ANNUAL POSTING OF MASTERS TIPS with a few additions for this year...

9,564 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mr.Bond
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok. Here's the 2019 VERSION of the annual tips for the Masters... I don't claim to know everything, just passing on my advice and opinions.

Note that I said opinions. Feel free to disagree with anything below. its just my 2 cents...these tips cost you nothing...

I post this every year on Texags. I modified a few things for this year (ADDED HOLE BY HOLE NOTES), and added a few other items.

My first Masters was in 1995. I've been every year since, and have worked as a volunteer since 2003. I'll be on the scoring committee again this year, but worked many years on the information boards and ran the 1st tee during the practice rounds for many years before moving to scoring

WHY SCORING? I now have a very cool and easy job. Scoring is great because you don't have to work the practice rounds (no scoring during practice rounds.... we're talking about practice.)
Scoring gives you a much easier week. SCORING has a meeting at 9 am on Wednesday that lasts about an hour. I'll then work 4 - 6 hours a day on Thursday thru Sunday.
And I have the 16th hole, which is a great hole to sit on... its pretty, there's lots of action, and I don't have to count to more than 4 most of the time...
Note that our 'score' is the score that all media uses... the official score is the players scorecard of course. but we're not allowed to ask the player their score. we must count. and if we make an error too many times, we don't get invited back... so #16 is great. very easy to keep score...

I started on the information boards., it was great to be a part of the masters, and I was happy to be there, but it was a lot of work

After about 5 years, they moved me to run the 1st tee. That was by far the greatest volunteer job at the masters. I was basically the starter for the practice rounds. And when the tournament started on Thursday, I'd move to the 10th tee to call the turn. (AN members announce the players during the tournament)

But I gave it up about 6 years ago to go to scoring.. why? Well the group of volunteers called the gallery guard (think yellow hard hats in the past), as well as the information boards, and me on the 1st tee) work the practice rounds AND the tournament days... the gallery guard works all 7 days.
The scoring committee is much smaller. Scoring only works Thursday - Sunday. And most scorers will work in shifts. (remember, I have to count to 4 or 5 many times...)
As great as the 1st tee job was, I love the shorter week.

Enough on that for now, but yes all of the volunteers (scoring + Gallery) get to come back and play augusta national in the 3rd week of may when they close the course. I've now played the course 19 times (I was a guest of a member one year... another story) REMEMBER THAT AUGUSTA NATIONAL IS CLOSED from mid-may to mid October. probably opposite what you'd think... AN was built as a winter retreat from the cold weather up north...

Again, my years as a volunteer DOESNT make me an expert, but it gives me a few OPINIONS I will be scoring for the 16th hole (par 3) so come by and say hello

A - first - understand that MONDAY is the day with the least play. Some of the players will play... and you'll certainly enjoy the course and seeing it first hand. but don't be surprised if some of the big names (mickleson) do not play on Monday. And I don't recommend hanging out on the 1st tee hoping someone will show up. That's a waste of time. And remember that none of the volunteers (marshals) know who will play or when they'll play. There's no tee times. The players play as much or as little as they want.

TUESDAY is a great practice round day... almost all of the field will play, and most will play 18 holes. Many of the best players (tiger, phil, Freddie) will be off #1 or #10 very early. So get there early. Bubba Watson is usually the first one off, and usually plays alone (and now we know why...)

WEDNESDAY... everyone loves Wednesday, and that includes the volunteers (marshals and scorers) as most volunteers will get the afternoon off. The par 3 is great, but if that's your only day, you will not see as much play on the big course as many players are resting for Thursday

Everyone knows you can bring a camera in on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... but no chairs with arms, and I don't think they're allowing cell phones yet. Someday they will. Remember you'll go thru a metal detector on the way in

B - check out the INFORMATION BOARDS. There's one by the main leaderboard as well as by the concessions at the back gate.. Those boards will tell you who's on the course and when they teed off or when they made the turn. It will also tell you who's on the driving range

Once the tournament starts on Thursday, the boards will have the tee times

C - Remember that there are NO TEE TIMES FOR THE PRACTICE ROUNDS. The players will play whenever they want. And they can go off the front, or the back, or stop at any point.

