FedEx Cup Format

5,555 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Zombie
Oyster DuPree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Worked perfect. Stacked leaderboard and top 12 are within 5 shots after round 1.

If everyone started at E there would be 15 players within 5 shots of the lead
jja79
AG
I didn't say it bothers me just that I find it less interesting than a stroke play tournament.
Austintm
I saw an interesting idea on a golf site use the same cut points (first to 75 then to 30) but use the combined scores for all 3 tournaments to determine the winner.
The Milkman
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Worked perfect. Stacked leaderboard and top 12 are within 5 shots after round 1.

But do you think Sun-Jae Im or Corey Conners deserves to be within reach?
Oyster DuPree
AG
The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Yes
Unemployed
AG
The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Why not? They made the top 30 to qualify for the Tour Championship.
The Lost
RealTalk said:

The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Should all NFL playoff games be at a neutral site? Should the one seed have to play the 2 seed because they're geographically closer?

All playoff systems give the best an advantage in some fashion.
Oyster DuPree
AG
The Lost said:

RealTalk said:

The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Should all NFL playoff games be at a neutral site? Should the one seed have to play the 2 seed because they're geographically closer?

Should the Super Bowl start 7-0 because one team has a better record than the other?
DadAG10
Oyster DuPree said:

The Lost said:

RealTalk said:

The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Should the Super Bowl start 7-0 because one team has a better record than the other?
NO, but best record gets homefield during the playoffs.
The Milkman
AG
The PGA Tour is a marketing agency. Their job is to create the most entertaining product that they can and promote the players. That includes having the names people want to see at the top of the leaderboard. They are not a league in the same sense as the NFL or MLB in order to crown the best player in the world.
E
AG
Good lord, y'all are arguing about such minor stuff. If you don't like the format then don't watch.

This is one out of what 50 tournaments? In past the fedex cup was just a total point system and kinda lame. At least this brings some drama to it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the format, but the fed ex cup needed a change and this might work. Won't know until it's over. They got 30 of the top players playing in contention, after a playoff system.
Unemployed
AG
The Lost said:

RealTalk said:

The Milkman said:

Oyster DuPree said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Aaah I take it back. I misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he meant that if Im or Conners won the Tour Championship, that they're not deserving because they're no-names.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Now that they've changed the Tour Championship scoring, it seems stupid to have 2 trophies. It feels like it should all just be consolidated into the Fedex Championship at this point since the Tour Championship has been fully repurposed and the scoring is skewed in advance.
aggiedent
AG
In my opinion, which means nothing except to me, I find this whole FedEx playoff thing, a desperate attempt to manufacture late season drama ............. and it totally fails.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Austintm said:

I saw an interesting idea on a golf site use the same cut points (first to 75 then to 30) but use the combined scores for all 3 tournaments to determine the winner.

What they are doing this year is much better than what they've done in the past.

The quoted idea above would be cool because every shot would matter in the early tournaments. But you risk having a big runaway winner. Would be awesome if there wasn't a runaway though.
snowaggie
How about no outright shaving of strokes for top-tier points. Instead, what if top 10 could tee off from any box, 11-20 any except the most forward, etc...

PGA might be afraid that some top 10 would shame the others and tee off from the back because it's too cheesy. Then again, with that much money at stake...?
Zombie
Moving up tee boxes would actually be a disadvantage to alot of these players. They are so used to hitting from the tips that it would completely throw off their game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.