Shortening the Driver Shaft

3,582 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irish pete ag06
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone did this? Lots of info out there about this and the fact that many modern day drivers are way longer than they used to be to get that much desired extra yardage, makes me wonder if it's not a good move for some people.
jj9000
AG
Buy a bottle of foot spray.

Take your current driver to the range and spray the face with foot spray.

Take 10 swings at normal playing length...and check the face to see where the shot pattern is.

Then spray the face again and choke down 1/2" - 1" and take 10 more swings.

If you're making center contact...either leave the shaft alone or butt cut it. But, remember that for every 1/2" inch you cut from the butt...you'll need to add 6 grams back to the head for the club to 'feel' the same.
irish pete ag06
AG
jj9000 said:

Buy a bottle of foot spray.

Take your current driver to the range and spray the face with foot spray.

Take 10 swings at normal playing length...and check the face to see where the shot pattern is.

Then spray the face again and choke down 1/2" - 1" and take 10 more swings.

If you're making center contact...either leave the shaft alone or butt cut it. But, remember that for every 1/2" inch you cut from the butt...you'll need to add 6 grams back to the head for the club to 'feel' the same.

Yeah I read about having to compensate for the weight. Thanks for the idea about the foot spray.
tandy miller
AG
I had 2" taken off my driver about a month ago. Lost maybe 5 yards, but have become much much MUCH straighter.
irish pete ag06
AG
tandy miller said:

I had 2" taken off my driver about a month ago. Lost maybe 5 yards, but have become much much MUCH straighter.

Did you adjust the weight at your clubhead at all?
JarAG2007
AG
My driver is a 1/2" shorter also. I ordered on callawaypreowned and they give you the custom options which i took advantage of.

I also lost some driving distance but i feel more accurate with this driver. Although i have developed a pull swing lately.
tandy miller
AG
Yes.
ORAggieFan
I took an inch off. No adjustment on weight, I barely notice a difference. Fell more accurate and haven't noticed any significant yardage loss.
irish pete ag06
AG
Sweet. I have an R1 driver so I think I'm going to buy another shaft and do this to pop in there. It will be easy to add weight to the club head with the Taylormade screw in weights.

Thanks for the input.
irish pete ag06
AG
ORAggieFan said:

I took an inch off. No adjustment on weight, I barely notice a difference. Fell more accurate and haven't noticed any significant yardage loss.
I feel like I rarely hit one on the screws, so if I can increase the likelihood of that happening, I could see my driving average not dipping or actually going up.
tandy miller
AG
Exactly what I used. I took the stock weight out, weighed it, and ordered a weight off the bay that was ~20 grams heavier. So im still a few grams light, but much better than not adding at all
White Liberals=The Worst
My buddy put his 3-wood shaft in his driver and is now hitting it much better. He may have lost a few yards distance wise, but he is much more accurate and has fewer balls balloon off into the woods one way or the other.
powerbelly
AG
tandy miller said:

I did the same. I did not adjust the weight.
Oso96
AG
I cut my TM M1 down an inch and put a lighter grip on it. It came out to a D1 swing weight. I then started adding lead tape to the bottom until I found the weight and flight that I liked. I may have lost a bit of distance but 265-270 down the middle is better than the trees or OB.
Aggie369
AG
That white foot spray is great for this
Aggie369
AG
I did this and lost about 12 yards but i do hit it straighter.

I average 255-260 carry now. I hit the m1 vs my old big bertha and carried the m1 10-12 yards longer and a couple times i carried it 20-22 yards longer but my miss was just terrible with the m1...not worth it for now
irish pete ag06
AG
Could I slap this on my driver? It weighs 5 grams more than my old shaft, which would help a tad with the weight issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-R15-M1-M2-SLDR-Fujikura-Pro-70-Stiff-Graphite-LH-3-Wood-Shaft-New/362017851923?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D7e0bdfa37083464da88c897712d5199c%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D263056224794
jj9000
AG
You'll still need to add weight to the head...5 gm shaft difference is negligible.

