Houston Country Club Recommendation

53,559 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BESCo91
Coprolite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would appreciate recommendations on joining a country club in Houston. I live and work in the inner loop, am a 15 handicapper, will play 1-2 times a weeks and will conduct a lot of business on the course. Needs to be an impressive facility with all the amenities. Thanks.
BarryProfit
What are you willing to drop on initiation?
HouAggie
AG
River Oaks Country Club
Houston Country Club

Probably the two nicest facilities close in to town.

If you get out a little further, maybe Royal Oaks or even Lakeside.
terradactylexpress
you also how to consider how long you would have to wait to get in. you might want to look at someof the places around the beltway. maybe cross reference this to the houston board? I am still a poor new grad so i really can't help you on CC's in houston
bilbobag
Lakeside, Brae Burn
nnichols
Id have to agree with ROCC HCC and Lakeside. With that said, they are also in the top price range and all have wait lists and require sponsorship.
Harry Stone
AG
lochinvar
Gig-Em2003
AG
If you are trying to impress a client, Lochinvar might be your best bet. Very exclusive and men-only.
nnichols
Only problem with Lochinvar is its distance from the villages/midtown/downtown. Plus, they have limited options for family and friends and special occasions. ROCC HCC and LCC are all family and business friendly, but then again, them and Lochinvar require alot down (60k+).

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 7/15/2010 2:46p).]
BarryProfit
Lochinvar is too far.

Seriously, it all depends on what you are willing to drop to get in.
inozips
AG
Loves me some Westwood...but I can't afford the $20k nut to get in or the $500+/month.

You have to decide what are your priorites?Just want a place to play golf and hang out? Is this a social climbing exercise? You want in now? Waiting list at Houston CC & River Oaks has got to be a year or longer. If it's more about "GOLF" go to Champions. From previous discussions on the Board there are some facilities that will let you come in pick up dues and if you promise to stay a year & no iniation. I know Hearthstone was one that came up here recently. Would expect Northgate to be similar. To a lesser extent is walking important to you when you play? That leaves out Royal Oaks. Do you want your own cart? Some allow with a "trail fee" other do not.

You have a lot of cogitating to do...let us know what you decide. there is more than one fence sitter out here.
jkh12
To the OP, I was in a similar situation a little over a year ago, so here is my two cents.

I live in Katy, so my options were the following: Willow Fork, Pine Forest, Falcon Point and Meadowbrook. I ended up going to Falcon Point because I knew more people and it is closer to my house.

Depending on where you live in the city, Pine Forest is worth checking out because it's nice enough for clients, 27 holes, and affordable. I was about to go there, but 18 miles vs. 3 was the deciding factor. Also check out the Houstonian. Great Course, but a bigger price tag. All in all if you are on the west side I would check out Pine Forest or Westwood. If you are in Katy, check out Falcon Point or Willow Fork.

Hope this helps.
Coprolite
I would like to keep initiation fee below $50k if possible. Thanks for the suggestions.
garym2001
AG
OP, how old are you? That makes a big difference as many clubs offer Jr. memberships with smaller upfront initiation

Ex- River Oaks is 100k, but has a jr program (35 and under) that gets you in for 15k. still have to make up the other 85k (financing available) after you turn 35 though. The wait is also longer than a yr. more like 2.
superbowlringd
Westwood is a great course, but won't have a clubhouse for sometime.
Harry Stone
AG
most people that are members at lochinvar don't live close to it. look at the area it's in. plus you can hop on the hardy and it's a straight shot.
HouAggie
AG
Westwood STILL doesn't have a clubhouse? Seems like it's been forever. Do they not have the money?
nnichols
The current wait at ROCC is 3 1/2 years. The wait at HCC and Lakeside is ~2- 21/2 years. Again, it depends upon who your sponsors are and how well connected you are with the board etc. Ive known people at all three that got through in less than a year, but I also know some people that stayed on for 5-7 years, no qualms. The benefit of HCC and LCC's junior members program is that when your junior term expires, you arent responsible for the difference in initiation fees like you are at ROCC. They also run from 25-40 vs to 35. The clubs also have a different pay structure. Some make you pay for food and beverage through monthly dues and whatever isnt used is sunk and anything rund up in excess is added to the next months statement. Others are more billing friendly. The problem with junior membership is its almost entirely comprised of current members families (club's choice). Thus, the number of new members admitted as junior members without a legacy umbrella is virtually zero. If youd like a tour of either of the three or Royal Oaks, let me know.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 7/15/2010 8:04p).]
Tag77
Kingwood CC

Four home courses so you seldom have a issue with a tee time.

