Any love for old Ping Putters?

10,518 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like Anser, Anser 2, Pal, A blade, B60, Zing.

I don't see very many golfers using it. Do we really need putters with inserts, milled face, mallets with high MOI?

I just picked up 8 old putters including 4 Acushnet Bullseye putter on ebay for $55. Will refinish them.
jj9000
AG
I like the old school BeCu Ansers.

Part of the reason we don't see as many in play is because the headweights of those old putters are so light.

If I remember correctly, they are around 310-320 gram headweight range.

Greens are much faster now than they were back in the 60s-70s, and a general rule of thumb is the faster the green, the heavier the putter head (and vice-versa).

Everyone is different though.
powerbelly
AG
I still have a remake of the scottsdale anser in my rotation. I love that putter, but I also like lighter headweights.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

I like the old school BeCu Ansers.

Part of the reason we don't see as many in play is because the headweights of those old putters are so light.

If I remember correctly, they are around 310-320 gram headweight range.

Greens are much faster now than they were back in the 60s-70s, and a general rule of thumb is the faster the green, the heavier the putter head (and vice-versa).

Everyone is different though.

Have you tried sugar down the shaft?
Ragoo
AG
I liked my Anser 2. I always wanted an Anser 6.
BigHitterDaLama
Currently playing an anser 4 flow neck. Great putter
jj9000
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

nickel
My first putter was an Anser 2. Still have it, though a couple inches cut off and it's in my wife's bag.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

Looks to be BeCu
AgfromHOU
AG
I found an early 1990's ping putter awhile back but I have it to my brother in law because it was a right handed putter and I'm a lefty
Funky Winkerbean
AG
My best golf was played with a Bullseye and Anser 2.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
EMY92
AG
I bought a set of Tommy Armour 845s in the mid 90s. I had to go to Dallas to find them.

I drove home, near Waco, I stopped at a driving range near my house to try out my new clubs.

I cut open the Tommy Armour factory seal on the box and reach in. I pull out the first club and it's a Ping putter. At this point, I'm confused. I grab a second club, another Ping putter. Now I'm really confused and open up the entire box. The 845s were all there. I still have no idea how I got 2 Ping putters in a box of 845s. The box was fully taped with the Tommy Armour tape.

I no longer use the 845s, but I do still use one of those putters.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Troutslime said:

I just got 4 of these from ebay. Surprising easy to line up and putt with.

stick93
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I found an early 1990's ping putter awhile back but I have it to my brother in law because it was a right handed putter and I'm a lefty

I have a similar one in left I'll send ya for whatever it costs to ship it. I'm in Austin.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Troutslime said:

I just got 4 of these from ebay. Surprising easy to line up and putt with.

raidernarizona
I have a circa 1990 Anser 5 that I've considered regripping and trying out.
Old Tom Morris
I have a TR Anser 5. Putt pretty well with it, but it got displaced in May by the Evnroll 1.2 and my putting this summer was the best it's ever been.
AggieDruggist89
AG
So 4 of these Bullseyes came in a box of 8 vtg putters. It's amazing they all feel different and putt differently. The dark one actually rolls the ball best for me. Buddy dared me to use it this weekend claiming I will have 40 putts.

I'm on a mission to prove some of the old equipments can still be used to play good golf.

Product life cycle of golf industry has gone crazy IMO. New stuff every 6 months to peel away your money in a promise to hit it further, closer to the hole and make more putts.

Except for a few key innovations in the past 50 years such as perimeter weighing, graphite shaft, titanium head, and ball technology, I tend to think new isn't always better.

My wedges Ping Eye II are 30 years old, my Mizuno Tzoid Sure irons albeit with modern lofts are 20 years old yet has sensicore inserts. My Cobra hybrids are over 10 years old and Ping Pal 2 is in the bag.

New stuff in my bag are SLDR driver and 3 wd with custom shaft and the 3wd is about to get the boot.

Goal is to get to a plus handicap by summer of 2020 and the current index is 4. And I picked up golf again this June after playing 15 years of binge golf where I played 1 to 2 outings per year.

And I want to do it with cheap ass used old golf clubs from ebay.

AggieDruggist89
AG
raidernarizona said:

I have a circa 1990 Anser 5 that I've considered regripping and trying out.

If it's too light, try packing the shaft with Sugar. I know we are now making a joke of it because of my post from 3 weeks ago, but it really adds the weight nicely.
jj9000
AG
I wouldn't bet with your buddy on the over/under of putts with that Bullseye.

Those putters have a very small (if not the smallest) sweet spot. Think "green pea" sized.

In other words, you'd better have a rock solid and repeatable putting stroke, or else you might be paying up.

Heel/Toe weighted blades (even those old Ansers)..and mallets have a much larger sweet spot.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've got a Ping B60 circa. 1995 that I've been using for 18-20 years. I love it and hope to use it for the rest of my playing days.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Nothing like hitting a 90 compression balata with a bullseye.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
BigHitterDaLama
I think putters are the one piece of gear where older stuff is still as good as new gear. Like already said, weight changing and stuff is key but if you've got a great putting stroke, you can put with basically anything.
raidernarizona
Druggist,

Do you use the paint pens. I'm looking at the Pro Line Pens on TheGolfWorks. Would like to strip this Anser 5 and refill the alignment line. I'd like to get one to refill the grooves on my wedges and irons too.
samwise1723
AG
Ping zing 2. First and only putter I have ever owned. Handed down from my father when learning the game.
gravy97
AG
I had a phase of using various Scotty Camerons... but now have found my way back to an old Golfsmith Texas Wedge #20 and am putting better than ever.

AggieDruggist89
AG
raidernarizona said:

Druggist,

Do you use the paint pens. I'm looking at the Pro Line Pens on TheGolfWorks. Would like to strip this Anser 5 and refill the alignment line. I'd like to get one to refill the grooves on my wedges and irons too.

Not yet. But I may one day.
AgfromHOU
AG
I appreciate it, but I'm in love with my TaylorMade putter that I picked up not long after that. I hope it can help someone else out, though!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Will fill the shaft with Sugar.

the dude10
AG
Still playing my ping G5i B60. I have thought a few times that I wanted to get a Scotty, but just can't pull the trigger as the ping has given me no reason to give up on it yet.
Seriously77
Every club talked about on this thread I have owned. The 845s irons along with the Bertha Driver was my club of choice in the 90s along with a Wilson 8802 Blade putter.

My goodness I am old.

The Bulleyes was used by one of my favorite players, Corey Pavin. He could really nail those putts. My old Bulleye's putter sleeps with the fishes in a pond at Bayou Oaks in south La.

The very first time I touched a ping putter was in early 80's, they cost like $45, which was way to steep for me back then but they were the cat's meow.

BigHitterDaLama
Seriously77 said:

Every club talked about on this thread I have owned. The 845s irons along with the Bertha Driver was my club of choice in the 90s along with a Wilson 8802 Blade putter.

My goodness I am old.

The Bulleyes was used by one of my favorite players, Corey Pavin. He could really nail those putts. My old Bulleye's putter sleeps with the fishes in a pond at Bayou Oaks in south La.

The very first time I touched a ping putter was in early 80's, they cost like $45, which was way to steep for me back then but they were the cat's meow.

Welcome to the great post thread. Enjoyed that response....and I too think of pavin when I see bullseye putters
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.