Lakewood CC or Royal Oaks CC

35,090 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by bdenby
Coprolite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I may be moving to Dallas in the near future and wanted to get opinions on which is the better country club for a young professional. Thanks!
EdmondsWay
AG
hope you have some serious coin for lakewood . . . dont forget you need to know someone to sponsor you as well.

as for the courses, they are both great. Lakewood cc buildings are being renovated.
East Dallas Ag
AG
The topography of Royal Oaks is just boring to me as it is absolutely flat. Not that Lakewood has a lot of elevation changes, but there is at least some undulations. I may be mistaken but isn't RO in a flood plain or at least an area prone to flooding? Not a problem with our recent drought but once that changes there's bound to be some times where the course is unplayable.

RO might be more convenient or accessible as it's closer to 75, and they have some good family programs, a 4th of July fireworks as well I believe, but my vote would be Lakewood.

Dallas Athletic Club also gets great ratings especially for the cost and is the home course for SMU, it's just not as convenient to the CBD as the ones you mentioned.

I'm a Realtor that specializes in those areas so if you need any help in that regards, I'm happy to help.

[This message has been edited by East Dallas Ag (edited 1/15/2012 5:49p).]
RAMF 95
AG
Are there any new private clubs that have newer homes or ability to build in Dallas area?
bdenby
AG
DAC is a better option than either Lakewood or Royal Oaks, IMO. Two Nickluas courses, large range, brand new short game area with four bent greens that can be played from up to 200 yards out. Plus four huge bent putting greens and one Bermuda green. Lots of 30-45 year old players. Pro shop will help you get a regular game and introduce you around. Lots of action if you like to play seriously and several good card games. Totally remodeled pool area with kids's playground. From Lakewood CC it is less than 10 minutes to DAC. Most all of the young memebers live in Lake Highlands or Lakewood. Also, no assessments.

Full disclosure: I've been a member there for five years. PM me and I'd be happy to take you out to play and see the place. I'm 36.
Coprolite
Thanks for the information guys. I might take you up on your offer bdenby after I finalize the purchase of a home. Just curious, what are initiation and monthly due fees at DAC?
Stymied
AG
I'd agree with the above poster. DAC is the better golf value over RO or Lakewood. Its not quite the place to be seen if that is what you are after though.

If you are under 35, you should qualify for the Junior Membership. That is around 10k while the regular is around 20k (assuming the recent increase is in effect, not sure exactly when it is effective).

Dues are around 450 to 500 base plus food, carts, etc.
Stymied
AG
BTW, in case you haven't priced them yet, RO and Lakewood are both in the 60 to 80+ initiation range (unless they have dropped prices lately). They are quite a bit more expensive than DAC.
bdenby
AG
The junior membership at DAC was not effected by the recent increase. $7,500 initiation for Juniors. That can be paid out in annual installments until you turn 35. Once you turn 35, there is not an additional balance to be paid, as with most Junior programs. Also, you can put the membership in your wife's name, if she is younger, and extend the junior dues and the amount of time to pay out the $7,500. If you want to pay cash the Junior initiation is $6,000. Dues, fees, ect total less than $400/month before taxes.
Bottom line is two GREAT golf courses and a primetime practice facility for a fraction of the cost of the other two options, plus no assessments. Check the agreement language re: assessments at LCC and ROCC, could get expensive.
Here is a link to the most recent DMN rankings:http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/golf/headlines/20110401-the-top-100-courses-in-texas-dallas-national-colonial-preston-trail-ranked-2-3-4.ece
Per DMN, DAC Blue is better than Lakewood and two spots behind Royal Oaks. But our second course is better than a lot of places that are much more expensive, Stonebriar, Lantana, ect.
PM me and we can discuss offline.
Sorry to everyone else. Ad OVER.
Stymied
AG
Avid Golfer's comparison is also an interesting read.

http://www.myavidgolfer.com/back_issues/?view=department&department_id=1&issue_id=201

I've been playing at DAC since the early 90s (became a paying member about 3 years ago) and it's a great deal for the money. The market is making it a good time to join a club.

[This message has been edited by AeroAg2003 (edited 1/16/2012 4:24p).]
RAMF 95
AG
Thank you very much for these posts. Looks like I might very well be moving up to Dallas and we are starting to look around a bit.

arson keg
quote:
But our second course is better than a lot of places that are much more expensive, Stonebriar, Lantana, ect

quite the DAC homer. I've played Stonebriar and the DAC too many times to count and if you SERIOUSLY think either course at the DAC compare to Stonebriar, you're smoking some good stuff.
Stymied
AG
Time to start the Dallas private golf pissing contest!

I've personally never played Stonebriar but I've heard the two courses are very good. DAC is by no means a Preston Trail, Vaquero or Brookhollow but I think it holds its own against many in town. DAC does have quite a bit of history and continues to hold national and state tournaments on a regular basis (USGA Mid Am, Texas State Open, etc).

Judging a golf course is highly subjective and given what I've heard about Stonebriar, I'm a little skeptical that it just "blows away" DAC. This mainly comes from the fact that Stonebriar ranks behind the Sports Club, Lakewood, Bent Tree, and Gleneagles on the Avid Golfer list. I've played all of those courses and none of them blow me away. (DAC doesn't either for that matter.)

FYI - I don't think I've ever heard anyone use "the" before DAC. Not that it really matters but you did say you've played there tons of times...
HouAggie
AG
The Texas Mid Amateur is being played on the Blue course at DAC this year. Is that the better or worse course?
Stymied
AG
The Blue course is the more highly regarded of the two courses.
Kjodie
DAC is an excellent course. I play there all the time and the course is always in great shape. Where DAC scores big points is in Affordability, (much cheaper than RO or Lakewood). Convenience, if you live in East Dallas Stonebriar is not an option (and yes i've played both their courses.) Amenities, they have two courses, short game area, redone pool and clubhouse, tennis etc.

Also the general membership is younger. RO MAY be a better course but the average age of the membership is much older. These are all reasons high DAC gets rank so high by most golf publications.

I.Y.A.C.Y.A.S. '91
bdenby
AG
Blue eyes are you not a homer for products you prefer or groups you join? I would like to have more members, especially young memebers at my club. Sorry if that is a problem for you.
As for the rankings, DMN and Avid Golfer place both DAC courses above Stonebriar. That's the ranking, not just a homer's opinion. I like both DAC courses better than the Fazio and club course. You know what they say about opinions.

[This message has been edited by bdenby (edited 1/17/2012 10:45p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.