Course recommendation Plano/frisco?

1,642 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oldschool87
CBarrett12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to be staying next weekend in the Frisco/Plano area with a chance for golf Saturday morning. Any rec's on a must play course? I played Tour 18 back in high school and remember it being a neat track so thought about that one. I've also played stonebriar before. The Tribute looks pretty solid online? TIA
Chipotlemonger
AG
Stay away from the Trails at Frisco. Unless they've changed it in recent years, it's a tricked up course that just wasn't the most rewarding from a golf perspective.*

*I played it once a few years ago, so who knows if it's different now.
Rubble
AG
Tour 18 is garbage, and it's 45 minutes from Frisco/Plano. It's never in good shape.

The Tribute and Old American are really good courses.
skippytimmy
AG
Tribute and old American are great. The Fazio course at stonebriar is a good track too.
tamu2009
AG
You won't go wrong with the tribute or old American. Both are consistently in good shape and with all the rain we've gotten recently I'd expect them to be in great to excellent shape right now.
schwabbin
AG
Pecan Hollow and Westridge are my two favorite public courses up that way. Tribute if you're ok dropping some cash on the weekend.
jj9000
AG
schwabbin said:

Pecan Hollow and Westridge are my two favorite public courses up that way. Tribute if you're ok dropping some cash on the weekend.
Pecan Hollow = best greens in DFW.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Tribute, Frisco Lakes.

Pecan Hollow has great greens, but a weekend round there tends to be super slow.
TXAGGIES
Ridgeview Ranch?
AggieC07
AG
I vote for Pecan Hollow too.

I like Westridge because its a unique layout (6 par 4s, 6 par 3s, and 6 par 5s).

Coyote Ridge is not in Plano/Frisco but relatively close and I would recommend that track as well.
khaos288
AG
Westridge is my home course. It's in overall good shape but has a few patches of green under repair on two different greens. If you can get on their email list you can play for a good rate. Then just unsubscribe.

I've heard tribute and old American were great. Ridgeview was in good shape last Saturday, and that's one of the better layouts in the area (lots of elevation change on holes and greens)
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ridgeview was my favorite all around course when I lived in the area. Very fun layout.
AggieC07
AG
Isn't Old American pretty pricey? I've seen some deals on Golf Now for under $80 (not regularly).

I'm assuming its worth the price of admissions from the recs. I think they hold a LPGA tourney there too.
schwabbin
AG
AggieC07 said:

I vote for Pecan Hollow too.

I like Westridge because its a unique layout (6 par 4s, 6 par 3s, and 6 par 5s).

Coyote Ridge is not in Plano/Frisco but relatively close and I would recommend that track as well.

Coyote ridge is fun but has some tricky shots and can be tough imo
bcanales05
AG
Honestly, you will be playing a lot of cart path only golf depending on the drainage situation at those courses. We've been slammed all week with rain and it won't stop until Friday.

Pecan Hollow is a great course and great layout, but the drainage there is not good due to the Rowlett creek that winds through it. If it floods, the course is toast. It has been closed since Sunday due to flooding.

I would definitely recommend Pecan Hollow if playable. I agree with Frisco Lakes, Ridgeview Ranch and The Tribute, but not a big fan of Westridge due to it can be pretty slow as well. I'm not sure of your golf game, but Heritage Ranch is also really good challenging course. That's in Fairview east of Allen.

Course at Watters Creek is right off of 75 in Allen and challenging as well. I also like Twin Creeks. It is getting better, but can be slow as well. Watch out for the Coyotes.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, there's a chance Pecan Hollow may not even be open this weekend unless we get some decent dry out time. It drains better than it did back before the renovation, but that area is super low. It's always the first to close in heavy rains.

Given the weather this week, Ridgeview may be your best bet. It seems to drain the best of the courses up this way.
SweaterVest
AG
I played Old American a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I think it was ~$100 and compares favorably to other courses I've played in that range. They also have a couple of halfway houses with free water/Gatorade/snacks, which was a nice perk:
AggieC07
AG
Nice so prob similar to Cowboys (I've seen some coupons for around $100).

Is it links style?
skippytimmy
AG
AggieC07 said:

Nice so prob similar to Cowboys (I've seen some coupons for around $100).

Is it links style?
Tribute is links, Old American is not.

Tribute is easy, Old American is not.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Played coyote ridge today and it was in good shape other than being a little damp. However, that's to be expected.

We tee'd off around 1 and they cut the rate to $48 which is a steal.
oldschool87
AG
The trails is tricked up???

Sounds like it was a little to much golf course. You play the trails well, you can play any course, it goes thru your whole bag! Its in pristine condition also.

#2 is a royal pain in the a$$, but its not hard if you hit good shots.

Not sure about the tricked up part.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.