Sips love their 5 star QB, Not so fast my friend.

5,922 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Paradise Ag
aggiediehard10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After worshipping and glorifying their 5 star quarterback, it appears reality is setting in with the sips.
If the quarterback was a stock, we would refer to him as a Pump and Dump.
https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-makes-controversial-decision-with-class-of-2022-QB-161130250/
Central Committee
AG
They settled on the best they knew they could get.

Time will tell, but this might be another Tyrone Swoops. Really odd throwing style and very little production. Basically, they boosted his rating based on athletic potential, and nothing more.
Sonny Corleone
AG
Maybe I don't understand the "Stars", do you get them for potential or production? The kid threw only 50 balls in his life, as a Soph, how did he become a 5 star?
AgGrad99
AG
If this is all they take at QB, i think it's a huge risk for them.

But my guess is that they continue to recruit locally, just as hard as they would without him in the fold.
Daddy
AG
Hes got real arm talent. I'm sure they get another qb.
PGAG
AG
They'll go with 2 QB's is my guess. Sark will sell himself as a QB developer with an all gas no brakes offense. Still think Hudson Card is their guy for the next 3 years.
Think the Ags may take a second as well.
TexAgsSean
AG
PGAG said:

They'll go with 2 QB's is my guess. Sark will sell himself as a QB developer with an all gas no brakes offense. Still think Hudson Card is their guy for the next 3 years.

The sip boards would have a meltdown if Thompson isn't the starter over Hudson, based on the 2 quarters of play he had versus a trash Colorado team in the bowl game. I believe they've already crowned him as the next Heisman.
RevrndAg79
AG
Remind us memory challenged olds, who are we talking about?

And that has been one of my pet peeves about ranking services all along. What is their criteria? Production? Potential, as gauged by what - SPARQ scores, camp observations or gossip, interviewing coaching sources, or things like track and field statistics or something? I know the internet loves brevity, that is why so many of my posts go unread! But it would be nice if articles on players evaluated gave some evidence of why they ranked a player as they did.

And then there is the all too obvious subscriber base bumps for tu. Scratch their itching ears and they'll keep renewing those subscriptions. You would think being sold the idea that a kid is a 5 star when he isn't would finally sour true fans. But if it keeps them yelping at their coaches and over- expecting rather than having patience for true program building - well, let the party continue!
Paradise Ag
AG
Sonny Corleone said:

Maybe I don't understand the "Stars", do you get them for potential or production? The kid threw only 50 balls in his life, as a Soph, how did he become a 5 star?

Imagine what he'll be ranked once he throws his first TD pass.
jamey
AG
Sonny Corleone said:

I've long said they should have two rankings for each player, one for athleticism and one as a player.

This guy may have all the tools but hard to say as a player because he's got such limited snaps without a Jr season
D A G
AG
Uncle Rico was able to throw a football over the mountains but still never won State.
Himbo Fisher
AG
Sonny Corleone said:

It's incredible the constant moving of the goal posts with these rating services.

Haynes King tears it up in camps, Elite 11, etc... and his measurables like his 40 and shuttle are stupid for a QB. He has a down year his senior year compared to his phenomenal junior year and he plummets in the rankings.

tu had a 5 star a couple years back who was a 5* ONLY because of his measurables which they used to justify potential. Was not based on production at all.

Similar to this kid. Does well in camps and what not... barely any PT on varsity and the stats he does have are no where near 5* status.

Blows my mind.
Layne Staley
AG
I'm perfectly fine with the sip PR machine over hyping their talent only to walk off the actual games with the other team having a higher score on the scoreboard.
wheelz
AG
Sonny Corleone said:

There needs to be a new classification known as the 'Sip 5-star'.
Co-Host - Able Outdoors
sbarnett84
AG
You think he's a 5star talent?
Observer
AG
If Murphy committed to any team that is not tu, he would have been rated a 2*/3*.

If arm strength and the ability to accurately throw into a non-moving basket are only criterias to grade a qb, our own Calzada should have been a 5*. In HS, Calzada showed significantly more than Murphy at the stage.
micahb2002
AG
Can someone post his actual varsity stats?
Buglerank62
AG
My monster browser called it a Monster Commitment.
jickyjack1
Central Committee said:

They settled on the best they knew they could get.

Time will tell, but this might be another Tyrone Swoops. Really odd throwing style and very little production. Basically, they boosted his rating based on athletic potential, and nothing more.

