Who was it that declared OU completely worthless in the age of realignment?

6,713 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by carl spacklers hat
Bonfire1996
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh, that was me.

They have 450,000 tv households in the State. What a freaking joke.

Broke ass land thieves
West Point Aggie
AG
It's gonna be broke ass ADs all over the land...
Hood
AG
Watch the absolute nuclear carnage across the college sports landscape if the abject fear of a Covid positive test cancels college football.
AgCat93
AG
Those wheels are likely already in motion behind the scenes.
Noble Men
AG
Their head coach wanted the season canceled. Seems like his salary should be stripped of more than 10%.
Repeat the Line
I hate that the tallest midget in the BDF continually wastes a spot in the CFPs.
dreyOO
Watching the covid fallout this year will be interesting. Would the NCAA actually cancel a season? If they did that, could a few power conferences flip them the bird and still play their own seasons out? (SEC, B1G)

Then these little pissant conferences could stay on the sidelines where they belong.
West Point Aggie
AG
dreyOO said:

Watching the covid fallout this year will be interesting. Would the NCAA actually cancel a season? If they did that, could a few power conferences flip them the bird and still play their own seasons out? (SEC, B1G)

Then these little pissant conferences could stay on the sidelines where they belong.

You underestimate the power of the herd/mob mentality...no school...conference will "go at it" alone. Karens will come out of the woodwork, the media will decry it as cold, heartless and only for money...they'll cave.
nortex97
AG

The miniature ponies are getting their revenge, slowly.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Imagine the liability. It would be the easiest lawsuit on earth to win for the anybody impacted by coronavirus as a result of playing the game. Insurance companies would probably advise programs that playing despite teh NCAA prohibition nullifies the policy and find someone else to cover it.
hunter2012
AG
Just post a notice at every entrance that permitted entry assumes the risk of covid. Seems pretty simple to me...
West Point Aggie
AG
hunter2012 said:

Just post a notice at every entrance that permitted entry assumes the risk of covid. Seems pretty simple to me...

I could not agree more but even that probably requires that reasonable measures have been taken by the venue. Otherwise a lawyer can pick it all apart and claim reckless negligence.

Sports this year are probably gone stupid as I think that is.
BohunkAg
AG
Seems like Okie Lite is wanting to go back to being more irrelevant too. This is all glorious. Reeks of the Tceh situation with Leach.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
OU is one bad hire away from being Nebraska.
West Point Aggie
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

Do you really think so? I mean at least Oklahoma borders Texas and has a significant presence in North Texas. When Nebraska left the big 12 their tie to the state went away
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

Do you really think so? I mean at least Oklahoma borders Texas and has a significant presence in North Texas. When Nebraska left the big 12 their tie to the state went away

They were **** after switzer left. Stoops was an amazing hire and was there for nearly 20 years and Riley has been good too. It's just my opinion though
West Point Aggie
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

They were **** after switzer left. Stoops was an amazing hire and was there for nearly 20 years and Riley has been good too. It's just my opinion though

Good point...
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
This is just the beginning of the end for just about all professional and big-time collegiate sports.

People ie money spenders....have had enough of spoiled athletes.

In our particular situation, the BMA's have had enough of General Studies majors ordering them around. Athletes don't hang around students and vice versa.

We were once a distinctive campus. We are rapidly becoming a cookie-cutter school. No differences between us and anywhere else.

Sully will be gone soon and most of the students will be taking their General Studies classes on-line.

Tamu_mgm
AG
West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

I buy that, but maybe not as bad as Nebraska considering the sh**hole that the BDF competition is. The reason they are still relevant is because Lincoln Riley knows the hell out of offense and mentors the QB position very well. That's why talent goes there, not because of OU itself and definitely not because of the conference they play in. If Riley were ever to leave for whatever reason and they get a bad or even average hire, then they would decline very quickly.
LOYAL AG
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

From that perspective everyone is one bad hire away from a long run of bad football. Heck look at tu since they ran off Mac v3 and they've got all the talent advantages you could want. As noted OU will likely never fall to Nebraska's level because of their proximity to DFW talent. They are smart to hitch their wagon to the horns however. They need an annual presence in the state.
MallalieuAg
AG
Mine was 15%!
West Point Aggie
AG
LOYAL AG said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

From that perspective everyone is one bad hire away from a long run of bad football. Heck look at tu since they ran off Mac v3 and they've got all the talent advantages you could want. As noted OU will likely never fall to Nebraska's level because of their proximity to DFW talent. They are smart to hitch their wagon to the horns however. They need an annual presence in the state.

