What % of a PGA Tour player's distance is equipment?

8,738 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by shaynew1
12thMan2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think they have anything we can't get. I'm just saying the quality of the shafts in 100 M1s sitting on golfsmith shelves are going to vary a lot more than what they have (or what we can get through custom orders or ordering direct from shaft companies).
birdman
If I gave you Babe Ruth's bat and grooved a 90 mph fastball down the middle...who hits it further you or Ruth?
White Liberals=The Worst
birdman said:

If I gave you Babe Ruth's bat and grooved a 90 mph fastball down the middle...who hits it further you or Ruth?
It would be a tie. No way I could make contact on first attempt at a 90mph heater with a wooden bat. Neither one of us could hit it.
SmackDaddy
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

birdman said:

It would be a tie. No way I could make contact on first attempt at a 90mph heater with a wooden bat. Neither one of us could hit it.
Maybe it's late where I am but I found this to be really funny.
watty
AG
Stuff like this cracks me up. Their distances and, you know, their scores, are really that much better because they are really that much better at the sport than even a really really ridiculously good amateur. Just like the gap between LeBron and some guy that scored 15 ppg in D2 ball (a REALLY good basketball player) is huge to the point of laughable, the gap between a Tour player and scratch golfer who is really long at 275 is still an enormous gulf.

Those guys are the best of the best of the best. They are that much better than you. And I also find it amusing when people rave at how far pros hit their irons but claim to drive it just as far as the pros. They're longer than 99.9% of us off the tee just like with their irons.
Aggie369
AG
Nuh uh ....there HAS to be another reason....

Probably secret technology, prototype balls, lots of stretching, equipment trucks...plus the courses they play are faster
Icecream_Ag
S
Was it 2-3 years ago that kj choi walked into a golf store, bought a set of irons of the rack, and then played them that week (maybe just through the pro-am)
Aggie369
AG
Irons off the rack and irons fit to ur swing aren't going to make THAT much difference for a top 50 player in the world if the shafts are both in the same ball park. Hell I played against Rory Sabatini when he was top 30 one day and I was up by 1 after 8 playing same tees. He tells me he will play the 9th hole with my clubs (not only different clubs and shafts but I'm freaking left handed) we play from back tees....we both make 5

Shoot fowler made a hole in one with another guys wedge while in tennis shoes this year for Erie Els' foundation
White Liberals=The Worst
watty said:

Stuff like this cracks me up. Their distances and, you know, their scores, are really that much better because they are really that much better at the sport than even a really really ridiculously good amateur. Just like the gap between LeBron and some guy that scored 15 ppg in D2 ball (a REALLY good basketball player) is huge to the point of laughable, the gap between a Tour player and scratch golfer who is really long at 275 is still an enormous gulf.

Those guys are the best of the best of the best. They are that much better than you. And I also find it amusing when people rave at how far pros hit their irons but claim to drive it just as far as the pros. They're longer than 99.9% of us off the tee just like with their irons.

Lexi Thompson stroking an 8 iron 170 yds IS pretty crazy. Even with the wind.
SmackDaddy
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

watty said:

Lexi Thompson stroking an 8 iron 170 yds IS pretty crazy. Even with the wind.
Yeah I don't believe it.
watty
AG
I highly doubt that's a stock 8 iron for her, first of all.

watty
AG
The bottom line is, it's all about clubhead speed. There is a direct correlation between clubhead speed and handicap. Lexi swings as fast as Zach Johnson with a driver. She's a freak. Anyone that doesn't understand how these pros are outhitting them, well, their clubhead speed is faster. They're that much better than you. If you think you have a 120 clubhead speed yet shoot 85 or only hit your 8 iron 150, you probably don't really swing that fast. The correlation is very strong. There are exceptions of course but generally speaking, the lower your handicap, the faster your swing, the faster your swing, the lower your handicap.
White Liberals=The Worst
watty said:

The bottom line is, it's all about clubhead speed. There is a direct correlation between clubhead speed and handicap. Lexi swings as fast as Zach Johnson with a driver. She's a freak. Anyone that doesn't understand how these pros are outhitting them, well, their clubhead speed is faster. They're that much better than you. If you think you have a 120 clubhead speed yet shoot 85 or only hit your 8 iron 150, you probably don't really swing that fast. The correlation is very strong. There are exceptions of course but generally speaking, the lower your handicap, the faster your swing, the faster your swing, the lower your handicap.

I think we all get that. It's when I see a 200 yr 7-iron or 165 yd 9-iron with little to no wind that I am so blown away to the point of wondering if their club faces are de-lofted or something. Maybe the announcers play it up from time to time. Maybe they really are just absolute freaks who can hit a 7 iron as far as many solid players can hit their 4.
watty
AG
I'm blown away by them too. It's amazing how good they are. The consistency is what gets me. That and the distance.
Icecream_Ag
S
Aggie369 said:

Irons off the rack and irons fit to ur swing aren't going to make THAT much difference for a top 50 player in the world if the shafts are both in the same ball park. Hell I played against Rory Sabatini when he was top 30 one day and I was up by 1 after 8 playing same tees. He tells me he will play the 9th hole with my clubs (not only different clubs and shafts but I'm freaking left handed) we play from back tees....we both make 5

Shoot fowler made a hole in one with another guys wedge while in tennis shoes this year for Erie Els' foundation
that was kinda my point, the clubs don't make that big of a difference. It's the consistency of the swing.
Aggie369
AG
A good 9 iron for me is about 157....if the greens aren't holding or if the green is down hill then a 9 iron isn't crazy to hit 165

My lofts are stronger than my old set of Mizunos from 15 years ago but I will assure you pros don't de-loft their clubs to hit it further. Their lofts are set up to cover all distances from a full lob wedge on up. It's not alays about how far....it's making sure the ball travels a certain height, with optimum spin, with good distance. Hitting it further with no spin and 15 feet lower won't hold a green ESPECIALLY the greens they play. Here is where a different ball can help some. The difference for a pro golfer on a prov1 and prov1x is only like 300 revolutions on a driver if they have a high swing speed. They are just trying to find the right combination that fits their swing the majority of the time. The average golfer can really only tell those balls are different from the sound....the sound gives them the perception it's softer
SmackDaddy
AG
They should just make all clubs with the actual degree of loft, 60, 56, 52, 48, 44, 40 etc all the way down. The 5, 6, 7 doesn't need mean anything anymore and isn't comparable across club manufacturers.
shaynew1
AG
It's all in their turn.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.