Course Thoughts: The Oaks and Panther Trail/Lake Windcrest in The Woodlands

5,823 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 07fta07
Flexbone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious as to how this set of ClubCorps courses is for those that have played them. I'm a member at The Woodlands CC, and I really like it. However, I was looking for people's thoughts on this option because I have a friend that's on the fence about joining The Woodlands due to cost, and this looks like a more affordable option. As it's in The ClubCorp family, I can play these as well but just haven't. Any thoughts on these and how they compare? My expectation is that it isn't as nice, but if the "drop" isn't that substantial, I might consider joining him if he goes this way. The wife and daughter don't use the CC membership at all really, so it might make sense for me to cut the cost down if it's a good option.
UTex09
I posted this in another thread a while back, but I too am a member at the CC. If my company didn't pay for it, I would probably belong to Oaks/Panther. The monthly fee is less than half what the CC costs, and initiation was like $1k last I checked. I play Oaks/Panther once in a while with buddies who don't belong to the CC. To me, they're very well maintained (almost as well maintained as the country club), and probably the same level of "crowded", though I tend to play at peak hours.

Lake Windcrest was ok, but a step below, though it was much less crowded the two times I have played it. From a course perspective I'd say I like Player > Palmer > Oaks/Panther > TPC > Windcrest. I like Panther almost as much as Palmer, and Oaks a little less. As I said above, if I were paying the full CC dues I would probably seriously consider switching. For half the cost, the course is probably 85-90% as nice. I suggest you go try them out. I like the layout of Panther better, but it can be more crowded since it is "public" (not before noon on weekends), while Oaks is member only. I noticed that they re-did all the bunkers on the oaks/panther to use the same nice sand the country club uses last year.

I do think you'll be surprised at how close the courses are in quality for a significantly less monthly fee.
07fta07
AG
Played Panther last weekend for the first time and was really impressed. It's in good shape and it's a very good layout.
I'll be getting up to the Oaks very soon to check it out.

Unless you're looking for the exclusivity of the CC, I think it's a very good option for a good price.
Goose06
AG
Living in the woodlands (moved here last fall) the options for nearby public courses has been pretty disappointing. I'm strongly considering joining one of these (wcc or panther/oaks). I've played Panther and liked it other than it was full in the afternoon in May...
tommyjohn
Public options disappointing?

Woodforest
Augusta Pines
High Meadow Ranch
Panther Trail
Cypresswood

All within a short drive. I can't think of a better location in the city for access to public courses.

I will probably join the Golf Trail later this year. Oaks and Panther are a stones throw from my office.
tommyjohn
Also La Toretta isn't half bad if you catch a special on GolfNow. You can easily get a early afternoon time for less than $30.
Goose06
AG
tommyjohn said:

Woodforest
Augusta Pines
High Meadow Ranch
Panther Trail
Cypresswood

All within a short drive. I can't think of a better location in the city for access to public courses.

I will probably join the Golf Trail later this year. Oaks and Panther are a stones throw from my office.

Woodforest is 30 minutes from my house.

Never played Augusta pines, I'll check it out (20 minute drive)

High meadow ranch is 40 minutes away

Panther trail is not a true public course, can't play weekend mornings which is my preferred time.

Cypresswood is 30 minutes away.
jja79
AG
Where else in the area do you have that many good options within half an hour?
Goose06
AG
Maybe I'm missing something but I only see one option within a half hour
jonj101
Not trying to derail, but Woodforest had the best greens of any public course I've played in the Houston area.

Depending on traffic, if I lived in that area I would probably make that my home course.
jja79
AG
You mentioned 3 are within 30 minutes of you.
Goose06
AG
jja79 said:

You mentioned 3 are within 30 minutes of you.

I'm no English major but I define "within" in this context to be less than and only one of these courses is both public and less than 30 minutes from my house. When I was in dfw living in 3 different places I had significantly more options for golf within a 15-20 minute radius of where I lived. Not sure why we need to argue about it, but certainly if you have additional course suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Best deal in town imo is the kingwood CC. 5 different courses, restaurants, tennis, pools, splash pad for kids etc. Unfortunately it's 60 miles away from me
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jja79
AG
Sorry for considering a 30 minute drive to be within half an hour. Other than giving up the game I'm not sure what your options are.

I'm about to drive 30 or so minutes to play and I'll happily do it again tomorrow.
Goose06
AG
jja79 said:

Sorry for considering a 30 minute drive to be within half an hour. Other than giving up the game I'm not sure what your options are.

