Fort Worth Country Clubs

35,623 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by grego
560ti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KSigAg12 said:

I literally googled membership fees fort worth CCs and this thread came up. I live in Arlington Heights area, looking to move across camp bowie the first sign of the housing craziness subsiding, and the future mrs and I have been eying rivercrest. Apparently there's a junior membership option if you're younger than 35 that's way more reasonable.
It's a decent club but there's a reason why they sell discounted membership tiers even during post covid times when demand is high (it's closer to a city course than a country club to be honest).

Last 2 times I went out there they didn't even bother to overseed the fairways or tee boxes (which i'm not a fan of for a country club, your basically quitting on the course 5 months out of the year) and the practice area is small.

It's like the Tarrant County version of Canyon Creek, viewed more-so as a social club and most of the talking up you'll hear is club house or pool related.

AF DOC
AG
My family and I joined Ridglea about a year ago and we love it. I'm a high handicap/novice golfer but the two courses and the pros on staff have been great.

Pool area and family events are amazing.

Neighbor tried to join social back in January…as of April 1 he's still waitlisted with over a dozen people ahead of him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
_lefraud_
AG
Any insight, updates on fees/dues/waitlist to the following, I'm 35 with younger kids but mostly looking for golf, anything else would be a bonus.

Ridglea
Rivercrest
Mira Vista
TMfrisco
AG
560ti said:

KSigAg12 said:

I literally googled membership fees fort worth CCs and this thread came up. I live in Arlington Heights area, looking to move across camp bowie the first sign of the housing craziness subsiding, and the future mrs and I have been eying rivercrest. Apparently there's a junior membership option if you're younger than 35 that's way more reasonable.
It's a decent club but there's a reason why they sell discounted membership tiers even during post covid times when demand is high (it's closer to a city course than a country club to be honest).

Last 2 times I went out there they didn't even bother to overseed the fairways or tee boxes (which i'm not a fan of for a country club, your basically quitting on the course 5 months out of the year) and the practice area is small.

It's like the Tarrant County version of Canyon Creek, viewed more-so as a social club and most of the talking up you'll hear is club house or pool related.

Those are some crazy comments. They don't sell discounted memberships and there are no Social Memberships. You are either a member or you are not.

They do less than 20,000 rounds a year and you can always play. It is, perhaps, the hardest 6400 yards you will find and the greens are the most spectacular bentgrass you will find in Texas.

There are very few CCs in Fort Worth or Dallas that overseed fairways. Less and less overseed tees - maybe Par 3s, but very few overseed all their tees and it is usually the ones that do a high number of rounds.

One place you are correct - the practice area is very limited.

It is a big social club, but the golf is tremendous.
560ti
TMfrisco said:

560ti said:

KSigAg12 said:

Those are some crazy comments. They don't sell discounted memberships and there are no Social Memberships. You are either a member or you are not.

They do less than 20,000 rounds a year and you can always play. It is, perhaps, the hardest 6400 yards you will find and the greens are the most spectacular bentgrass you will find in Texas.

There are very few CCs in Fort Worth or Dallas that overseed fairways. Less and less overseed tees - maybe Par 3s, but very few overseed all their tees and it is usually the ones that do a high number of rounds.

Literally nothing I wrote was a crazy comment

- The guy I quoted literally said they sell a lower priced membership if you're under the age of 35. Not to sound snarky but not paying full price is discounted...... (clubcorp whose considered the walmart of country clubs doesn't even offer those type of memberships anymore).

- 90% of the country clubs I've been to in the last 10 years overseed the fairways. Even Prestonwood which is considered a lower tier "bang for your buck value club" overseed fairways and tee boxes when I was there in January.