A couple of years ago, it was a Monday and everyone kept asking me where Tiger was... Of course we don't know when the players will play. Anyway, at about 4:00, tiger came out of the clubhouse and tee'd off on #10. Thousands of people were so excited that tiger was finally playing... and he took thousands of people with him down the hill on #10. But after putting out on 10, he walked over to the 18 tee (which is close to 10 green) and played 18 back up the hill and then went back in the clubhouse. Many of these people were then mad at me... Again, the players do whatever they want during the practice rounds

D - PARKING is now a snap since they've cleared out all the houses along berkman drive. Just follow the signs... Earlier the better. I'd recommend taking the bobby jones exit from i20 versus Washington road. Washington road always has the most traffic. Early and late...

it's a great story how we (volunteers) showed up a couple of years ago, and literally thousands of houses along and behind berkmans road had been bought, moved or dozed... to create all that free parking so enjoy it.
You can also spend $10 - 20 parking in a church or business along Washington road. But remember that WASHINGTON ROAD is main street for augusta... lots of traffic... I vote for the free parking off of berkman..

E - TRAFFIC is a problem... remember - augusta is a very small town to host such a large event. Its spring break for the people who live there. Most people who live there want to get as far away as possible, so they rent their house and hit the road.

F BUY YOUR STUFF when you get there and SHIP IT HOME. There's no sense lugging it around. You can ship or store it while you see the course. Prices are mostly the same as what you'd pay at your local pro shop. I've been watching people buy stuff for 20 years, and most people spend at least $300, and many people go much higher. I've heard of people from asia spending $20,000 something about trump and the trade deficit

The pro shop in the front is the largest one, but there's also a really nice one at the back gate. The back gate area was re-done several years ago - its very nice... that's also where Berckman's place is... the front gate merchandise and concessions areas have been redone as well.

G the FOOD IS CHEAP. You'll understand this if you've ever been to the US open, or an NFL game. A sandwich is $2 - 3 dollars. Chips are a buck. A coke is $1.50... SO eat up... beer is cheap too, but they stop selling it at 4:00. People rave about the pimento sandwich, but I don't like pimento. I go all out and spend $3.50 on the club SW

H - RHINEHARTS is my best DINING recommendation. Its about 3 miles from ANGC on the other side of i20 on Washington road. Its very rustic (it's a dive), but the best fried shrimp I've ever had. It always looks crowded, but you can get in. I will eat there several nights during masters week. There's another rhineharts further out on Washington road that's less crowded and the same great food / beer... but really the restaurants along Washington road are easier to get in than you would think. Especially the non native food... but beware that Mexican food in augusta isn't the same as tex mex in texas

I - I don't get the CHAIR thing. Yes - you can buy a chair, put it down on the ropes, and leave it and not worry about losing it. But the stands are there for a reason. The best viewing is the stands. I'd avoid the chair thing. But lots of people disagree with me

NOTE: if it rains or storms, go back and pick up your chair. If AN decides to move all the patrons outside the inner gate (back to the concession and merchandise areas), you may NOT be able to retrieve your chair later if play doesn't resume

J - the best seat / viewing at Augusta? The right side stands on #15 (last par 5 on the back). You'll see the shots into the green on 15 and the shots into 16 (par 3 my hole). Those stands are always full. but be patient. People will leave. So hang out in line and you'll get a seat remember The stands are there for a reason most of the best viewing is where the stands are

K - see the entire course. \Walk all of it... You may never be there again. And you'll be blown away by the slopes, size of greens, depth of bunkers, hump in the green on #6, size of green on #3, the skinny green on #7; the elevation change on #6 and #10, beauty everywhere...

Notice the design... also remember the changes that have been made... some good, some bad (in my opinion)

A few highlights (hole by hole:

#1 note the depth of the right bunkers. Also note how far the tee box has been moved back.

#2 easiest hole on the course... making a par on #2 will feel like a bogey to the pros...

#3 now almost driveable by many in the field. But note what's behind the green and how easy it is to hit over it.

#4 - brutal par 3. Brutal green. Remember when phil hit the rail of the stands?