I'm about to drive 30 or so minutes to play and I'll happily do it again tomorrow.

Did you not catch the part where I said I was considering joining either panther/oaks (5 minute drive) or woodlands country club (10 minute drive)? Do you just argue to argue and not read threads?
jja79
AG
I made a comment about the number of good courses within half an hour. I didnt argue anything. You wanted to argue what constitutes half an hour or less.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
aggiedent
AG
Hell, in the Woodlands it takes 20 minutes just to circle around the mall. Total traffic cluster f@%$. 30-40 min should be no big deal.
Goose06
AG
jja79 said:

I made a comment about the number of good courses within half an hour. I didnt argue anything. You wanted to argue what constitutes half an hour or less.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

You asked what part of town had more golf options so close by like having 4 options within 40 minutes is supposed to be the best in town. You are simply wrong. Take a look at the map below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hSt9O
07fta07
AG
Why don't y'all PM each other and have your ***** fight there where we don't all have to watch it?
And to be fair he said good options. Half those pins you posted are goat tracks.
Goose06
AG
07fta07 said:

Why don't y'all PM each other and have your ***** fight there where we don't all have to watch it?
And to be fair he said good options. Half those pins you posted are goat tracks.

Can't speak to the quality of all the options as they are mostly a long ways from where I live. The point is there are limited options available to the public (good or bad) in the general vicinity of the woodlands unless you are willing to get a membership, hence the need for this thread. For some reason Jed thinks we should all be just fine tracking across the greater Houston area to get our golf fix in so he doesn't think this thread is necessary and I do.

Back to where I was hoping this discussion would go:

How difficult is it to get early tee times (7am-9am) on Saturdays at Panther/Oaks? Pace of play around these times?

Same questions for the Woodlands CC courses?

What are the practice facilities like at WCC compared to Oaks/Panther?

How do the family activities compare? Does either offer child care? Seems like one of the club Corp courses I visited in DFW had a daycare service, but I may have dreamed that.

What types of weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual activities do the men's golf associations at these courses have? I've heard the Oaks/Panther MGA has monthly tournaments.
tommyjohn
I picked up a Golfnow deal on a round at Panther Trail for $45 on the 3rd. A steal at that price.
White Liberals=The Worst
tommyjohn said:

I picked up a Golfnow deal on a round at Panther Trail for $45 on the 3rd. A steal at that price.
So is it not private? Confused
tommyjohn
Panther Trail is the only Golf Trail course with public access. Lake Windcrest and Oaks are full private.

krh
What are cc rates for panther
Poot
Panther is only private on Weekday mornings...

As far as public golf options in the relatively near vicinity, the North side is way better than most anywhere else In Houston.

07 is right, most of those pins on the golfnow website are complete crap.
Mr.Bond
AG
Northsiders are beyond spoiled with public courses..... *******s.

At least I grew up in that vicinity
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Northsiders are beyond spoiled with public courses..... *******s.

At least I grew up in that vicinity
Checking in. Will play a twilight round tomorrow at a course WITHIN 10 minutes from home.
The Milkman
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Best deal in town imo is the kingwood CC. 5 different courses, restaurants, tennis, pools, splash pad for kids etc. Unfortunately it's 60 miles away from me

What does Kingsood CC cost?
Mr.Bond
AG
Not sure but I'm sure it's more than what I was paying down here in league city for. Mag creek and south shore

07fta07
AG
The Milkman said:

Mr.Bond said:

How old are you?
AgLA06
AG
Goose06 said:

tommyjohn said:

Woodforest
Augusta Pines
High Meadow Ranch
Panther Trail
Cypresswood

Woodforest is 30 minutes from my house.

Never played Augusta pines, I'll check it out (20 minute drive)

High meadow ranch is 40 minutes away

Panther trail is not a true public course, can't play weekend mornings which is my preferred time.

Cypresswood is 30 minutes away.

I live in the middle of the city and my drive to that many courses is the same or more. It's Houston, things are spread out. If you don't live in a golf course community, you're going to drive to get a variety.
White Liberals=The Worst
I need to play Woodforest. Keep hearing nothing but good things. Heard that was KJ Choi's go-to when he was living in the Woodlands.
The Milkman
AG
07fta07 said:

The Milkman said:

Mr.Bond said:

How old are you?

07fta07
AG
Not sure what deal they're currently running, but KCC should cost you around $300-350 a month, probably with carts included for the first year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.