- Funny enough the only club i've been too in the last 5 years that didn't overseed the fairways (canyon creek) still overseed every single tee box. Not overseeding both let alone either is far from the norm (I understand you like Rivercrest but no your views on winter conditions are not the norm for this area)

The last figures I found for senior initiation at Rivercrest is $15k and for full stockholder it's $60k. I can't phantom a club asking that much and not even overseeding, that's why I said it's basically the Tarrant country version of Canyon Creek
_lefraud_
AG
I'd imagine "junior memberships" exist to attract younger families. Kind of crazy to call it a discount or tier. Even Colonial has junior memberships.
560ti
_lefraud_ said:

I'd imagine "junior memberships" exist to attract younger families. Kind of crazy to call it a discount or tier. Even Colonial has junior memberships.
That's kind of my point. Although the premise of it is good most of these country clubs got rid of those type post covid because there at full capacity at full price. Any of the equity clubs don't need it because your either pass the point of junior age when you get on the wait list or you will by the time you get called

Colonial I wouldn't see the point since they have a wait list (by the time you can actually legitimately join as a full resident your most likely nowhere close to junior age).
TMfrisco
AG
560ti said:

TMfrisco said:

560ti said:

KSigAg12 said:

Literally nothing I wrote was a crazy comment

- The guy I quoted literally said they sell a lower priced membership if you're under the age of 35. Not to sound snarky but not paying full price is discounted...... (clubcorp whose considered the walmart of country clubs doesn't even offer those type of memberships anymore).

- 90% of the country clubs I've been to in the last 10 years overseed the fairways. Even Prestonwood which is considered a lower tier "bang for your buck value club" overseed fairways and tee boxes when I was there in January.

- Funny enough the only club i've been too in the last 5 years that didn't overseed the fairways (canyon creek) still overseed every single tee box. Not overseeding both let alone either is far from the norm (I understand you like Rivercrest but no your views on winter conditions are not the norm for this area)

The last figures I found for senior initiation at Rivercrest is $15k and for full stockholder it's $60k. I can't phantom a club asking that much and not even overseeding, that's why I said it's basically the Tarrant country version of Canyon Creek
I do not consider Junior Memberships discounted - matter of opinion.

You're right, I like River Crest a lot - I have no affiliation with it other than I have played there many times and have played every other CC in DFW with the exception of the "new" Brook Hollow, Maridoe and Ridglea South. It might not be a course I would want to play everyday as a younger member, but to hate on the conditions of that property and to compare it to Canyon Creek is crazy.

Club Corp/Invited started overseeding fairways a few of years ago at some of their properties. I can't think of one other CC in Dallas or Fort Worth that does. Royal Oaks has in some years to counteract flooding. Maybe TPC Las Colinas(half Resort) still does, but Cottonwood Valley doesn't.

As I said, clubs that do a high number of rounds - a la Canyon Creek - will overseed tees. A lot of CC will only overseed par 3s and some, not at all.

Interestingly, the more you pay for initiation, the less likely you are to see any kind of overseeding. Lots of high initiation clubs have zoysia tees which do not take overseeding well at all - Rivercrest is an example. Zoysia fairways - Craig Ranch and now Las Colinas CC along with Vaquero and Dallas National won't overseed fairways. Colonial, with a tournament in May, probably had the best case for overseeding fairways and I can't remember a year they ever have dating back to 1982.

I would be interested for you to keep a list of CCs in DFW you play this year that overseed fairways and share it with us.

My guess, due to water costs(and supply) and seed costs - ryegrass seed has nearly tripled over the last 5 years - you will see less and less courses and clubs overseed.
Stymied
AG
100% agree. No CC in Dallas overseeds any more except those that have erosion issues (cough.. Royal Oaks…). Many are applying a green iron supplement though that colors the dormant fairway grass. Perhaps that is what many are mistaking for overseed?
grego
AG
I think that's probably what he's considering overseeing. The green paint / fertilizer combo that places put down in the winter to define the fairways. But not actual overseed.

Colonial killed the Bermuda on the green surrounds and planted rye in advance of the remodel and it is taking forever to come in.

The only course I can think of in the area that does a true overseed is the Texas Rangers Golf Club. Really good course btw.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.