Most famous golf hole in Texas?

7,310 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yesterday
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm drawing a blank. I like #18 at the Valero open
Cavender Neutze
AG
I'm gonna say the "Tin Cup" hole at Deerwood in Houston.
AustinCountyAg
#18 at the tournament course at GCOH for a PGA tour stand point.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Debbie who did Dallas?
turfaggie24
AG
18 at Colonial
'03ag
#5 at Meadowbrook Fort Worth.
cevans_40
AG
15 at Whispering Pines. I personally like 5 the best but 15 is in all the magazines.
Poot
Pick a #, 1-18 at Heron Lakes. 18 signature holes, ranging from beautiful views of Beltway 8, office buildings, a Sikh temple, high voltage power lines, a swamp, an Amazon distribution center, back porches 5' right of the fairway with indoor ceiling fans installed outdoors, and an 8 iron- 3 wood par 5. Nice place.

Oh, real answer... already said above 4 Deerwood. Tin Cup hole.
Just an Ag
AG
For a non-tournament course, Walden Lake Conroe, the 11th & 12th (par 5 and par 3 combo) on a peninsula on Lake Conroe are well known. https://www.waldengolf.com/walden/course

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Postage stamp greens surrounded by sand...I've never given that course a proper round. Only played it a handful of times, but still.
AustinCountyAg
I played Walden for the first time this past weekend, and damn that par 5 is a beast. Their are no easy ways to play it "safe" IMO. Needless to say I am pretty sure I tripled or doubled it.

However, the par 3 following isn't too bad if you don't let the water get in your head. I also enjoyed the par 4 following where you hit over the canal. That is pretty hole that is also somewhat scoreable if you hit a decent drive on the right side of the fairway.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I used to play a tournament every summer at Mill Creek in Salado. One of the holes on the front had a green shaped like a heart. Maybe hole 4? Thought that was unique.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
First time I played that course, someone had anchored their boat between the tee and green on that par 3. Handful of people out floating on rafts...

We just shook our heads at their bravery or ignorance, unsure of which. No one came close to them but, with some of the folks in the group, that was not guaranteed.
HouAggie
AG
Most famous has to be one of the courses that hosts a Tour event. Colonial has hosted for a while, but the holes aren't that distinguishable on TV, so nothing really stands out.

I'd probably agree with whoever said 18 at Golf Club of Houston, b/c of the carnage that often occurred there. This will change as they no longer host.
Pignorant
AG
Gotta be #18 at Golf Club of Houston
dahouse
AG
New #10 at Bryan Muni. Gotta play it over Villa Maria to account for the slice coming back. Straighten it out and it takes out a bus or motorscooter
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Unemployed
AG
#6 at Tour 18 Houston.
Harry Stone
AG
Just an Ag said:

For a non-tournament course, Walden Lake Conroe, the 11th & 12th (par 5 and par 3 combo) on a peninsula on Lake Conroe are well known. https://www.waldengolf.com/walden/course

The Lost
hole 13 at colonial wins most drunks, probably?
MAROON
AG
The 7th at The Hills of Lakeway is probably one of the most photographed holes

Champions #4 - par 3 where Ben Hogan made a 9 in his last tournament and hurt his knee looking for his ball
playeroftheyear69
AG
Hole #10 @ Boot Ranch
KC_Ag14
AG
Place has really gone downhill (no pun intended)... but the par 3-15th at ColoVista in Bastrop always sticks in my mind. Pretty cool watching your tee ball drop 100'
grego
AG
5 at colonial. Was the hardest par 4 on tour for a long time.
Oyster DuPree
AG
MAROON said:

The 7th at The Hills of Lakeway is probably one of the most photographed holes

Champions #4 - par 3 where Ben Hogan made a 9 in his last tournament and hurt his knee looking for his ball

If making a sextuple bogey on a par 3 while inexplicably hurting yourself makes a hole famous, I've played some of the most iconic holes in golf
flogmat
AG
Anyone remember old Waterwood National? I bet par 3 14th was on that list at one time.
agsalaska
AG
I cant thing of one hole like I can in Florida, Arizkna, California, Hawaii, Georgia, South Carolina,even New Jersey.

I guess the 5th at Colonial. But you would have to be a real golf fan to know that. We really dont have one.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
the last of the bohemians
It's almost like you need to host majors to have a famous golf hole.
So which Texas course will be first to host a PGA?
MAROON
AG
last major in Texas was 1969 - I guess Champions has probably hosted more majors if you lump in pro and amateur.

US Open
Champions Golf Club, Cypress Creek Course
Orville Moody

PGA Championship
Pecan Valley Golf Club
Julius Boros

PGA Championship
Dallas Athletic Club, Blue Course
Jack Nicklaus

US Open
Northwood Club
Julius Boros

US Open
Colonial Country Club
Craig Wood

PGA Championship
Cedar Crest Country Club now Cedar Crest Park
Walter Hagen
Mr.Bond
AG
flogmat said:

Anyone remember old Waterwood National? I bet par 3 14th was on that list at one time.

Man I miss that place. Had my district tournament there twice. What a gem
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Hotdog Hamblin
AG
RIP Mr. Dye. The par 3 mentioned and the par 4 just before it were very memorable, maybe just because of the periscope with regard to the par 4. I had never seen anything like that on a golf course.
Poot
The tee shot down the terraced hill was awesome... but the the approach into elevated green hanging out there on 13 was what it was all about.

The par 3 14 still gives us hookers nightmares.
SW AG80
AG
Most famous in my book, even though it no longer exists, is #18 at Pecan Valley in San Antonio. Arnie's best chance to win the PGA with an unbelievable 3 wood out of the left rough to about 10' from the pen. Still see a replay of that shot and that hole on tv every now and then. For you youngsters, Arnie missed the putt and Boros won it by a stroke.
Poot
Pecan Valley was a classic. I only played in 1 two day tournament there, but it was awesome and I LOVED it. RIP.
Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

flogmat said:

played waterwood and cape royal a lot when I was in college at Sam. Texas national I think it was called was fun the one time I went out there, but was under construction.
Mr.Bond
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

flogmat said:

played waterwood and cape royal a lot when I was in college at Sam. Texas national I think it was called was fun the one time I went out there, but was under construction.

Yea Texas national was actually the closest course to my childhood home in cut N shoot. The only issue there was they typically had mosquitoes big enough to **** a hummingbird in the ass flat footed
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.