THIS YEAR (2019) - you must see #5. This hole was always interesting because of the green. And it's the hole that is LEAST VISITED because of where it is
But AN moved the tee box this year... The hole is longer (of course), but the tee box was moved to relieve congestion with the 4th green. And since AN owns more property (closing berckmans road), they moved the fence and found room to build a new ELEVATED tee box. We saw the construction last may when we were there for PLAYDAY but I'm anxious to see it now that its finished. I have mixed emotions here. The congestion with people traffic from the 4th green was real. So they probably had to do it. But now they've really changed the hole to be less of a dogleft LEFT.
BEFORE they moved the tee box, the tee shot was intimidating because of the bunkers on the left side and the tree line on the right. Many people find the trees because the left bunkers are deep. Now that its straighter, I think the tee shot will be easier. I just don't think you change the routing on a great course like that.
And remember the 5th green. You must see it. Note the super large hump in the middle of the green. You will not SEE this as much on TV

Note the elevation change (visually) on #6, the par 3. But its mostly an optical delusion it looks like its massively downhill. But it plays almost flat

Look at #7... that green is ridiculous... lots of slopes, and its tiny. The hole (#7) was designed in the early 30's to be played as a 3 iron and then a PW on to the green. Designed as a 325 yard hole with tree's crimping in towards the greens. In other words, the green was designed to accept a shot from a wedge. And the hole was designed to be a very tight driving hole hence the 3 iron. But over time, the trees continue to grow in, making the hole tighter now than before. The storm a couple of years ago thinned the tops of many trees, but there's no questions they are larger now
#7 is now 450 yards and tighter than ever because the trees keep growing and the green is still a postage stamp...
And yes I'm one of those old guys who thinks the ball goes too far and its ruining a lot of great golf courses around the country.

#8 note how uphill the hole is. Again hard to see on TV.

#9 is another hole that's been moved way back. I remember when every player hit their tee shot to the bottom of the hill and thru the cross walk. But note how scary the approach looks to that elevated green. That green is a 3 putt waiting to happen..

#10 no one realizes how downhill this par 4 is.. its shocking to people when they see it for the first time. And you'll notice a large bunker in the middle of the fairway about 90 yards from the green. Its not really in play, but that bunker was a green side bunker before the green was moved (back).

#11 note the difference between the member tee and the pro tee. Its about 150 yards beautiful hole, but a scary 2nd shot with the water on the left. Missing the green on the right isn't fun either. Unless you're larry mize...

#12 beautiful hole. The big surprise for me was realizing that the creek is concrete lined. The first time I played it, I couldn't believe I was seeing concrete on the sides and the bottom that were installed to eliminate any risk of erosion.

#13 my favorite hole... tons of action and history... Another hole where distance has made it a very easy par 5 for the pros. And everyone knows that AN bought land from Augusta Country Club to move the tee back.. ACC had to move a green to accommodate AN but anything can be done when you don't care what it cost...

#14 my least favorite hole. Its easier now as they reduced the size of the hump in the green.. but its a tee box and a green with lots of slopes... no bunkers...

#15 another great hole.... risk / reward... note the trees on the right. They're mature now, but everyone remembers when they were planted to eliminate the Tiger effect.

Another must do for the practice rounds is #16. make sure you see the players skip balls on #16. It always amazes me to see a great pro hit a 7 or 8 iron to 30 feet on #16... but then skip it 10 times off the pond in front of the green to 5 feet. and yes - john daly made a hole in one on 16 one year by skipping the ball. it was a practice round but the place went nuts...

John doesn't get to play the Masters anymore - but he's always in his RV selling clothes and hats in the Hooter's parking lot... go by and see him...

#17 it's a totally different tee shot now that the Eisenhower tree has been removed. It was damaged in a storm several years ago and AN had to remove it. I'm actually surprised they haven't replaced it It's a much easier tee show now...

