Golf Divot Tools - can I please get some feedback

5,525 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by raidernarizona
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A year or so ago I began handling knife blanks but recently I thought I'd try some divot tools. Here are the first few I've done.

I wanted to approach a neat boutique here locally that has a "men's section" to see if they would be interested in selling them. As a golfer, is this something you would buy as a gift or for yourself and what do you feel a fair price would be?

The only others I see online are made by a knifemaker in TN and he wants $150. They are beautiful but that's outrageous. I can use all sorts of exotic woods, composites, and colored liners. I even thought it would be cool to do some university color liners (ex. maroon & white, red & black, purple & white). Appreciate the feedback!

L to R: Lacewood and Spalted Tamarind, Fantasy Marble Composite, Bubinga with Red G10 liner (looks maroon next to wood)

jj9000
AG
They look really good.

However...your competition is a wooden tee...or a switchblade like divot tool with a built-in magnetic ball marker.
HouAggie
AG
Those are cool, but for me it's the size. Too big for me to want to carrry that around in my pocket all round.
Unemployed
AG
HouAggie said:

Those are cool, but for me it's the size. Too big for me to want to carrry that around in my pocket all round.
Ditto.
07fta07
AG
Agree with above. They look very nice, but I wouldn't use them due to the thickness.
raidernarizona
Appreciate the comments guys. I figured I'd include one photo for scale. They really aren't that big, but I understand what y'all are saying as I prefer to empty my pockets for the most part when I'm on the course.

Pabby
AG
That last pic definitely helps to see how big they are, looked a lot bigger in the first couple of pics. I think I would use it, and would probably pay $15-$20 for it.
powerbelly
AG
Reducing the scale thickness by half or more would make it easier to carry imo.
aggiedent
AG
To me it doesn't look like the handle is any thicker than the head of the tee. Love the Lacewood and Spalted Tamarind. I think I'd use one depending on price.
raidernarizona
powerbelly51 said:

Reducing the scale thickness by half or more would make it easier to carry imo.
I have been using knife scales that are typically 1/4". I think I will use 1/8" thin stock with the next ones.

Quote:

That last pic definitely helps to see how big they are, looked a lot bigger in the first couple of pics. I think I would use it, and would probably pay $15-$20 for it.

Unfortunately, the blanks cost me $8 + shipping each and I can only find one supplier. Then I have the pin stock, handle material, plus my time. Don't think I'll be able to get my costs down that much.
hoya-ag
AG
Those are cool. I bet nice country clubs would buy them if you can put their logo on them. Could probably charge $30-50 I would think.
hoya-ag
AG
Also, I agree that thinner would be better.
jgh85Ag
AG
If you could incorporate a ball marker into the handle, that would be a plus. Also a clip.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I wouldn't use one because a tee works just fine, and when playing golf, I don't like to have anything unnecessary in my pockets. Especially when it's something that might puncture my ballsack when the latest swing change I've implemented starts resembling an interpretive dance.

But I do think some would buy them.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I think you would want an option to clip onto belt or hat, as I am with a lot here - don't want bulk in my pockets. Plus, having nice stuff like that you want to show off, not keep it buried in your pocket.
raidernarizona
Quote:

I don't like to have anything unnecessary in my pockets. Especially when it's something that might puncture my ballsack when the latest swing change I've implemented starts resembling an interpretive dance.

Lolz! Thanks for the laugh!

I'm not sure how I would incorporate a clip. There's a knifmaker here in town that has made a sheath for me before. I thought about having him make me a tiny leather sheath for one of these. Mostly as a goofy novelty item.

In reality, I don't hit enough greens to justify carrying anything other than a cheap tee myself
Hanrahan
AG
They look very nice. However, I spend an inordinate amount of money on golf and play with many people that do as well, and I've never, ever, seen an actual divot tool in use. Putter head and golf tee get the job done. Hell we have free ones on the first tee and I've never seen anyone take or use one. I think I put one in my bag and used it to scratch my foot once without taking my shoe off.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
jgh85Ag said:

If you could incorporate a ball marker into the handle, that would be a plus. Also a clip.
Agree with this. Also, personalized engraving/burning would be a plus.
Mr.Verlander
I use my scotty Cameron one that "clips" on my pocket every round. Along with my 1988 JFK coin in the shape of a shamrock for my ball mark.

Keep up the good work, looks unique
That's why Roger Podacter is dead! He found Captain Winkie!
79TAMU79
AG
It looks like it would make a great gift for a Bachelor's Party golf outing if you could add some engraving like names and dates.
agsalaska
AG
Hanrahan said:

They look very nice. However, I spend an inordinate amount of money on golf and play with many people that do as well, and I've never, ever, seen an actual divot tool in use. Putter head and golf tee get the job done. Hell we have free ones on the first tee and I've never seen anyone take or use one. I think I put one in my bag and used it to scratch my foot once without taking my shoe off.
Absolutely. I never use them anymore. I used them a little bit on some real soft greens I used to play but its been years. They encourage people to pull up on the roots which just makes a kill spot.

That being said, those are really cool and would be a really good gift to someone who takes golf seriously. If I got one I would never use it. I know some guys that probably would though.
raidernarizona
I took the advice and went back and made them with a slightly thinner profile and knocked out a few more. Boutique in town here is going to sell them. Appreciate the input. We'll see what happens.

DannyDuberstein
AG
sharp
jj9000
AG
How much are you selling them for?
raidernarizona
jj9000 said:

How much are you selling them for?
I think I'm going to start in the $35-40 range, but let me know if you'd like one. I'd be happy to do a TA's discount.
1208HawkTree
AG
I think if you go with the wood handle, it still needs to be thinner, and also you should consider tapering the sharp edges. I personally can't stand when crap gets hung up in my pocket when looking for a tee/coin/etc., especially with the shorts that have the small "pocket within a pocket." I carry a simple single prong repair tool because I tend to break tees when I use them to fix ball marks, and would hesitate to go to something like this, even though they look nice.
Mr.Bond
Ag_07
AG
I think these look awesome. Very nice

And to me size doesn't matter so much as I keep my tool in the small pocket of my bag and just grab it when I hit a GIR and know that I'll be needing it.

I think would make great Christmas or groomsmen gifts. Nice job! How would us out of towners go about getting one?
raidernarizona
Thanks alot 07! I'd be happy to mail it to you. If you let me know what look you like, I can make you one.
You can email me at nathanhenry81 at gmail
XpressAg09
AG
You got any way to incorporate turquoise into cracked wood?
raidernarizona
I've never worked with any epoxy inlays. I'd love to as I really enjoy the look, but it isn't something I've learned to do yet.
Flash02
I'd buy one or two.
raidernarizona
Hey Flash, just shoot me an email. Email's listed above. Thanks!
bdgol07
AG
raidernarizona said:

I've never worked with any epoxy inlays. I'd love to as I really enjoy the look, but it isn't something I've learned to do yet.
Hit up agrams on the Outdoor Board for tips. He does it regularly for humidors and watch boxes
raidernarizona
A few more...

Thanks alot to all who have made orders. I'm getting them out as quickly as I can without rushing them and sending off something I'm not happy with..

The Aggie Tool

A few for a die hard Astros fan

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.