Most famous golf hole in Texas?

7,308 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yesterday
flogmat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Come to think of it, that entire course is all memorable holes. 4 and 5 along the lake. 10 was a wild par 5. 11 par 3 with sand everywhere. 15 and 16 both 90 degree doglegs. Just a great place to play.
dc509
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Debbie who did Dallas?

Funny you mention that. A house that was used in the movie is on one of the fairways at one of the CCA courses in Plano.
Prexys Moon
AG
really sad that Pecan Valley does not even exist anymore. What was the story there? Public course in a crappy part of town?
SW AG80
AG
That's pretty much it. It was managed by a company that has several courses. Pecan Valley always seemed fairly busy to me. The land is not good for anything else because it is in a flood plane. Maybe it was too hard for the average golfer. It is in the top 3 layouts I have ever played. I loved it.
DoubleE65
AG
Par 3 16th at Cordillera is impressive.
ChoppinDs40
AG
George Bush hole at Whispering Pines
Corporal Punishment
AG
#3 at the A&M campus course...aka "The Road Hole"

Am I the only one that's sliced a half dozen tee shots or so into westbound traffic on George Bush?
E
AG
Hopefully in a few years it'll be #17 at Memorial Park
JYDog90
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

I used to play a tournament every summer at Mill Creek in Salado. One of the holes on the front had a green shaped like a heart. Maybe hole 4? Thought that was unique.

Yes! I played a jr high tournament and high school tournament there. The tee box was shaped like an arrow.
DOCAG79
AG
Tin Cup Hole at Deerwood is great but a par 4 and not a par 5 as was in the movie! #11 at Walden is the easiest par 7 I've ever played!!!!
caddy
Par 4 13th at Austin Country Club is very recognizable.
Mr.Bond
AG
DOCAG79 said:

Tin Cup Hole at Deerwood is great but a par 4 and not a par 5 as was in the movie! #11 at Walden is the easiest par 7 I've ever played!!!!

Took me a second lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BoerneGator
AG
SW AG80 said:

Most famous in my book, even though it no longer exists, is #18 at Pecan Valley in San Antonio. Arnie's best chance to win the PGA with an unbelievable 3 wood out of the left rough to about 10' from the pen. Still see a replay of that shot and that hole on tv every now and then. For you youngsters, Arnie missed the putt and Boros won it by a stroke.
I was standing right behind Arnie when he made that shot! I had followed him all day long, and he was hitting greens, but couldn't make any putts. That was a very dramatic "moment", but alas, he missed that putt as well! Still, one of the "greatest clutch" shots ever made in golf, imo! It was the summer of ' 68, after my fish year...
BoerneGator
AG
Prexys Moon said:

really sad that Pecan Valley does not even exist anymore. What was the story there? Public course in a crappy part of town?
It's still there, at least I believe 9 holes still exists, with the remainder being turned into a housing development that I believe is "Wounded Warrior" related. I forget the details, so google...

It was built in a great location along Salado Creek in SE San Antonio, but the new growth (it was built in the early '60s) was all to the north side of SA, and so it died a slow, natural death. It actually was a public course most of its life, and I got to play it often. It was known for the towering pecan trees that guarded the fairways, and thus its name.
560ti
Don't know about the whole state but everyone who lives in North Texas rants about #15 at Northwood

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/images/Northwood-1_web.jpg
mm98
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

#3 at the A&M campus course...aka "The Road Hole"

Am I the only one that's sliced a half dozen tee shots or so into westbound traffic on George Bush?
(slowly raises hand...)
SW AG80
AG
BoerneGator said:

SW AG80 said:

Most famous in my book, even though it no longer exists, is #18 at Pecan Valley in San Antonio. Arnie's best chance to win the PGA with an unbelievable 3 wood out of the left rough to about 10' from the pen. Still see a replay of that shot and that hole on tv every now and then. For you youngsters, Arnie missed the putt and Boros won it by a stroke.
I was standing right behind Arnie when he made that shot! I had followed him all day long, and he was hitting greens, but couldn't make any putts. That was a very dramatic "moment", but alas, he missed that putt as well! Still, one of the "greatest clutch" shots ever made in golf, imo! It was the summer of ' 68, after my fish year...
Boerne, you are old. I was there too. I was 11 years old! On the second green I got inside the ropes and sat down (I was kinda under the rope). Arnie came and stud next to me as he was waiting to putt. He looked down at me like "kid what are you doing." His forearms and shoulders were so big I thought he could be an NFL linebacker. Of course, I was only 11.
BoerneGator
AG
It was the summer after my fish year, so I was still 18 (turned 19 two weeks later). Remember how portly Julius Boris was? And he sweated a bunch walking that course that hot July day. So yeah, I'm 30 years older now than Arnie was then, just to put it all into perspective...
SW AG80
AG
And I heard people boo Nicklaus because he was beginning to challenge Arnie. The Army did not like that.

I started dating my wife in 1978, our Jr. year at A&M. She is from San Antonio. First time I came home with her I thought it was really cool that she lived on a hill that overlooked Pecan Valley CC. Not a good area of town now, though.
BoerneGator
AG
Was never a fan of Jack, and while I admired his obvious greatness, I hated that it came at Arnie's expense. That same dynamic repeated itself a generation later with Tiger and Phil.

Meanwhile, ain't golf a great game?!
SW AG80
AG
It is, and I am going to hit balls this afternoon. Grew up playing--a lot--but last few years I may play once a year. Sometnhng I need to change as I get close to retirement.
BoerneGator
AG
I'm not playing as often as I'd like now, but a couple of years ago, I was playing 2-3 times /week, and playing the best of my life. I almost shot my age one day. No other game is that even possible. But, it is also THE most humbling game I've ever played! And my property adjoins a very popular course, so I haven't bought a golf ball in years.
Yesterday
AG
I'm trying to think of non Texans seeing a hole on TV and knowing instantly where they were playing. Maybe 13 at Colonial with the water/grand stands and stone siding on the green. But probably the most famous is 18 at Colonial only because of the clubhouse backdrop.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.