Former TTU Head Coach Steve Sloan passes away

1,161 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by e=mc2
Big 12-0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/steve-sloan-dies-at-79-ex-ole-miss-coach-won-two-national-titles-as-player-under-bear-bryant-at-alabama/

"Sloan was hired as Vanderbilt's head coach in 1973 and amassed a 12-9-2 record, including an appearance in the 1974 Peach Bowl, in two seasons with the Commodores. He left for Texas Tech in 1975 and in 1976 led the Red Raiders to a Southwest Conference title and a ranking of No. 13 in that year's final AP poll."
UTExan
Sorry to hear. Condolences to his family.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sorry to hear that, he always came across as a good guy and very sincere. Wasn't very successful as a coach, but seems like he brought more to the table than just wins and losses.
vin1041
AG
Sorry to hear.
Raiderjay
TXAGBQ76 said:

Sorry to hear that, he always came across as a good guy and very sincere. Wasn't very successful as a coach, but seems like he brought more to the table than just wins and losses.
m

He was successful at Tech, including a 10-1 season and conf championship
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yes, that was his most successful stop.
Big 12-0
He could've really built a legacy at Tech so never understood why he left after only three years. His best season at Ole Miss was 5-6.

EDIT: I mean I understand that SEC was home for him, but he had something special going on in the South Plains.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sometimes, momma calls
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Split championship with cougar high, who won the Cotton Bowl and finished #4 in the AP Poll.. Texas Tech lost the Bluebonnet Bowl and finished #13 in the AP Poll. A&M finished #7, destroying Florida in the Sun Bowl. Condolences to Mr. Sloan's family for their loss, and to him personally for having to live in Lubbock for a few years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/swc/1976.html
91AggieLawyer
AG
Big 12-0 said:

He could've really built a legacy at Tech so never understood why he left after only three years. His best season at Ole Miss was 5-6.

EDIT: I mean I understand that SEC was home for him, but he had something special going on in the South Plains.

tech was a very difficult job back then. There were guys that would go to North Texas over tech. About the only SWC teams they were winning recruiting battles against, and not consistently, were TCU and Rice.

Ole Miss would have been a huge upgrade and likely an even bigger salary increase. The SEC then wasn't anything like it is today. Only Bama was consistently good. When Sloan took over, Ole Miss had as much of a chance as anyone else to catch them or at least be a close second as they had done in the early '70s. He was just the wrong guy. The three years he made bowl games -- at Vandy and tech -- were flukes. He was a 4-7 coach.
Big 12-0
Jim Hogg is angry said:

Condolences to Mr. Sloan's family for their loss, and to him personally for having to live in Lubbock for a few years.

Wait… What's wrong with living in Lubbock? Did I miss something?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Big 12-0 said:

Jim Hogg is angry said:

Condolences to Mr. Sloan's family for their loss, and to him personally for having to live in Lubbock for a few years.

I've actually narrowed down the locations to build my retirement retreat between Lubbock and Kandahar, Afghanistan.
maroon barchetta
Jim Hogg is angry said:

Big 12-0 said:

Jim Hogg is angry said:

I've actually narrowed down the locations to build my retirement retreat between Lubbock and Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Can you get Dr Pepper in Kandahar?
UTExan
Big 12-0 said:

Jim Hogg is angry said:

I think people are jealous of Lubbock due to its high, dry location. You can get by without air conditioning for longer in the year and dare I even mention its diverse cultural attractions?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TXAGBQ76
AG
LOL!
e=mc2
AG
Raiderjay said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

m

He was successful at Tech, including a 10-1 season and conf championship

You misspelled co-championship.
e=mc2
AG
UTExan said:

Big 12-0 said:

Jim Hogg is angry said:

I think people are jealous of Lubbock due to its high, dry location. You can get by without air conditioning for longer in the year and dare I even mention its diverse cultural attractions?
Are you seriously fetching water for Lubbock? Have you not seen the occasional haboobs?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.