Byron Nelson leaving Trinity Forest

6,597 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agsalaska
Tom Hagen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone with stars pull up the original Trinity Forest thread? I remember quite a few posters saying it would fail.
Yesterday
AG
Quinn said:

92TXAG said:

SMU has a relatively-new facility at DAC and they have "access" virtually wherever they want...

One issue about TF is the commute to that part of town and there's been a big deal made by the girl's team, especially this time of year when there are fewer daylight hours.

This venue was a bad sell from the beginning. The City of Dallas received a lot of pressure from the tournament sponsor, AT&T, and the leverage they employed with their lobbying-arm. Once again, Dallas gets screwed due to weak leadership.
Does the city still have a financial commitment left to contribute/pay or has it already been given to the club?
I think the commitment was already done. They gave the club millions to help build it and then they leased it back to them for $10k/year for 40 years.
dc509
AG
SMU isn't going anywhere for awhile, but that's about the only positive for TF. Tom Dundon's pipe dream of the US Open is dead, and a former web.com player I know told me that of the two courses built for that purpose Maridoe is superior.
Quinn
AG
Interesting - I wonder if Maridoe is in the running to host the Byron Nelson?
powerbelly
AG
Quinn said:

Interesting - I wonder if Maridoe is in the running to host the Byron Nelson?
I doubt it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My understanding about Maridoe is that they aren't interested in the hassle of hosting. Plus not having remotely the infrastructure for it.
dc509
AG
I think it's going back to the Four Seasons until the completion of the new course in Frisco.
grego
AG
Maridoe would be fantastic to host an event. Hardest course in the metroplex. And not sure how they don't have the facilities? I know clubhouse Reno and addition was in progress last time I was there but it would be plenty big enough. And they have all that staging area as you first enter.
agsalaska
AG
dc509 said:

I think it's going back to the Four Seasons until the completion of the new course in Frisco.

I keep seeing that but am not sure why. For some reason I doubt that they would want that.

In my mind the only real options are the TPC courses in Irving and Craig Ranch. I'd put 100 on it going back to Irving.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DannyDuberstein
AG
TeeBox, who as I mentioned on page 1 called out the signs something was happening over a month ago, said this AM almost certainly 4 Seasons. They were actually broadcasting from Craig Ranch this AM when saying that. Big picture is they need the awesome amenities to draw players, and no other course comes close. All much closer to TF than 4 Seasons.
WhoopN06
I'm also in agreement. I doubt this tournament is played at the new course in Frisco when it's built.
Prexys Moon
AG
The whole thing was a great case of virtue-signaling gone bad. Powers that be decided to take it to "south Dallas" to spur "development" and just assumed that the big name pros and fans would follow it down there. Well guess what, it didn't. I don't know if the tournament will ever recover from this, no matter where it goes. Especially with the big names bailing out.
Bunk Moreland
Is Old American Golf Club not an option? I know they host a LPGA event out there. I have only played it once but I feel like it might be able to work. Also with the lake there you could have a bit of a party scene on the water as well.
agsalaska
AG
Prexys Moon said:

The whole thing was a great case of virtue-signaling gone bad. Powers that be decided to take it to "south Dallas" to spur "development" and just assumed that the big name pros and fans would follow it down there. Well guess what, it didn't. I don't know if the tournament will ever recover from this, no matter where it goes. Especially with the big names bailing out.
I think if it goes back to Irving it will be fine. IMO there are three real threats to tour stops and those are sponsors(obviously), course(they are fixing that), and schedule. Because of all of the other events out there it is very difficult if not impossible to have the perfect spot, but anything in April-May will always give the tournament an opportunity to have a good field. It will never be great, but the only two regular stops that always get 'great' fields are Torrey Pines and Murfield. But the April May run of San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Charlotte, New Orleans is in the heart of the season when these guys will be dialing it in. Give them a good destination and there will be plenty of good golfers.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.