Semi-Realistic coaching hires for the sips

8,509 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was talking about this with a coworker today. Sounds like the sips have purse problems with the boosters, so likelihood of stealing away a big name doesn't sounds like an option (per usual, but it needed to be said).

I think the following hires for the sips would make me feel uncomfortable going forward. I also think they are semi-realistic.

PJ Fleck - still a pretty small name, but what he has done at his 1st program in D1 is impressive. Don't think he has any recruiting ties to Texas, so not sure how that would work out, but he gets his guys to play a over their level.

Bill O'Brien - before you laugh me out of this thread on this one, hear me out. If he's smart (lol), he realizes he's effectively done as a head coach in the NFL. What he did at the college level is pretty impressive though, and he's a household name in Texas, so he could probably recruit pretty well here, like it or not.

Hugh Freeze - he's basically the perfect replacement for Tom Herman. Shady past, never really won anything himself. But can put up points on anybody, so he could squeeze out enough wins to put himself in the B12 championship once every 4-5 years at texas.

Edit to add that I think Herman does just enough this year to keep his job. He's perfectly mediocre like that. But in the event he loses another 3-4 games, I think all bets are off the table.
T Durden
AG
I would laugh my butt off if they went with Obrien. Please try that tu when it is time.
cityagboy
AG
Please hire Bill!
Agsuffering@bulaw
I doubt they could sell their alums on buying out Herman for any of them. That said, Freeze is a very good coach. One of the early adapters to the RPO. Saban wanted to hire, but Sankey quashed it.

Freeze could probably recruit TX without cheating. All these spread QBs and WRs would be great in his RPO. If the sips were smart they would make firing "for cause" very broad in the contract to keep him in line.

But, I dont know that he suffers sip foolishness. He is good enough to win at a lesser P5 with scheme. They would probably leave him alone, so long as he did not rent pros for his recruits.
Potcake
AG
Justin Fuente
Jeremy Pruitt
LOYAL AG
AG
Potcake said:

Justin Fuente
Jeremy Pruitt
Why would anyone leave the ACC or SEC for the BDF? That's a demotion.
dreyOO
Since they're the Joneses, why not just moneywhip Gary Patterson? Seems like an easy get and major step up in coaching talent.

Come on Del. What you waiting for?
mulch
AG
OBrien could be had cheap

He would be a Sherman type rebuild the entire culture guy
80s Guy
mulch said:

Bwahahaha
T Durden
AG
80s Guy said:

mulch said:

Bwahahaha

Exactly. Dudes hated him and wanted out at an alarming rate.
IMnAg79
AG
Hugh Freeze will get another shot in a Major conference.
West Point Aggie
AG
Potcake said:

Jeremy Pruitt

Tennessee fans will drive him to Austin
Let’s Go Brandon!
1976Ag
AG
There is always Art Briles ;-). How desperate are they?
West Point Aggie
AG
1976Ag said:

There is always Art Briles ;-). How desperate are they?

Can you imagine!!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
chuckdownfield
AG
I still think Malzahn makes the most sense and seems most likely. Bad divorce from Auburn after this season coming
Jock 07
AG
chuckdownfield said:

I still think Malzahn makes the most sense and seems most likely. Bad divorce from Auburn after this season coming

Sip hubris would never allow them to pick up someone else's leftovers
AgOutsideAustin
AG
It will be Sonny Dykes.
Tom Doniphon
Any new coach is a pipe dream for those worthless chodes... They can't afford to fire that coke head they have running the program.
JWinTX
What about Matt Campbell at Iowa State?
West Point Aggie
AG
Maybe they can lure away the Syracuse coach or promote Ash to HC!
Let’s Go Brandon!
goodAg80
AG
Who is coaching Rutgers now?
Tom Doniphon
JWinTX said:

Maybe the best coach in the B12 right now. They are too arrogant and proud to hire him though.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

JWinTX said:

Maybe the best coach in the B12 right now. They are too arrogant and proud to hire him though.

Midwest guy. Will be the next Michigan coach.
... said:

...Sounds like the sips have purse problems with the boosters, so likelihood of stealing away a big name doesn't sounds like an option...

A big name is exactly why the boosters would open up their wallets.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
texag84
AG
Look at the city schools:

Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisville, Syracuse, Charlotte, Buffalo, Toled, Troy

This is the prospect list for sips
nortex97
AG
If they weren't total idiots, they might be able to make a run at Pittman given what he's done with Arkansas.

I don't think he, or Dykes are 'big enough names' for their egos though. I'd be really, really surprised if they hire a big name from outside of Texas, and there aren't any in the state this year.

Their recruiting where it matters has been trash (OL in particular), and I can't see a quality coach wanting to jump into the crap show, plus they're going to be hurting more than most financially given that they weren't very profitable pre-covid, now have to deal with the ratings/ticket apocalypse of 2020 to boot. Coach mensa for at least another year. Focus on championship hydration.
David_Puddy
AG
BaylorDub might have a legitimate heart attack if they hired O'Brien
goodAg80
AG
David_Puddy said:

BaylorDub might have a legitimate heart attack if they hired O'Brien
No kidding
wbt5845
AG
Only way Texas gets rid of Herman is for a big name.

They would sacrafice their own children for our coach. Snagging Jimbo was the kind of master stroke they dream of making.
hogfan14
nortex97 said:

If they weren't total idiots, they might be able to make a run at Pittman given what he's done with Arkansas.
Pittman is 58, don't think he intends on coaching longer than another 7 years. Not sure he wants to spend it with the politics and drama at UT worried about being fired for not beating OU or making the CFP every year. He grew up 45 minutes from Fayetteville and has had a house in Arkansas for a decade.
elfurioso92
AG
Buttchin would be perfect for the sips. Those post game pressers would be glorious.
Agvet12
AG
Heard Saban is house hunting in Austin again (this time it's a done deal guys! Also spurrier is on the plane to take over Dickey as our OC)

Of course if Saban deal falls through they'll money whip Urban

Lolol
K2Ag97
There's really one coach that I do not want them to pick up: Chris Klieman @KSU. He seems like the real deal (and who I want A&M to grab after 10 years of Jimbo).

Hopefully the sips keep chasing flash-in-the-pan types.
wbt584 said:

They would sacrafice their own children for our coach. Snagging Jimbo was the kind of master stroke they dream of making.

There's not a single Longhorn that I've spoken with that wants Jimbo. He's a perfect fit at A&M and you guys did a great job getting him.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
West Point Aggie
AG
If they do fire their current "genius" and pay the total $20M buyout, regardless whether it is all donated $$$, it is going to be fun watching them rationalize and explain that given all the financial hardship, AD furloughs and overall economic downturn!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.