#18. Last but not least by any means. Most people are shocked to see how uphill it is. But it makes sense given how downhill #10 is. And note the tightness of the shoot that the tee shot is hit thru. And note the green. TV doesn't show the tiers in the green

THAT'S ALL FOR THE COURSE.. BACK TO A FEW SUGGESTIONS

L - WHAT TO WEAR first watch the weather. It can be quite cool in the morning, but warm up nicely in the afternoons. Obviously wear layers

Also I used to make fun of all the guys wearing golf shoes and I can also remember the noise of metal spikes but now I've changed my mind especially when it rains. Remember AN is full of slopes. (trust me if you've never been there, you will be shocked by the slopes around the green and how much of an elevated tee #10 is)
When it rains, its very slippery... I've seen lots of falls and spills over the years... which is I why I think soft spikes (that are comfortable) is a good idea. But remember you'll walk a lot..

I would not carry an umbrella in. if its rains, go buy one. they're about $40 and you wanted an excuse to buy one anyway...

M - make sure you check out the driving range.. I haven't been everywhere, but I've never seen anything like it...

N - autographs - lots of possibilities at the par 3 event on Wednesday.. but officially, the only place you're supposed to get autographs is where the players leave the driving range...
but there's always a few kids waiting for players as they exit the 18th green and the nice pro's will usually sign...

O Lastly, don't be that guy. Avoid being:
[ol]
  • "the you da man guy, or the booyah or 'mashed potatoes' guy.
  • the drink all day guy carrying your masters beer cups around
  • the guy who goes thru the trash looking for plastic masters cups,
  • the guy who wears the ricky fowler clothes, or the guy who wears the loudmouth pants
  • ...the masters is a classy place. be the classy guy...:-) they may be watching you trying to decide if they're going to offer you a membership
  • [/ol]
    ENJOY THE GREATEST SHOW EARTH AND EASILY THE BEST RUN

trust me - years of the masters has ruined every other PGA event for me.

I went to the PGA event in phoenix a couple of years ago and freaked out... 2 opposite ends of the spectrum...

And why do we volunteer? easy: The benefit of being a volunteer is we get to come back in may and play the course no, we don't play the tips, and the member tees make the course very short (6300 yards). but the greens are still the greens and yes, I've putted off the green...

Happy to answer any questions. I may start another thread just to tell stories

GOOD LUCK.... if youre there for a tournament round, come by and see me. I'm on 16 on the right side of the green above the bunker. I enjoy talking to ags every year
    Aggie95
    AG
    how do you get on the volunteer gig? I live in GA and would be interested to hear how you got involved in that
    Front Range Ag
    AG
    Thanks for the insight!
    I started a thread a while back asking about volunteer experiences. I had applied to volunteer for the Rhyder next year in Wisconsin. Is it difficult to get on as a volunteer at AN of a guy wanted to?
    mosesrab90
    AG
    Agree with everything including the chairs (just walk the grounds - it's amazing every time I go). And if you're lucky enough like me to enjoy the Berckmann's Place area off 5th it's the best experience hands down at any sporting event. Have met and talked with more AN members in their jackets than I can remember. Memorabilia back there is incredible - including Eisenhower's green jacket.
    JCA1
    AG
    Always enjoy reading this, boo. I was lucky enough to go 2 years ago (sat 1st row on the water on 16 on Thursday!) and reading this takes me back. Everything you say is true. Just an unparalleled experience. I would take Masters passes over every other sporting event in the world. It's that special.
    Roger Goodell
    I live in Georgia too. Would love to volunteer.
    jonj101
    Its always great to see this thread every year - a Texags Masters tradition like no other.
    Mr.Bond
    AG
    Are smart watches allowed? Assuming they're not cellular capable
    Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

schwabbin
    AG
    Great tips for anyone headed to Augusta.
    Aggie1391
    Love this thread every year. Don't have any advice about the tournament itself, but I lived in Augusta so maybe a few tips on the city itself:

Rhineharts is probably the place to eat that gets mentioned the most, but there are a couple other decent options around as well:

- Frog Hollow - expensive for Augusta, but if you're from a major city, it's not bad at all
    - Abel Brown - same as above
    - Nacho Mama's - probably the best margs in the city, although that's not saying much
    - Sole - Sushi spot downtown that turns into a club at night. Good spot for partying with the young crowd
    - Whiskey Bar - Pretty great whiskey selection
    - Oliviana - Pretty good Italian restaurant

Most of the places close to the course on Washington have stuff going on all throughout the week. Natty Lite had a free party all week where the Midas is. And Hooters and World of Beer were always packed as well.