California; you didn't mention California.
jickyjack1
aggie93
AG
I don't have an issue with a guy getting a big bump because of camps and sheer physical ability. That said the hype here is lunacy. He's rated as the #2 overall Pro Style QB behind Ewers yet he has literally never thrown a HS football TD and hasn't played a down for 2 years. I mean a Pro Style QB is all about a guy that can manage an offense and read defenses and execute. It goes far beyond arm talent and looking good in a camp to put him as the #2 guy over literally thousands of QB's. Cade Kubnick who just outdueled the #1 guy and also is loaded with talent is #6.

I mean compare this to Noah Thomas. Also a freak athlete that has tremendous physical skills but because he has only played a year at WR (a year where he played very well) he is only a 3*. His toolset is easily a 5*. He also plays WR which is far easier to pick up compared to QB. Thomas is downrated though because he has limited actual experience on the field though it is more recent and far more accomplished than Murphy at a position where physical talent is key.

In the end it's all a grain of salt anyway. It's rating service guys that are going to camps or going off what they have heard and rating players and examples like this just show how flawed the services can be.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
JonnieUtah
AG
micahb2002 said:

Can someone post his actual varsity stats?
Dad
AG
Even if the kid looked like the second coming of Vince Young, I feel like I wouldn't give him that 5th star until he proved it on the field this fall. I realize that if a guy looks like Lebron James he'll probably make a damn good TE or defensive player so I'm okay with 5 stars for the non-QB positions just based on size and athleticism but it seems like QB takes a lot more than that for success so I wouldn't hand out the 5th star so easy.
JonnieUtah
AG
Dad said:

Even if the kid looked like the second coming of Vince Young, I feel like I wouldn't give him that 5th star until he proved it on the field this fall. I realize that if a guy looks like Lebron James he'll probably make a damn good TE or defensive player so I'm okay with 5 stars for the non-QB positions just based on size and athleticism but it seems like QB takes a lot more than that for success so I wouldn't hand out the 5th star so easy.
****, I wouldn't give him a 4th star based on his stats and video. 3 would be pushing it.
Paradise Ag
AG

Completes passes at a 46% rate.

Averages 1/2 a yard per carry.

Has accounted for zero points.

Five stars, give it to him.
Tbone
S
Sonny Corleone said:

I agree.
This is an absurd ranking for a kid that hasn't STARTED and single Varsity level game.
He's split time and thrown less than 50 balls in his H.S. career.

Absurd.
docb
AG
Amazing that so many football articles provide so little useful information. I guess when they have to write about it year round there is a need to get creative.
JohnnyD
AG
Appears they had him as a five star before he committed to sip. Five star ranking for anyone based on zero on field play is just another example of how inconsistent these services are with their rankings. Looks like some major schools also recognize the potential but, like the article says, he's a big risk if you only take one QB.
jb 00
Did Jimbo offer him?
Sterling82
I don't follow recruiting that closely but what makes up the composite? Maalick is a 4* on rivals and 247 which I presume are part of the composite. So which services rate him so high that he's a 5*?

He's also 4* on ESPN
houag80
AG
This is Brisket 2.0 no question. Bring on the "We're back" memes
Charlie 31
AG
This part of the article just smacks of teassip arrogance:

Quote:

"After our quarterback meeting today, Conner Weigman might be our No. 2 guy," Biggins said. "I think right now he's No. 8, but he grew up a Texas fan. Texas, when Sark came in, didn't really show him a ton of love. He committed to A&M.

I bet Conner Weigman is excited to hear that after Jimbo and the Aggies committed to him and he then committed to the good guys that he now "might be" the sips' "No. 2 guy" after Sark "didn't really show him a ton of love."

Weigman might be ranked the number eight quarterback by 247, but he is number one for me as our Class of 2022 quarterback recruit and I hope he stays with the good guys.
levypantsEOY
sbarnett84 said:

You think he's a 5star talent?

Jimbo must have. He also offered him...
ccatag
AG
houag80 said:

This is Brisket 2.0 no question. Bring on the "We're back" memes

Looking forward to reading Ketch's insights on this.
tamc91
AG
The article says Sark is an offensive mastermind. I seem to recall a Dave Campbell's cover of another offensive mastermind at t.u. They aren't even trying to be creative in their descriptions. Same old sips...
BQ78
AG
But can Sark write backwards like the previous Mensa?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.