Coprolite
I am 35, turning 36 next May.
BarryProfit
You should be able to get in as a Jr. still at most clubs. If you are married and your wife is younger you can probably use her age, gives you more time before becoming a stockholder$$$$.

My suggestions: 1) stay in town. If you are going way out to the burbs and you don’t live there, IMHO it would have to be for some place great like Shadowhawk, and that ain't happening. 2) Find a club with a strong jr. program or make sure a healthy amount of members are in your age group. That will help you meet people and is great for networking. 3) Go use the facilities... play the course, have a few drinks in the locker room, check out the pool, ask for a newsletter so you can check out the social calendar. Look for a lot of activity that appeals to all the members, i.e. older, younger. If you have kids make sure it is a place you can take the family (at least every once in a while you will probably want to ). Eat the food! Make sure you like it, check out a Sunday Brunch if possible.

When you find a place that feels right you will know it. Most of the names mentioned on here are the ones to check out, so do so and join the one you feel most comfortable at, that is conveniently located (preferably from both home and office) and that has the course you like the best. Go in with an open mind and try not to let others shape your opinion before you check out a particular club, even though it can be hard.

Good luck, joining a club is a great experience, and for the most part it just keeps getting better the longer you are a member. Also remember that if you are young and have the resources to join somewhere, it probably means you are fairly successful, but still have a lot of earning years ahead. What I mean is that you aren’t peaking, so if you can’t swing HCC right now you may be able to in a few years as your career ascends. Don’t sweat it thinking you are making a lifelong decision, it’s not a marriage, although your membership may end up outlasting your marriage, esp. if you are out at the club all of the time.
Houston_Ag
I've spent time at Lakeside and Houston, but have never set foot on River Oaks. They really are two pretty different atmospheres. HCC is definitely more old school. Their facilities other than the pool are top notch. They haven't put in a resort pool yet like Lakeside or the Racquet Club. They have a great menu and there are a lot of good people out there.

Lakeside in contrast is definitely more relaxed and seems to cater to a younger crowd. Their facilities are very nice as well and have endless social activities for both families and adult nights out.

The courses at both are very nice, but HCC probably takes the edge, but not by a large margin.

I can't imagine you could go wrong with any of them but like others have said, get to know people at each, tour the places, spend as much time as a guest as you can at the various functions and eventually you'll know which one feels right.
Coprolite
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will let you know how this process progresses. I think the short list is Lakeside, Houston CC and River Oaks.
nnichols
Dont forget, you will also need to find sponsors. There are alot of people that would like to join, and have the resources, but those three all require personal sponsorships. PM me if youd like to discuss.
Don1969
I am looking for a member recommendation to join the Houston Country Club. Can anyone help?
garym2001
AG
Don- not be a ***** but if you're soliciting sponsorship on an Aggie message board, you aren't getting in to HCC. It, along with River Oaks, is very incestuous and they don't just let "new" folks in. Its a very difficult process if you aren't a legacy or if you don't already know a ton of people. Best bet is to network like crazy, get to know 20-30 members very well, and hope 2 of them will stick their neck out for you. Even then it's a long, uphill process.
Boo Weekley
That's freaking ridiculous. Sounds like a sorority for snobby old rich men.
antman8504
AG
quote:
That's freaking ridiculous. Sounds like a sorority for snobby old rich men.

Lol. Agreed!!
garym2001
AG
I don't disagree. Just want him to know he's facing.
jakeaggie84
AG
I love golf and nice courses, but hate the elitist nature of the high end clubs. That being said, I am more than happy to pay for my guest fee and your lunch to get out on some of those courses if anyone wants a playing partner!
DRE06
AG
You either get it or you don't. We're in the 4th biggest city in the country and we're talking country clubs.

They aren't going to let some oil patch redneck join the club, hack up the course and be a complete drunk in the clubhouse just because he makes (or Inherited) a lot of money.

I ran into this exact issue just last month at Sugar Creek Country Club.
mt3950
AG
Don't leave Royal Oaks off that list. It's at least worth looking into. Great course that's very playable. Great facilities too.
mt3950
AG
quote:
I am looking for a member recommendation to join the Houston Country Club. Can anyone help?

CRM1712
AG
quote:
You either get it or you don't. We're in the 4th biggest city in the country and we're talking country clubs.

They aren't going to let some oil patch redneck join the club, hack up the course and be a complete drunk in the clubhouse just because he makes (or Inherited) a lot of money.

I ran into this exact issue just last month at Sugar Creek Country Club.
Dre, what happened at Sugar Creek? I just joined Riverbend this past week over Sugar Creek. I've enjoyed it so far. Definitely more of a golf club than a country club, but that was more for what I was going for.
remy713
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.