Championship sites:

104th PGA Championship
Southern Hills Country Club
Tulsa, Oklahoma
May 2022
105th PGA Championship
Oak Hill Country Club
East Course
Pittsford, New York
May 2023
106th PGA Championship
Valhalla Golf Club
Louisville, Kentucky
May 2024
107th PGA Championship
Quail Hollow Club
Charlotte, NC
May 2025
108th PGA Championship
Aronimink Golf Club
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
May 2026
109th PGA Championship
PGA Frisco
Frisco, Texas
May 2027
110th PGA Championship
The Olympic Club
Lake Course
San Francisco, California
May 2028
111th PGA Championship
Baltusrol Golf Club
Lower Course
Springfield, New Jersey
May 2029
112th PGA Championship
TBD
May 2030
113th PGA Championship
Congressional Country Club
Blue Course
Bethesda, Maryland
May 2031
116th PGA Championship
PGA Frisco
Frisco, Texas
May 2034
aginlakeway
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Future US Open sites:

2022: The Country Club, Brookline, MA.
2023: LA Country Club
2024: Pinehurst #2
2025: Oakmont
2026: Shinnecock
2027: Pebble Beach

Future PGA Championship sites:

104th PGA Championship
Southern Hills Country Club
Tulsa, Oklahoma
May 2022
105th PGA Championship
Oak Hill Country Club
East Course
Pittsford, New York
May 2023
106th PGA Championship
Valhalla Golf Club
Louisville, Kentucky
May 2024
107th PGA Championship
Quail Hollow Club
Charlotte, NC
May 2025
108th PGA Championship
Aronimink Golf Club
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
May 2026
109th PGA Championship
PGA Frisco
Frisco, Texas
May 2027
110th PGA Championship
The Olympic Club
Lake Course
San Francisco, California
May 2028
111th PGA Championship
Baltusrol Golf Club
Lower Course
Springfield, New Jersey
May 2029
112th PGA Championship
TBD
May 2030
113th PGA Championship
Congressional Country Club
Blue Course
Bethesda, Maryland
May 2031
116th PGA Championship
PGA Frisco
Frisco, Texas
May 2034

Pinehurst US Opens also in:

Trucker 96
What I'd like to see less of is links style stops (I exclude Pebble because there is nothing like it). They had a streak of them for a while, and now that they cut down all the trees at Oakmont, it's basically one too. Every so often is okay, but it was almost every year for a chunk of the 2010s. Leave most major links play to the Open.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Torrey hate went way too far this week. Started out as the "hip" thing to say, then near everyone was bagging on it. In the end, it has given us 2 of the best US opens of this century.

I think some popular golf writer or commentary accounts were saying that at the beginning of the day the stacked and tight leaderboard was a sign that the course was not set up well for the US open? It was the most non sequiter argument, made no sense. "The only people at the top are the typical best golfers, not a good US Open" huh?
aggiebrother33
Fore Left! said:

What I'd like to see less of is links style stops (I exclude Pebble because there is nothing like it). They had a streak of them for a while, and now that they cut down all the trees at Oakmont, it's basically one too. Every so often is okay, but it was almost every year for a chunk of the 2010s. Leave most major links play to the Open.

Cannot agree more here. I'm tired of the USGA trying to be the R&A. Keep it to the traditional courses, that don't look the same on every hole nor turn brown by Friday.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I love Pinehurst, glad we will see a lot more of it.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
PGA Frisco ?

Jerry got a cut in that ?
birdman
I like Pinehurst #2. Great course that usually has a exciting tournament. But once every six years is too often for my taste. Once per decade is about right for me. There are plenty of great courses to choose from. I like more variety.

I didn't recognize a name or two on that list.
Seven Costanza
AG
And if anyone is wondering why the 2030 slot is open, that was the original spot for Southern Hills. It was moved up to next year when the PGA decided that Trump's course couldn't host the 2022 PGA.
Mr.Bond
AG
Seven Costanza said:

And if anyone is wondering why the 2030 slot is open, that was the original spot for Southern Hills. It was moved up to next year when the PGA decided that Trump's course couldn't host the 2022 PGA.

Still a stupid ****in decision too.....rant over
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

_lefraud_
AG
Brookline? It hosted the '99 Ryder Cup and several US Opens/Amateurs...most notably the 1913 Open win by Francis Ouimet (The Greatest Game Ever Played).

Im all for this type of venue every 15-20 years but I certainly wouldn't want it any more frequent.
birdman
_lefraud_ said:

Brookline? It hosted the '99 Ryder Cup and several US Opens/Amateurs...most notably the 1913 Open win by Francis Ouimet (The Greatest Game Ever Played).

Im all for this type of venue every 15-20 years but I certainly wouldn't want it any more frequent.
Aronimink was the course I didn't recognize. I just looked it up. They hosted the BMW Championship a few years ago.
EKUAg
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

PGA Frisco ?

I believe the PGA is moving the HQ there.
Trucker 96
AgOutsideAustin said:

PGA Frisco ?

As mentioned, the PGA of America HQ is moving there. The course construction is looking good. Found a pretty solid piece of property for flat N TX.
Trucker 96
Agree. Great course but it's also unique since the renovation, and by unique, I mean in a way that I don't think it should get one more often than every 12 years or so. I'd double that rotation time.
aginlakeway
AG
Fore Left! said:

Agree. Great course but it's also unique since the renovation, and by unique, I mean in a way that I don't think it should get one more often than every 12 years or so. I'd double that rotation time.

A little more on the USGA-Pinehurst relationship ...
"In an effort to expand its impact in golf and extend its mission to champion and advance the game, the USGA will establish "Golf House Pinehurst" in North Carolina, to include a new equipment-testing facility, innovation hub, museum/visitor center and offices by 2023, and host five U.S. Open Championships in the golf-rich state by 2047."

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/09/usga-second-home-pinehurst-north-carolina.html
AgfromHOU
AG
Fore Left! said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

PGA Frisco ?

As mentioned, the PGA of America HQ is moving there. The course construction is looking good. Found a pretty solid piece of property for flat N TX.

It is also supposed to host the 109th PGA Championship in 2027
Trucker 96
Yeah, if they do a good job with the course, which I expect, it should be a regular PGA championship rotation course. The May vs August PGA date changed the game for being able to host majors here
AgfromHOU
AG
It'll be fun having the Byron Nelson and PGA back to back that year, if Craig Ranch gets to keep it after the current deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.