Texas to refuse bowl bid if offered

6,438 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wbt5845
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-texas-wont-accept-bowl-invitation-if-it-receives-one/

Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Way to beat them to the punch.

Can A&M preemptively turn down an invite to one of the playoff games for this year?
brainman5000
AG
They don't want to get steamrolled by Navy.
Wildmen03
AG
Damn they'll do anything to avoid A&M in a bowl game.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Well that's mighty white of them.

Was that wrong? Should I not have said that?
W
AG
once Herman fired all the assistants...the bowl game was gone.

he also doesn't want to have to back up the tough talk until next September
The Collective
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Damn they'll do anything to avoid A&M in a bowl game.

Ding. Ding. Ding.
88jrt06
AG
Pretend you're offering....tease the audience.
Show tu highlights...
The audience will laugh hysterically, then let's tap the kegs, have a good time....and toast the END of the season.
Sponsored by Tito's Vodka.
Texan1976
No coach would accept a bowl under this circumstance.
Froppe
AG
Core values.

Or, Vodka Tom has a lot of parties to attend?
Bonfire1996
AG
Texan1976 said:

Mike Sherman says hi.
SlackerAg
AG
A&M got Hines, sips got 5-7.
brainman5000
AG
Translation: the toilet bowl that gives them a bid wouldn't cover their travel expenses.
Texan1976
Bonfire 1996 said:

Texan1976 said:

Mike Sherman says hi.

He didn't coach that game. Darnell did.

There is no reason to do this for Herman. He cleaned out the staff. Who would coach it?
I-Haul
AG
76: He didn't coach the game and neither did Darnell. Tim Deryuter did even though he had also accepted a head coaching position at Fresno State.
Canyon99
*******. Not surprised they chose to go this route to avoid playing A&M.
Texan1976
TheGoodAg said:

76: He didn't coach the game and neither did Darnell. Tim Deryuter did even though he had also accepted a head coaching position at Fresno State.

I thought when Sherman was incoming Darnell coached the bowl game?

When he was outgoing he had no say.
Froppe
AG
Fat ketch wouldn't turn down a bowl, as long as it was full of queso.
Olsen
AG
Herman is cleaning out the house. Sips won't have an interim coach for the bowl game.
I-Haul
AG
I see. I don't remember, 76.
The Collective
AG
Sumlin also let the team play in a bowl game. He even attended the game.
kb2001
AG
91_Aggie said:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-texas-wont-accept-bowl-invitation-if-it-receives-one/

Can A&M preemptively turn down an invite to one of the playoff games for this year?

How quickly people forget. A&M preemptively turned down bowl offers following RC's departure in 2002

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
kb2001 said:

91_Aggie said:

How quickly people forget. A&M preemptively turned down bowl offers following RC's departure in 2002

Didn't we win 6 games that year?
Potcake
AG
Yes.
91_Aggie
AG
kb2001 said:

91_Aggie said:

You use the word "quickly"... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

In any case, the point I was making in the original post was Texas jumping out in front of this to make it appear they would be offered a bowl. No one was going to offer them a bowl.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In any case, the point I was making in the original post was Texas jumping out in front of this to make it appear they would be offered a bowl. No one was going to offer them a bowl.
I am not so sure about that. The Big XII has like 7 bowl tie-ins, IIRC. And with a 9 conference game schedule it is difficult to get more than 6 teams bowl eligible. And that's exactly how many BDF teams have 6 or more wins.

OU, OSU, WVU, KSU, TCU and Baylor are bowl eligible. If you are the bowl committee people, do you want tech, Kansas, Iowa State or tu fan bases for your bowl??
kb2001
AG
91_Aggie said:

kb2001 said:

91_Aggie said:

You use the word "quickly"... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Yep, that was my point. Nobody was offering A&M in 2002 either, it was just as ridiculous when we said it back then as it is when tu says it now. I guess I'm just getting old, doesn't feel like that long ago, only 2 coaching changes here since that one.
Iowaggie
AG
91_Aggie said:

kb2001 said:

91_Aggie said:

Umm. ..yes it's quite possible that they would have.

There's 80 postseason spots this year, and even if all two of the 5-6 teams playing this weekend win, there aren't enough 6 win teams.

Then the next factor for the 5 win teams is APR.

Texas sits 3rd behind North Texas and Miss St.

Northern Illinois sits right behind them.
My guess is they all have the opportunity to go to a bowl.
Actual Talking Thermos
brainman5000 said:

Translation: the toilet bowl that gives them a bid wouldn't cover their travel expenses.
I think it has more to do with the fact that we have no OC, no DC, only a HC and a few position coaches, all of whom just met the players the other day. We have nobody to call plays in a scheme that the players actually know. Herman's got enough other stuff to do.

I wish we would play the game because win or lose it would mean I could watch my team play one more game before journeying into the dark realm known as the off-season.
W
AG
you can't compare the overall college football bowl situation in 2002 to 2016. There were 28 bowl games back then compared to 40 now.

that open bowl slot in 2002 was in Boise, Idaho. Would have been a financial disaster to accept that bid
brainman5000
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

brainman5000 said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that we have no OC, no DC, only a HC and a few position coaches, all of whom just met the players the other day. We have nobody to call plays in a scheme that the players actually know. Herman's got enough other stuff to do.

I wish we would play the game because win or lose it would mean I could watch my team play one more game before journeying into the dark realm known as the off-season.

One could argue that having no coaches would actually be better for the team than what we've seen the past 3 years. (Kidding. Mostly...)
Cynical_Texan
AG
So now sip is ducking Navy in the Alamo Bowl.
AGBOOSTER
AgStuckinLBK said:

kb2001 said:

91_Aggie said:

Didn't we win 6 games that year?
IIRC we went 6-6 that year and were offered the Humanitarian Bowl in boise which was rejected b/c we would have lost money on the game.
OPAG
AG
Quote:

I thought when Sherman was incoming Darnell coached the bowl game?

He did along with the entire staff minus Fran.

Sherm was still playing OC with the Texans. That was a freaking disaster. Got such a late start or staff and recruiting and then hired a DC,( forgot his name, went to the Cowboys and then Texans as a LB coach, is now with Koobs and W Philips at Denver.) who then bailed out a week or so later, leaving Sherm scrambling to get Kines.

That defense has pretty good talent actually, V Miller, M Bennett, K Heard, J Pugh, D Gorer, C Obiozer, Patterson, and a few others that had two year or more stints with the NFL. Of course V Miller and M Bennett have been all Pro.

Of course so many here, blinded by their hate, say Fran left the cupboard bare, I laugh at their ignorance.
Biz Ag
AG
Such a Rick Barnes thing to do.
SoTxAg
AG
Was Rick Barnes the spokesperson who removed sips name from bowl consideration?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.