Geoff Ketchum reveals to all why he eats his feelings

31,573 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always wondered why Ketchum's lapband procedure failed, what the motivated him to uncontrollably gorge himself on food even after he had lost all the weight.

Today, we know one of the main reasons, in his own words:

Quote:

On Tuesday afternoon, just a few miles away from the San Francisco airport at a restaurant called Mokutanya, I sat alone eye to eye with my father for the first time in my life.

Some of you will know this about me, but many of you will not - I have a complicated relationship with my biological father. He was about to graduate from Baylor in 1975 when he went on a few dates with my mom, who was a junior in high school at Waco Reicher at the time. Somewhere along the way inside of those dates, yours truly was created. While my mom decided to raise me on her own as an 18-year oldhigh school senior, my dad went off to California and started a new life that was different from anything he'd every known in Texas, eventually emerging as one of the most successful men in the entire high tech world over the last 30 years.

Over the course of the first 37+ years of my life, we'd never met, despite the fact that he paid child support until I was 18 and helped with a year of my college tuition when I was at Texas. While I used to spend weekends with his parents when I was a child, he just never had an interest in really having a relationship with me. Obviously.

All of that changed when my twins arrived in 2014, as we met a few weeks after they were born and he visited them the next day while they were in the NICU. That was followed up with another luncheon with Heather (my wife), Hendrix and Haven roughly two years later . Although we weren't on steady speaking terms, I was under the impression that our relationship was one that was growing, albeit at a very slow burn.

That impression changed in July when my grandfather, who I had spent the last few years redeveloping a relationship with, died in Lakeway about 15 minutes from my house in Cedar Park. Even though my dad had apparently been in town for almost two weeks, he never called me. No one did. Feeling that my grandfather would have wanted me at the funeral, but knowing that every person at the funeral wouldn't have wanted me there, my wife and I sat in our car for nearly two hours on the day of his funeral at his grave-site until everyone left so that we could pay our respects.

In an effort to cut this "Dear Diary" moment as short as possible for you guys reading this, I ended up requesting/demanding a meeting after a series of insulting emails from him that I'm sure weren't meant to be insulting but couldn't be anything but. Anywhere, any place... just tell me and I'd fly to him for a one-on-one. He suggested we talk on the phone. I told him I deserved an in-person conversation.

So, there I was in San Francisco at a Japanese restaurant that he said had five-star reviews online. Face to face.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that the things he was going to say to me were going to be rough, but damnit, I felt like it was time to stop *****footing with the situation and just be real with each other for one time in our lives.

And he got real, telling me over the course of an hour the following:

* Wished I had been aborted and still feels that way today.
* Views me as one of the three worst mistakes of his life (we didn't discuss the other two)
* There will never be a future relationship because it's too much trouble for him and he wouldn't want to have to try to explain me to his friends.
* Basically doesn't view me as his son and certainly not someone he would claim as family.

There was actually a lot more, but I'm sure you'll get the point after those four small examples. Honestly, it was a lot to absorb, especially with nothing but time on my hands in the 8 hours that it took to get back to Austin. It was quite humbling.

TL;dr, Ketch's dad is a borderline pedo who wishes he was never born and is still ashamed of him. Ketch is a literal ******* with serious daddy issues.
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
RK
AG
Quote:

and helped with a year of my college tuition when I was at Texas
M.D.
Ketch does a lot of stupid sh*t that constitutes a good ribbing, but not sure this is one of them.
BohunkAg
AG
Why would he post all of that online?
I Like Mike
AG
That actually f$cking sucks if true. I feel bad for the guy. As the father of a two year old with another on the way, I can't imagine not wanting my children.
Ronnie Mund
Quote:

* Wished I had been aborted and still feels that way today.

Ok, which one of you mother f***ers here is Ketch's father?
Joe Exotic
AG
M.D. said:

Ketch does a lot of stupid sh*t that constitutes a good ribbing, but not sure this is one of them.