Add 1.75" to the shaft + adapter measurement to get playing length...to account for BBTG.
irish pete ag06
AG
Does this seem like a pretty good rule of thumb?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/44071-swing-weight-factors-in-relation-to-parts/

Quote:

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point
jj9000
AG
Yes...and the high-density lead tape from GolfWorks or DSG weighs 1 gram per inch.

https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/HDLT/
irish pete ag06
AG
Yeah, I was just planning on buying some screw in Taylormade weights to put on my driver head.

I've never messed with lead tape? Where's the best place to stick it?
jj9000
AG
The marketing folks will tell you that couple of grams added to the sole of the toe side will encourage a fade...or a couple of grams added to the sole side of the heel will encourage a draw.

To really affect ballflight you'd have to add over 25 grams to the extreme toe or extreme heel.

Short answer = Put it on the sole...and in a place that it will stay on.
irish pete ag06
AG
jj9000 said:

The marketing folks will tell you that couple of grams added to the sole of the toe side will encourage a fade...or a couple of grams added to the sole side of the heel will encourage a draw.

To really affect ballflight you'd have to add over 25 grams to the extreme toe or extreme heel.

Short answer = Put it on the sole...and in a place that it will stay on.
Awesome. Thank you very much for all this info!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I just choke down 1 inch
irish pete ag06
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I just choke down 1 inch

Just doesn't feel comfortable to me. I like having my bottom hand right at the end.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I just choke down 1 inch

Just doesn't feel comfortable to me. I like having my bottom hand right at the end.

I agree with that, I installed the mcc +4 grips. So as I choke up an inch or more the grip feels similar to being on the end of the grip. Leaves me options to extend out to the end of the grip for more power or somewhere in between depending on course tightness.
1208HawkTree
AG
Two of the straightest and longest drivers I've ever had were 43 1/2 and 44 inches, and I'm 6'4". Tom Wishon wrote a book about clubfitting years ago where he addressed this in detain. Pretty much said that shortening the shaft of your driver under today's "standard" is almost always a good thing. Manufacturers went longer because the average golfer bases how well they hit their driver on the one in ten shot that they flush with a longer shaft that goes 3 yards further.
irish pete ag06
AG
1208HawkTree said:

Two of the straightest and longest drivers I've ever had were 43 1/2 and 44 inches, and I'm 6'4". Tom Wishon wrote a book about clubfitting years ago where he addressed this in detain. Pretty much said that shortening the shaft of your driver under today's "standard" is almost always a good thing. Manufacturers went longer because the average golfer bases how well they hit their driver on the one in ten shot that they flush with a longer shaft that goes 3 yards further.

Exactly!
AggieIce
AG
Cut down every club in my bag 1" from standard a few years ago after wondering why almost every pro appeared so "tall" compared to their clubs at address.

I'm 5'10 so it just seemed a normal thing to do, and the guys at the shop thought I'd lost my mind. Have played the best golf of my life since.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieIce said:

Cut down every club in my bag 1" from standard a few years ago after wondering why almost every pro appeared so "tall" compared to their clubs at address.

I'm 5'10 so it just seemed a normal thing to do, and the guys at the shop thought I'd lost my mind. Have played the best golf of my life since.

Seriously. That's awesome.

I've never had an issue with yardage. I played 10 strokes better this weekend when I hit iron off the tee every hole.

I'm looking for more fairways.
Matsui
AG
Do the clubs feel different? Did you have to add weight or anything back on?
t - cam
AG
i can't imagine an inch of shaft would be noticeable in your swing. Especially since it's coming from within your grip. But I have no clue, that just seems like the least of the concerns with this.
07fta07
AG
6 swingweight points is noticible
Aggie369
AG
An inch of a steel shaft is quite noticeable...especially in relation to how heavy the club head feels
irish pete ag06
AG
Ordered that shaft from ebay.

Went and played 9 holes this morning and choked up/down on the driver every time I swung it. All drives but 1 were in the fairway. Tracked a few to see what kind of distance loss I was seeing. It was minimal, if any.

Got home and the shaft was on my front porch. It wasn't supposed to come in until tomorrow. Now, I'm going to have to head to the range for a little bit to try it out.

This is looking like a winner for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.