Indeed...exhibit 1: Frannie
LOYAL AG
AG
West Point Aggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

You HAD to go there!!!!
West Point Aggie
AG
LOYAL AG said:

West Point Aggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

You HAD to go there!!!!

Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

So, that probably wins in court. But probably is not good enough without insurance.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And no, ou is not 1 bad hire away from Nebraska. They are a bad hire away from having a bad 4 years, but the structure is still in place.

How does ou win? They used to recruit a ton of TX athletes. Now, they get solid 3*s from TX and 4*s from TX and other places.

How did Neb win?

1. Bogus walk-on program
2. Partial qualifiers from CA and TX that the local programs would not touch
3. The last few years in the B12, TX recruting

ou has the RRS, and 1-2 other games in TX every year, plus the BDFCCG most years. Norman is only 3 hours from DFW.

The B12 handed a slow death sentence when it changed the rules on Neb. ou still enjoys a structural advantage over the 8 dwarves and should for the foreseeable future.
91_Aggie
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

This. I remember us dominating OU when they had Blake. Then they fired him and hired stoops and i was watching that first game expecting that domination to continue and we got blasted. ****ing leach lining up o linemen out with the wide receivers.
Potcake
AG
West Point Aggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

Are you referring to us or Bama? They had a 10 yr period in the desert with Mike DuBose, Fran, Mike Price (never coached a game), Mike Shula, and Joe Kines (one game). Everyone knows the rest of the story.
Success is cyclical, all the storied powerhouses have gone in the sh***er at times, tOSU, Ped State, USCw, FSU, LSU, and NU. Only tu pretends they have 80 straight 10+ win seasons.
West Point Aggie
AG
Potcake said:

West Point Aggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

Are you referring to us or Bama? They had a 10 yr period in the desert with Mike DuBose, Fran, Mike Price (never coached a game), Mike Shula, and Joe Kines (one game). Everyone knows the rest of the story.
Success is cyclical, all the storied powerhouses have gone in the sh***er at times, tOSU, Ped State, USCw, FSU, LSU, and NU. Only tu pretends they have 80 straight 10+ win seasons.

I meant us...we were so excited to lure away a coach from Bama...and didn't that blow up spectacularly in our faces!!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Generally agree. The question is whether the structure has changed, or they just have a bad coach.

I say Nebraska lost its structural advantage 20 years ago. What will change, other than a miracle coaching hire?

USCw is in interesting. There is a civil war going on. The current administration is very pro-academic. A lot of the bigs are very pro-football. We saw it play out with the president refusing to hire Urban Meyer.

USC is the type of program that needs to be doing well or playing big names to consistently draw big crowds. For much of their history, that was not a problem. But their attendance has been way off the past 2 years. That must be hurting financially. The Bigs wanted Clay Helton fired. I wonder if the money played a role, in addtion to the pres refusing to hire Urban.

In addition, the PAC is very down. That time zone already puts them at a disadvantage in tv revenue. But, the commissioner is a horrendous leader and revenue has been stagnant for years now. There is some talk that the university presidents will finally wack him, but it would still take years to clean up his mess.

There is a chance the pres changes the culture to where football is secondary and the lack of tv money and fan interest over a decade irreperable damages the program. FAcilities could fall so far behind and bigs could get old and die and not be replaced by up enough younger bigs. Probably not, but would not be shocked if this is the beginning of the end.
ArbAg
AG
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

This is just the beginning of the end for just about all professional and big-time collegiate sports.

People ie money spenders....have had enough of spoiled athletes.

In our particular situation, the BMA's have had enough of General Studies majors ordering them around. Athletes don't hang around students and vice versa.

We were once a distinctive campus. We are rapidly becoming a cookie-cutter school. No differences between us and anywhere else.

Sully will be gone soon and most of the students will be taking their General Studies classes on-line.

Sad but true! A&M leadership is on the road of removing our unique culture and traditions - sadly, we'll be just one more large school in another ten years.
wbt5845
AG
OU's continuing efforts to leave the BDF.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^^. Yes !! Perfect application of this one.

Bwahshahshaha
carl spacklers hat
Tamu_mgm said:

West Point Aggie said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

I buy that, but maybe not as bad as Nebraska considering the sh**hole that the BDF competition is. The reason they are still relevant is because Lincoln Riley knows the hell out of offense and mentors the QB position very well. That's why talent goes there, not because of OU itself and definitely not because of the conference they play in. If Riley were ever to leave for whatever reason and they get a bad or even average hire, then they would decline very quickly.
I don't agree with this because of the conference they play in. While it may be true that the gap that already exists between OU and other legitimate title contenders (Bama, Clemson, OSU, LSU and the like) would widen, probably significantly, it is not so clear that OU would suffer a significant decline relative to their fellow conference members.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.