What is typically an average score for these handicap ranges?

116,539 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 07fta07
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0-5
5-10
10-15
15-20
20+
Nom de Plume
AG
Not really any such thing. It's especially difficult to generalize with higher handicaps because the delta between high/low rounds could be so huge an average doesn't make any sense. I know 20 index players that could shoot 84 or 105. But in a very general sense I'd guess an "average" round for any player is about 3-4 strokes above their index. But what course you're playing has a HUGE impact on this, too:
0 - +3ish
5 - +8ish
10 - +13ish
15 - +18ish
20 - +23ish

[This message has been edited by nom de plume (edited 6/8/2013 10:47a).]
Nom de Plume
AG
I'm a 7 and shoot a lot of 80-83 rounds on average difficulty courses. 85ish on hard ones and 76ish on easy ones.

My FIL is a 10 and shoots 85 a lot on an average difficulty course. But he can shoot 79 or 93.

[This message has been edited by nom de plume (edited 6/8/2013 10:47a).]
oneeyedag
Course and tee's where the slope and rating is huge factor. Conditions also a factor. Ive played with some +1-2's on their home course and they play like mini tour players. Get them out of their comfort zone of playing pitch and putt, their scores seem to increase when they have to hit all their clubs.
oneeyedag
Course and tee's where the slope and rating is huge factor. Conditions also a factor. Ive played with some +1-2's on their home course and they play like mini tour players. Get them out of their comfort zone of playing pitch and putt, their scores seem to increase when they have to hit all their clubs.
John Maplethorpe
AG
I read somewhere that the "average golfer", someone who plays 15-20 times per year or less, shoots over 100 on average.

Anything over 15-20 rounds per year is considered an avid golfer and the scores are a lot lower of course.
xaggie95
AG
quote:
Anything over 15-20 rounds per year is considered an avid golfer and the scores are a lot lower of course.

2/3x week...I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...Desperately trying to get to a single digit HC though.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm a 6 and range between 77 on a good day to 85 on a bad. I consider over 85 a bad round for me. The tees I play from at golfcrest are 73.2/137 rating. If someone asks what I shoot I say low 80's.
nickel
My handicap bounces between 10 and 11. Playing about 2-3 times per month, I'll break 80 once or twice a year and get above 90 a couple times too. But I'd estimate that eight out of every 10 rounds are between 83 and 87.
Gig-Em2003
AG
4 handicap. Can shoot 75 but typically am one or two shots on either side of 80
HERKIMER80
AG
Im an 8..I say I shoot anywhere from 75-85, but can ehoot 100 on any given day and 72 on any given day...depends on course and how im rolling em.
ElCheAg
AG
I shoot a gross average of 97, yet my handicap index is 16.5.

Sucks 'cause I play Nassau with 11 and 21 handicap players who most always shoot gross 84 and 95 respectively.

Needless to say, I lose a lot, lot more than i win.
07fta07
AG
Handicap hovers around 6.5 usually, down to 4.8 now. I shot 73 yesterday but also shot 87 last week. My last 20 score average is 81.
BreNayPop
AG
Im an 11, was an 8.7, average score for the last 10 rounds is 84.
1208HawkTree
AG
"The USGA Handicap System is based upon the potential ability of a player rather than the average of all his scores. The USGA's Handicap Research Team tells us that the average player is expected to play to his Course Handicap or better only about 25 percent of the time, average three strokes higher than his Course Handicap, and have a best score in 20, which is only two strokes better than his Course Handicap."

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/articles_resources/How-Well-Should-You-Play-/

[This message has been edited by 1208hawktree (edited 6/9/2013 9:40a).]
Yesterday
AG
I'm a 10 and my last three scores were 88, 85, 91 on a 73.7/132 course.
golfaddict
I am exactly the same. My low is 4.6. Best round ever is a 75 that went in as a 1.6 and my worst round was a 94 playing the tips at Trump National.
clobby
AG
I'm a 25 and shoot 100s
G Martin 87
AG
21 hcp and typically shoot low 90s. I consider a 100+ score to be a really bad round. Two years ago I was in the high 20s hcp, so I'm making steady progress.

As mentioned at the top, the slope of the course you play most often has a big impact. My home course is 116 from the white and 124 from the blue.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I'm a 1-4 hdcp and shoot 76-78 on an avg round at my home course with rating 73. If I shoot low 80's it's a little below avg and anything above 85 I'm playing quite bad
oldschool87
AG
0-5. 68 80
5-10. 73 85
10-15. 78 92
15-20. 82 100
20. 90 110
Buck Compton
AG
So I'm an 11 but don't play like it anymore - just don't get a chance as much… I routinely shoot around 90.

I've been waiting for my handicap to jump back up,, but have found they're sticky. My best round ever is still a counter from 2019 cause I rarely get a chance to play. Had a fantastic day at Koolau because I only touched my driver once and made several long putts. Shot 83 on a 75.4/150… most of my rounds are high 87-95 on a 73.5/137.

So handicaps are more solid the more often you play.
Muy
AG
After a year of trying to play golf seriously, I'm a 17.6 handicap, the course I play primarily (Old American) has a Course Handicap of 24 for me, and I generally shoot mid to high 90's after losing 5,000 balls every round.
WestTexasAgalo
Similar to many of the other responses…I am currently a 3.2 index and my most recent 20 scores range from 70 to 88, with 77.1 being the average. This is across several different courses, with the average rating being something like 72/125.

It's interesting how many variables go into the golf stats, but the bottom line is, just like we all say regularly, you really never know what's going to happen on a given day!
Gig-Em2003
AG
I'm a 1.4 with avg score last 20 rounds of 79.5 and a range of 74 to 89. The course I primarily play is tough at 74.4/139 (par 72) for the tees one up from the tips.
Thisguy1
Nobody realize this was an 8 year bump by the rook?
BreNayPop
AG
I realized this was a bump when I saw my own response and was like "why did I write an 11 when I'm a 7 now?"…
07fta07
AG
I was happy to see I said I hovered around 6.5 and was down to a 4.8 at the time. Now I'm consistently in the +1 to 1 range. Nice to be reminded of the improvement.

Score range wise - I'm a 0.5 today. 2021 low of 67 and high of 84 with an average of 74.8. Surprisingly 2020 was also 67/84 but with a 74.1 average.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.