Disagree
SACR
AG
M.D. said:

Normally, I'd agree with you, but this happened back in February. He's chosen to still be a d o u c h e b a g since then. If he had gained some perspective and changed his ways, I'd give him some slack. Since he hasn't, this is fair game.
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
goodAg80
AG
At least Ketch still has us.*

* While this has an element of sarcasm due to the unending ribbing we give him, at least people treat him like a real person.
HeyMoe
AG
...on second thought.
inconvenient truth
Quote:

Wished I had been aborted and still feels that way today.
He's not the only one.
Tom Hagen
AG
inconvenient truth said:

Quote:

Wished I had been aborted and still feels that way today.
He's not the only one.
Here.
Tom Hagen
AG
Is this just Ketch's way of bragging that his biological father is Mark Hurd?
American Hardwood
AG
There is a lot of good joke material here obviously. But, the fact the Ketch is still Ketch doesn't change that if this is all true, it is very tragic and he really is a victim of his ****ty father. To tell an innocent child of yours that you wish he was aborted is cruel and evil. If anyone should have been aborted it should have been his father by the sound of it.

Ketch, if you are reading this and I know you are, your dad deserves a beating with a baseball bat Jew Bear style. Carry on with your inflated rankings, sophomoric writings, and stop eating yourself to death.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Soooooo... Who wants to figure out who his dad is?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Nevermind. It's Godfrey Sullivan.
goodAg80
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Is this just Ketch's way of bragging that his biological father is Mark Hurd?
Hurd graduated from Baylor in 1979 not 1975.
goodAg80
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I agree.
752bro4
AG
Quote:

Hendrix and Haven
ABATTBQ11
AG
goodAg80 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I agree.

His bio on a page for baylor alumni says he graduated in 1975 before going to California to reinvent himself before ending up at Apple. It's definitely him.

I wonder how much his wife knows...
AgEng06
AG
Or Ketch made that part up because Sullivan said something negative about Texas one time while at Baylor.
Joe Exotic
AG
Wonder is someone should edit his Wikipedia to say he is the ***tard father of Orangebloods founder Geoff Ketchum
Joe Exotic
AG
Quote:

In the mid-1980s, Sullivan began participating in Ride and Tie, a mountain race where teams of two people alternate between riding a horse and running. He raced for 25 years, describing it as "probably the most fun I've had with my clothes on,"[9] and retired from the sport in 2010 in order to focus on Splunk

Seeing as how taking your clothes off led to producing that fat tub of **** I can see why he'd think that.
91_Aggie
AG
Very few Juniors are 18... but his Mom could have been if she was held back.

so not sure if dad was pedo or mom wasn't very smart.

need more details.

Oh, and this is obvious sympathy ploy... he'll probably have a gofundme set up quickly.

Why would you air this stuff out on the internet?

If he wants to discuss being part of a trashy family, he needs to do like all other trash does and go on Jerry Springer.
elfurioso92
AG
Finally, Pluckerman's origin story.
SACR
AG
91_Aggie said:

Why would you air this stuff out on the internet?

If he wants to discuss being part of a trashy family, he needs to do like all other trash does and go on Jerry Springer.

jamey, 3/13/20

realestateguru
AG
Sullivan and his wife, Suzanne, reside in Saratoga, Calif. They have two daughters, Hayley and Shea.
goodAg80
AG
He has the same handicap as his son (too much brevity):

Quote:

Greetings everyone,
Today we are announcing that your favorite CEO (that would be me)) is retiring from Splunk. I will continue to serve Splunk as non-executive Chairman, which is a fancy way of saying that I'm not an employee (after Jan 31st) but still considered an insider by all the regulatory agencies. All of this is effective today, as I'm delighted to announce that Doug Merritt, one of my favorite people on this planet, is taking my place as your new CEO/President! More on Doug in a minute, but first I should explain my decision.
I want everyone to know a few really important things. First, I've had more fun leading Splunk for the last seven years than anything else I've ever done. Not even a close second to this disruptive and irreverent place it's a perfect match for a non-conformist like me! Second, I'm 100% bullish on the future opportunity for Splunk. We've gone from a fragile startup to an important company, and customers worldwide depend on us to keep delivering success for them. Third, I love all of you in a way that's most similar to how a parent is proud of their kids. You want to explain it, but you get choked up trying to get the words out. Everything about Splunk is good, but it's time for me to spend more time with Sudz and family.
If I tried to recap the highlights of the last seven years, this email would be too long. Let's keep it simple. Erik and Rob had a great idea, and our somewhat crazy engineering teams have turned that vision into a compelling set of products that our customers love to use. Our NPS score of 50+ is the best evidence of the outrageous products that our engineering teams have developed. Those products have enabled all of us to build a lasting company that delivers high levels of customer success, and it's a tail wind that makes everything else just a little easier. Let's not forget that our products are at the center of everything we do.
From the early days until now, and into the future as far as I can see, this is a team sport. While I'm honored to have led Splunk for the last seven years, there were so many of you who made more important contributions. You build the products, you support our customers, you drive our systems and processes that make us all better. It's quite a privilege to be a part of this team.
Which brings me to a writing from 600 BC by Lao-Tzu:
A leader is best when people barely know he exists.
Not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worst when they despise him.
Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you.
But of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say "we did this ourselves".
I can't think of a better example of a company where "we did this ourselves" than Splunk. You have brought us to this place, and it's your opportunity and responsibility to take us forward into the future.
Which brings me to the topic of your brand new CEO, my friend and colleague, Doug Merritt. When I pursued Doug to join Splunk almost two years ago it was because I already knew that his character, integrity and experience were a direct match for Splunk. When Doug came on board, many of you commented to me "I know why you hired Doug he's your successor", and you were right!
Doug is a rare human, one who is smart, competitive and creative and yet he is kind, compassionate and always thoughtful of everyone around him. He's also rare in having started his career as a programmer, rotated into 10+ years in sales/marketing, spent the next 10+ years in development, product marketing and management, and 6+ years as a CEO leading start up companies. Doug is uniquely qualified to lead a technical company like Splunk, and I'm so happy to be able to pass the torch to someone I respect and trust.
Because Splunk is a team sport, I also need to give huge applause to the rest of the exec team, who are the best I've ever had the pleasure to serve. Our market groups are leading us to new opportunities, our Cloud business is on fire, our products create customer passion, our back office teams give us world class support, and our field organization is continually delivering customer success and growth that's the envy of the software industry. It doesn't get much better than this.
I want to thank every employee, customer, and partner for making Splunk such a memorable part of my career. I look forward to continuing to serve as your Chairman, and I look forward to a future that's even brighter than today.
Please join me in giving Doug your enthusiastic congratulations for his new role!
Thanx as always, g.r.s.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Y'all are ruthless.
vin1041
AG
Poor ketch!
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Sadly, my own father had a similar situation to Ketch and still is an amazing father to me and my many siblings.

I can say from many a night of sharing beers with my Dad around the campfire--not knowing and not meeting your father can cause some serious **** mentally (duh). However; being around it and seeing the serious damage done to my father in his life (that he overcame), I will not take part in making fun of Ketch for that.

Not trying to get on my high horse here, but y'all outta be ashamed of yourselves for thinking ketch deserves criticism for sharing this. Especially when an Army Veteran poster on OB just committed suicide last night (which is what prompted Ketch's sharing of his own story). It is good to share your story, and even if he did it to grandstand--it is good to share your part so others can relate.

stick93
AG
From his old man's retirement email above:

"Third, I love all of you in a way that's most similar to how a parent is proud of their kids."

Not sure how to interpret that.
Flexbone
Great Beard of Zeus said:

Sadly, my own father had a similar situation to Ketch and still is an amazing father to me and my many siblings.

I can say from many a night of sharing beers with my Dad around the campfire--not knowing and not meeting your father can cause some serious **** mentally (duh). However; being around it and seeing the serious damage done to my father in his life (that he overcame), I will not take part in making fun of Ketch for that.

Not trying to get on my high horse here, but y'all outta be ashamed of yourselves for thinking ketch deserves criticism for sharing this. Especially when an Army Veteran poster on OB just committed suicide last night (which is what prompted Ketch's sharing of his own story). It is good to share your story, and even if he did it to grandstand--it is good to share your part so others can relate.

Agreed. I can say as someone that never knew his dad (he passed away when I was 3) that I'd rather not know him due to death than something like this. I can't understand how anyone could feel that way about their own child, but his dad sounds like a pathetic human being.
Sponge
AG
stick93
AG
Godfrey Sullivan Sr passed away in July. I'm out on this one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.