*****FIGJAM VS WAFFLE HOUSE*******

6,112 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dumb way to finish. They should keep playing golf.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Old Tom Morris
aginlakeway said:

Tomorrow? Its dark
FTAco07
AG
This finish feels like it's been determined from the start. Lots of stroke shaving to make sure we got to this point under the lights with the cash stacked right by the tee.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Old Tom Morris
LOL. Tiger hits some dude
aginlakeway
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

aginlakeway said:

Tomorrow? Its dark

Should have started earlier. Not my event.

But they should be playing golf. But shooting free throws.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Boo Weekley
Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty freakin badass? I did not think it would be this close.
The D
AG
Tiger missing greens from 90 yards
Old Tom Morris
The Shadow Creek greenskeeper is hoping this doesnt go on much longer while his practice green gets mangled
Post removed:
by user
Old Tom Morris
LOL. Phil trying to make sure par doesn't win a 93 yard hole
Post removed:
by user
The D
AG
This is some bad golf
Old Tom Morris
Pretty brutal. I thought "silly season" was a thing of the past, but it returned today. This is partly why the Skins died. Betting on 2-4 guys to be sharp in what is still somewhat of an offseason is tough.
Boo Weekley
The D said:

This is some bad golf

Exciting when both guys are equally bad though. But I'm a 13hcp.
1990AG
AG
I've wasted $20 on worse things!

Ag_07
AG
Everything was good except the golf. They both played not to lose.

And I'm not convinced it wasn't setup to go into extras.

But I'm not mad for paying for it.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
IMO neither tanked nor played to protect. IMO Phil played ver his head and Tiger played "meh"

But I think both played to win

I didn't waste any time trying to get it for free, I signed up at 9-10am this morning after my dumb a** figured out that Prime Video would not offer for free as had been speculated on the intertron

I had 16 peeps at my house. Twelve "play" golf (*some are women so consider that) and we ended up having the match playing on three screens

TBH we all enjoyed this post-turkey day Friday afternoon diversion. Perhaps for many of us we needed an excuse for Patron shots with our martinis?

It was the first ever PPV golf event. $20? (One round cocktails for 2 just about anywhere) Two of the most popular players in the last 20 years. 4 months to decide if you wanted to participate. New course to check out for most of us.

AG
ETA: We all know these guys could talk trash with the best of anybody

Freaking politically correct bunch has pretty much removed that forever. Buncha crap. Yeah, I said it. Bull***** I said it. Innocent ball-breaking is gone forever for fear of saying something that could be misconstrued to one of them losing $10mm in sponsorships

JMO
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

ETA: We all know these guys could talk trash with the best of anybody

Freaking politically correct bunch has pretty much removed that forever. Buncha crap. Yeah, I said it. Bull***** I said it. Innocent ball-breaking is gone forever for fear of saying something that could be misconstrued to one of them losing $10mm in sponsorships

JMO

Yep, if the SJW's heard what I call myself when I miss a 3ft putt for bogie they'd scream at the sky and go rent a therapy dog.
_lefraud_
AG
Hole #1 was awesome, and then it was pretty meh until Tiger chipped in on #17. From there it was awesome TV, just some pretty meh golf all around. Neither one could make a putt.

Having said that, I thought it was awesome. Just imagine what could have been. I mean, if they could somehow play Augusta in an event like this?! Now THAT would be PPV TV for sure.

I'm not sure we will get a rematch, but I could see this evolving to a yearly thing. Maybe Spieth vs Thomas next year?
FTAco07
AG
They should ppv SB2k19 with Spieth, Thomas, Rickie, and Smylie. Might be Smylie's only paycheck all year.
AustinCountyAg
I'd like to see a scramble format. Tiger/Phil vs Rickie/Spieth or something like that..... but with THEIR personal money on the line
Old Tom Morris
I'd like to see them try again with other golfers on free TV, although this one seems to mostly be getting chalked up as a failure. Do not include Tiger; he's awful in the mic'd up format. Kuchar is a world class trash talker. He'd be great for this.

The good:
- the challenge format added an interesting element that did not exist in the annual prime time match-ups 15 years ago, although I thought most of them ended up a bit generic and tame. And as the match approached finish, they seemed to back off on doing them. Phil was having to drive the bus on these things, at one point even having to prompt Tiger to offer one up.
- Barkley was funny
- always cool to see these two old-timers play

The bad:
- the banter. Phil was trying for a while, but Tiger offered absolutely nothing and Phil eventually got tired of trying. Phil even admitted to throwing in the towel on that on the back. I actually think the high stakes played a role in killing part of this.
- the golf itself. Pretty rough. The course was set up for a a birdie-fest, tons of short holes and pins put in spots where the ball should funnel to them. Very few birdies got made, and Phil won 3 of his 4 holes in regulation with par
- hokey pitch-and-putt finish. Took them 6 attempts on a 93 yard hole to produce 1 birdie.
oldschool87
AG
I liked it... for the most part.

Phil out played Tiger greatly, was not really close.

And here is my point... They had to play golf like normal people.
  • Yes they played a few practice rounds
  • But neither had ever played this course before
  • They were not 100% comfortable in there shots, as they more than likely had not hit more than 1 from where they were at, that pin position or that distance
  • They clearly did not have a feel for the greens like they do at every single course they play.
  • You think Phil and Tiger don't know which way or how much a putt breaks at Augusta? They know every single inch of every green!
  • they were missing 10 foot putts by feet!!!!

They had to play regular Golf like the rest of us. They were not comfortable on those greens at all, as they did not know where they were going like they normally do.

From that aspect I thought it was great, but it let Tiger hang around. Phil makes 1 or 2 putts and he is 3 or 4 up with 6 to play...

I also thought it really sucked that HBO did not pimp out the Golf Channel or NBC's announcers. Would have been entertaining as crap to listen to McCord and Feherty for 3+ hours. But the crew on HBO was horrific in there best moment!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
nm
tamu2009
AG
Anyone seen a refund yet? It's all over the web that everyone should be getting a refund that paid, but what's the over/under on seeing it 3 weeks?

Or is it going to be you have to ask for it.
Old Tom Morris
Given we already pay in some way to see sports content, I'm glad to see the PPV aspect of this event fail miserably. While it does give the opportunity to cash in, I think the PPV model is harmful to the interest in a sport and don't want to see more events go that way.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
tamu2009 said:

Anyone seen a refund yet? It's all over the web that everyone should be getting a refund that paid, but what's the over/under on seeing it 3 weeks?

Or is it going to be you have to ask for it.
I've read that it will be automatically applied to your account as a credit but it depends on your provider.
dallasiteinsa02
I wish the format would have been Wolf or something equivalent. Making it similar to betting games that golfers play.
ColoradoMooseHerd
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I wish the format would have been Wolf or something equivalent. Making it similar to betting games that golfers play.
I would actually like to see this. I think this would make it a lot more fun.
jonj101
I think the problem with Wolf or games such as that is that the general audience would be lost. Tiger brings in all types of casual observers (and unfortunately their uninformed opinions) into viewing the events.

Most of them probably wouldn't know the difference between scramble and best ball, let alone Wolf, greenies, rabbits, etc
DannyDuberstein
AG
So this match will return for the next 2 years, although next year will likely be a team format (this thing as basically turned into the early 2000's prime time battles). Hopefully they'll just ditch the PPV aspect next time

http://www.golfwrx.com/538304/tiger-woods-phil-mickelson-match-set-to-return-in-2019-and-2020/

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.