If you're planning on playing golf in the area, my favorite course was The River Golf Club. Good shape, big, fast greens. If you want something with elevation change, try Forrest Hills or Mount Vintage. Neither were in the best shape from what I remember, but they are good layouts.
    kelkel25
    Awesome tips
    ProudAg16
    AG
    Mr.Bond said:

Great question, wondering that as well.

First timer making the trip. Can't freaking wait!
    anonymousAg05
    AG
    ProudAg16 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Per the paperwork that came with the tickets:

"Devices such as fitness tracking bands and electronic watches are permitted. However, the use of such devices for phone calls, emails, text messaging and other photo, video, or data recording and/or transmission is prohibited."
    Mr.Bond
    AG
    Thanks
    Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BigHitterDaLama
    Mr.Bond said:

Thanks
    exactly what I wanna tell you after you pick me up a White logo'd coffee mug.
    DannyDuberstein
    AG
    anonymousAg05 said:

ProudAg16 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Per the paperwork that came with the tickets:

"Devices such as fitness tracking bands and electronic watches are permitted. However, the use of such devices for phone calls, emails, text messaging and other photo, video, or data recording and/or transmission is prohibited."

This sounds like too much of a temptation (or just too easy to violate without thinking) at a place where'd you'd puke if tossed and/or banned.
    khaos288
    AG
    Boo can we have a sunday watch party at your house and watch game of thrones after?
    Mr.Bond
    AG
    BigHitterDaLama said:

Mr.Bond said:

Thanks
    exactly what I wanna tell you after you pick me up a White logo'd coffee mug.

Wait until you see the shipping and handling charges

FDT 1999
    AG
    Mr.Bond said:

They let me in last year (Wednesday) with an Apple watch with no real problems, but they did look at it and passed me onto the 2nd group of scanners to be sure.

It was a really quick process, but you can tell they are serious about security (as they should be). Police in tactical gear, semi-auto rifles, and police dogs as you walk up.
    Mr.Bond
    AG
    I've been, just never with a smart watch

jonj101
    Boo, not hijacking your thread, but if anyone is in the mood to see pics of a walk through of Monday a few years ago:

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2846217
    Duckhook
    AG
    Great post Boo, but the one thing I disagree with is shopping first thing in the morning. The one time I went a couple of years ago, that's what we did based on recommendations. But, it was a madhouse. We came back around to the merchandise area a couple of other times through the day, and it was never as crowded. The UPS shipping station right around the corner was great. Came back from lunch 3 days after my trip and there's a big box sitting on my desk. It was like Christmas all over again.
    Quinn
    AG
    What time is the course open until on Wednesday? I'm planning to stay until they kick me out.
    Marauder Blue 6
    AG
    Duckhook said:

Great post Boo, but the one thing I disagree with is shopping first thing in the morning. The one time I went a couple of years ago, that's what we did based on recommendations. But, it was a madhouse. We came back around to the merchandise area a couple of other times through the day, and it was never as crowded. The UPS shipping station right around the corner was great. Came back from lunch 3 days after my trip and there's a big box sitting on my desk. It was like Christmas all over again.
    Until you go back in the afternoon and what you saw in the morning is now sold out and there are none left at the front or back gift shops. It happened to me last year. The lines in the morning move pretty fast in spite of how many people are in them and how much stuff they have.
    DannyDuberstein
    AG
    If I recall, the outside gates open at 7am but the inner ropes to access the course don't open until 8am. So that is your magic hour to get your shopping accomplished. Get there early so you can be one of the first in at 7am, hit the shop which is open at that point, either check or ship you loot, then be ready to hit the course at 8am. This is what I've done for a couple of practice rounds (never been to a regular tournament round), and it worked out perfect. I spent a ****-ton of money before the shop was crowded. You can really breeze through and damage your wallet severely in short order at that time.

