Putters

5,165 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txags11
txags11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm close to caving in and buying a nice putter. I've had the same one for quite a few years and when I bought it I liked the long putter but I just can't stand it anymore. I'm wanting to splurge on a Scotty (never owned one, always wanted one) but if there's a better option out there, I'm all ears.

Any suggestions on something better or the best way to go about buying a Scotty?
FincAggie06
AG
Putters, IMO, are the most personal choice specific clubs of all. It has to look right to you when standing over the ball as well as fit the style of putting stroke you have. For example, a mallet putter just doesn't suit my eye at all.

I say, if you want a Scotty, buy a Scotty. Even if you suck, it will still look great in the bag!
Forum Troll
AG
I like the feel of a milled putter so I play a SC Newport. Ping also makes a good milled putter in their Vault models. Evnroll, bettinardi also make some good stuff. Inserts are so so for me.

Ideally get a putter you like to look at, like the feel, and something that matches your stroke (straight, slight arc, strong arc). Go to a PGA tour superstore, they have what seems like 200 putters to play around with.
E
AG
Don't waste your money on a Scotty unless you want to show it off. Instead do a putter fitting and get fitted for the best putter for you.

PA24
AG
E said:

Don't waste your money on a Scotty unless you want to show it off. Instead do a putter fitting and get fitted for the best putter for you.

putters normally are 35" with 71 degree off the shelf.
Get fitted by a professional and forget the high dollar Scotty which is nothing more than a ping with pricy material.
ddub96
AG
Edel makes incredible putters and totally custom. Worth the investment.
aggiedent
AG
Don't buy a brand. Buy a putter you love. Doesn't matter what the brand is. Then, as previously suggested, get fitted for it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Scotty 4 life
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I would recommend starting by going to the golf shop for an hour or two and trying all different head shapes and hosel offsets. Notice how tendencies change regarding speed and where putts miss based on hosel offset or head shape. See if there is anything specific you prefer (head shape, alignment aides etc)
Take this info with you to a club fitter with SamLab putter fitting and let them evaluate you. Those specs can be used to purchase a putter that should fit your current stroke.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Quinn
AG
I love my Evnroll ER2. I think you should get the putter you really want. If that's a Scotty, get a Scotty.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm about to buy a new putter as well and am interested in the evnroll. Can you actually tell a difference from your past putters? I have a coworker who swears that his evnroll straightens out off center hits.

I've been fitted for irons but never for a putter. Any recommendations for putter fitting in dfw?

Also, what's the best way to decide between a mallet and a blade if you don't get fitted? I've a smallish mallet for a long time and am intrigued by trying out a blade.
Seriously77
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm about to buy a new putter as well and am interested in the evnroll. Can you actually tell a difference from your past putters? I have a coworker who swears that his evnroll straightens out off center hits.

I've been fitted for irons but never for a putter. Any recommendations for putter fitting in dfw?

Also, what's the best way to decide between a mallet and a blade if you don't get fitted? I've a smallish mallet for a long time and am intrigued by trying out a blade.
balance the putter on your index finger or hand , if the toe points down, it is designed for the arc type putter. If the toe doesn't point down, more of a straight back straight thru type stroke. Hope that makes sense.

Icecream_Ag
S
Quinn said:

I love my Evnroll ER2. I think you should get the putter you really want. If that's a Scotty, get a Scotty.
just don't let bond paint your putter
AggieDruggist89
AG
Put sugar down the shaft...
Mr.Bond
AG
My putter is awesome
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

My putter is awesome
and your previous ones???
jonj101
I putt with a Giannini. Similar price point as Scotty, but way less popular. In the putting world the guy is kind of a godfather/elder statesman (I think he was the one that trained Bettanardi).

The determining factor for this putter for me versus a Scotty was the feeling of substantial weight as well as pure butter in those strokes that contacted the sweet spot. Many putters give sweet spot feedback, but some just feel so much better than others. I agree with the previous poster that putting is very personal, and you need to get your hands on one to roll a few even if its highly recommended.
Mr.Bond
AG
Your mom.......

Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

Your mom.......

way to be BOLD. keep holding that line.
Mr.Bond
AG
I wish we had a middle finger emoji

Seriously77
Unlike the power grip, you should hold your putter with a firm grip to prevent the micro twisting of the putter blade at contact.
This in itself should stop all this nonsense of changing putters so frequently.

I need to stop throwing pearls to swines.
Icecream_Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

I wish we had a middle finger emoji
my job is done
dc509
AG
If there's a PGA superstore near you go spent sometime there on a Saturday trying various putters. When I bought a new one I spent about 2 hours trying them out. I settle on a Scotty Newport 2. 33 inches.
flogmat
AG
I feel particularly qualified to give my opinion here. I'm a putter sucker. I swear I've owned everything in the world. I recently had a custom Kingston made, and I've never seen anything so beautiful. The only caveat is that you have to want an Anser style blade head, but these are great. He will custom make to your specs and customize the finish, paint, stamps, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/kingstonputters/?hl=en
MarkPro
Saw a short video at Traditions, and rolled a few putts on the practice green with one of these. Supposed to be the next great innovation in putters.

I'll look into them a little deeper this weekend, but from what I hear they run about $425

https://www.directedforce.com/Articles.asp?ID=256
DannyDuberstein
AG
I have never been inclined to buy expensive putters, but I bought an EVNROLL 1.2 last spring and spent the past 10 months putting better than I have in my life. It just fits me - I see the line well, release it well, and I feel the weight perfectly to really judge good pace. But I agree with the post above - it's very much a personal choice and fit. Doesnt take $300. It just did for me.
mavsfan4ever
AG
MarkPro said:

Saw a short video at Traditions, and rolled a few putts on the practice green with one of these. Supposed to be the next great innovation in putters.

I'll look into them a little deeper this weekend, but from what I hear they run about $425

Interesting
CapCity12thMan
AG
Get fitted for specs, then find one that fits those specs, feels good to you and looks good to you. Who cares what the brand is if all three of those conditions are met.
Seriously77
mavsfan4ever said:

MarkPro said:

Interesting
Not really,

like I stated, grim firmly on the putter handle.

Also, with locked wrist, swing the handle straight back and fell like the head of the putter is staying in place (its not of course), which will keep your wrist angles intact on the backswing. This will keep your putter head lined square to your target.

Straight back and thru...only way to put
1 to 2 ratio
(example)
1 ft. back, 2 ft. follow thru

More pearls for masses
garym2001
AG
If you are in the Houston area, go to the Piretti shop up in Spring. They can custom fit you for the best putter for you and you can customize it how you want it. Great quality putters.

pirettigolf.com
Golf1
AG
If you're not looking to spend $350+ on a putter, then I would recommend looking into the new ping line of putters. They have a new line that allows you to change the height of your putter which i find to be pretty cool.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Went to the pga superstore and tried out everything today. I didn't care for the Scotty Camerons for some reason. I narrowed it down to the bettinardi studio stock, bettinardi studio stock 2, and the evnroll blade putters, and the odyssey stroke lab. I think the bettinardi and odyssey were my favorites. Ended up going with the bettinardi studio stock 2.

Hopefully I can last a few rounds before I want to throw it in the water.
ukbb2003
Anyone tried the Bloodline putter that John Smoltz uses?
Mr.Bond
AG
Are those the ones that stand up by themselves

mavsfan4ever
AG
I wanted to try the stand up putter out (don't think I'd get it but was interested to try it). I didn't see it at the superstore. Not sure if they didn't have them or if I just overlooked them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.