Any members at blackhorse or woodlands cc?

10,793 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 07fta07
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lookibg at joining somewhere and was curious as to current or former member's views/thoughts on the courses. Anything u like or don't like? Cost per month? Pay extra for carts? Etc...

Thanks!
jja79
AG
Blackhorse is a muni and Woodlands CC will probably be $35,000 initiation. What is it you're looking for in a membership?
Aggie369
AG
A course worth playing that I would get my money's worth. Good greens and good grass on the driving range....only care about the golf course and practice facilities....dont need anything else like pool, tennis, food....a gym would be a bonus
jja79
AG
What are you looking to spend? That might be a good starting point.
Aggie369
AG
Under 400 would be nice if the numbers work.

Blackhorse right now is 305 a month for unlimited range...and golf. After 11am on weekends is only stipulation. They are waiving the initiation as well....but looking at prices online I can play 3-4 times a month and go to the range 5-6 times a month and be under 300 so it doesn't make much sense
GIF Reactor
AG
There have been several discussions on this board regarding the economics of CC membership. IIRC, if you're not consolidating fees you pay for other memberships (gym, pool, tennis) and eating at the club in lieu other restaurants, it usually doesn't make sense, "numbers wise". If you want to join, I think you need to look at things you can't exactly put a price on, like making business contacts, spontaneous lessons from the pro, ability to walk on easier and play just a few holes, less crowded course that is better maintained, etc.
jja79
AG
Blackhorse isn't a CC so that probably doesn't apply.
Boo Weekley
Aggie369 said:

Under 400 would be nice if the numbers work.

Blackhorse right now is 305 a month for unlimited range...and golf. After 11am on weekends is only stipulation. They are waiving the initiation as well....but looking at prices online I can play 3-4 times a month and go to the range 5-6 times a month and be under 300 so it doesn't make much sense

If you went to the range 3-4 times per week Blackhorse might be worth it.
UTex09
Woodlands CC is current 30 or 35k initiation for full member. Monthly will run you 500-600 per mo. For your budget you are more in the range of canongate if you want something in the woodlands. Think my buddy pays closer to 200-250 a month there and the join fee was waved or reduced to like $1k. They have two nice 18s but one is public and the other has resort guests on it so it's not as exclusive

Just to add my 2 cents: I have a corp membership at the WCC. It's a great club. But, I don't pay for it myself. Would I spend 35k + 600 a month for it? I don't know. It's always in good shape but there are so many great courses around here and the WCC isn't as exclusive as it used to be. Despite having 3 courses (one of which has 3 9s) it still gets crowded at peak times.
Aggie369
AG
I thought WCC had a deal for 30 and under...maybe I'm mistaken. I have not heard of canongate...ill check it out. Thanks!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Cannon gate is a really good deal
GIF Reactor
AG
Good point. Someone above said they were presently waiving initiation fees, so I was assuming there were some sort of fees for that normally.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Aggie369 said:

A course worth playing that I would get my money's worth. Good greens and good grass on the driving range....only care about the golf course and practice facilities....dont need anything else like pool, tennis, food....a gym would be a bonus

Champions
UTex09
They probably do have a jr membership for under 30 or 35. You should definitely check. Canongate is what used to be the Woodlands CC before they build the Palmer and Player courses. It's a great deal IMO for what you pay and what you get.
Aggie369
AG
Thanks
clintaggie04
AG
I thought canongate pulled out of Houston and sold its course to club corp? I know that Mag Creek and South Shore are no longer canongate and are club corp anyway.
The Milkman
AG
Yes canongate is now club corp. Those courses are always in great shape though. If I lived in woodlands area or far south of town I'd definitely join
Blahhead
ClubCorp is awesome and they always work with you. At my club (The Hills) the junior membership applies to anyone under 39. There are usually a few options for the initiation -- 20% down and defer the rest until you reach regular membership, yearly payments, etc. Every club is a different, and you should be able to get an even better deal in Houston, as there is a lot more competition.

At the very least, have the Woodlands Country Club set you up for a round/tour or a prospective tournament. You will get free golf, booze, food and see if you like it. If you have any questions, you'll be able to have them addressed as well.

You just have to be careful with your eating and drinking. For me, the monthly fees are fine, but it's all the booze, food, events and cart fees ($20) that really add up quickly. Just giving your member number is a lot easier than even using a credit card and I am always shocked when I get my bill.
07fta07
AG
If you're under 40, ClubCorp is the best deal in town, especially with the deals they're running now. I'd look that way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.