Now the wildcard is if you are looking to go plant a chair in a prime spot, you may end up just trying to hold your spot near the rope vs. shopping. But in the trips I've made (just practice rounds), I didn't mess with the chair. I took boo's advice and sat in the bleachers, particularly the advice about 15/16.
    The Lost
    Quote:

I - I don't get the CHAIR thing. Yes - you can buy a chair, put it down on the ropes, and leave it and not worry about losing it. But the stands are there for a reason. The best viewing is the stands. I'd avoid the chair thing. But lots of people disagree with me
    From my experience going on sunday 2017, it was awesome having a chair/front row seat on 16. I will never experience something as cool as watching rose/garcia putt and how dead silent it was with a few thousand people around. I don't think there is another place on earth that could recreate it. Plus we didn't have to sit around and wait to get our spot. We got there early, bought chairs, set them down. Then got to wander until the names started rolling through 16. It was great. Sitting around Amen Corner was also amazing. It almost doesnt feel real. We sat in the bleachers there for a while and loved it.

However, if it wasn't saturday/sunday where the leaders roll through last, i definitely would skip the chairs.
    Marauder Blue 6
    AG
    We bought chairs on mmogolf.com last year before the tournament. On Sunday morning, we were at the gate at 5:30 but my buddy and I got separated once they opened. I put my chair down immediately behind the scorers table on 1 and he put his next to the green on 18. We eventually found each other and bought two more chairs, one for 1 and one for 18, to have two seats at each. One 1, we sat and watched the 1st and 3rd wave of golfers come through. It was neat to hear the conversations between the players, caddies, and ANGC members as well as talk to the ANGC members. An added bonus was several family and friends seeing us on tv as most of the players teed off to begin their rounds. We walked the back 9 while the 2nd wave of golfers teed off and then the rest of the course after Reed & McIlroy teed off. While having chairs was fun, I'm not sure I'd do so again.
    jonj101
    We are less than three weeks out - this thread deserves more attention.
    GIF Reactor
    AG
    The Lost said:

Quote:

From my experience going on sunday 2017, it was awesome having a chair/front row seat on 16. I will never experience something as cool as watching rose/garcia putt and how dead silent it was with a few thousand people around. I don't think there is another place on earth that could recreate it. Plus we didn't have to sit around and wait to get our spot. We got there early, bought chairs, set them down. Then got to wander until the names started rolling through 16. It was great. Sitting around Amen Corner was also amazing. It almost doesnt feel real. We sat in the bleachers there for a while and loved it.

However, if it wasn't saturday/sunday where the leaders roll through last, i definitely would skip the chairs.

The chair thing is pretty amazing, but not completely without incident. Ours were moved a few years ago when we went to the Thursday round. I'm still bitter about that.
    bagger05
    AG
    Sunday 2011 tons of us left chairs next to 14 tee after the last group went through. Came back as play was ending and all of them were gone. Like 50 of them.
    Famous Shoes
    AG
    DannyDuberstein said:

If I recall, the outside gates open at 7am but the inner ropes to access the course don't open until 8am. So that is your magic hour to get your shopping accomplished. Get there early so you can be one of the first in at 7am, hit the shop which is open at that point, either check or ship you loot, then be ready to hit the course at 8am. This is what I've done for a couple of practice rounds (never been to a regular tournament round), and it worked out perfect. I spent a ****-ton of money before the shop was crowded. You can really breeze through and damage your wallet severely in short order at that time.

Now the wildcard is if you are looking to go plant a chair in a prime spot, you may end up just trying to hold your spot near the rope vs. shopping. But in the trips I've made (just practice rounds), I didn't mess with the chair. I took boo's advice and sat in the bleachers, particularly the advice about 15/16.
    How early is early? 5:30-6am?
    David_Puddy
    AG
    Just had someone back out so I snagged a ticket with 3 others (2 Ags & 1 LSU guy) to Monday's round. I'm a first timer, so looking forward to walking the course and taking everything in.
    Post removed:
    by user
    bjh19
    AG
    Is the merchandise shop at the back gate good or should we stick with the front one?
    The Lost
    bjh19 said:

Is the merchandise shop at the back gate good or should we stick with the front one?
    They both have one, but the front one was bigger i think? I could be wrong we just bought chairs and ran from the back one, then actually shopped at the front one while killing time before tee times began.
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.