Baylor Update per Ken "**** the bed" Starr

10,004 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by petey88
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love how the letter goes out of its way in one breath to talk about how they are going to figure out what they could have done better, where there possible mistakes were, and at the same time is an exoneration of Briles (when other coaches figured out what he apparently couldn't).

At some point they will get this right, but it won't be until a formal apology is part of the large settlement they pay out.
Wildmen03
AG
So can we go back to fapping about this now?
dermdoc
AG
Is "Baylor nation" like Luxembourg?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
Is "Baylor nation" like Luxembourg?
more like Rwanda. Much more crappy and rape is apparently encouraged if you're important enough.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
Ken called him a student athlete, I thought all,the Baylor trash where saying he was never in the team?
Yeah but still notice the juxtaposition. In the first paragraph, the horrible wrongdoer is a "former student athlete." Got to throw that former in there, which could mean he was a former student athlete at the time he acted criminally, or he became a former student athlete soon thereafter as a result of allegations, etc. It's intentionally vague so as to be left up to your imagination when he stopped being a student athlete.

As for the victim, they go out of their way to specify that she was a "Baylor student-athlete at the time." The only person between the two they associate with in a present tense at the operative time is the victim. Use past tense for the criminal.

It's subtle parsing of words, but very intentional. No recognition of the fact the criminal remained a student athlete at Baylor longer than the victim. To the contrary, at passing glance without much thought, the wording would seem to imply the opposite to be the case.
aggiehawg
AG
And then there's this:

quote:
Universities do not enjoy subpoena power. They cannot compel witnesses to testify under oath. Nor can universities require mental health professionals, counselors or physicians to disclose information about complainants.
That includes Boise State too, doesn't it??
Sea Gull
AG
There's zero chance Briles goes anywhere. The school is enjoying the football limelight for the first time in their miserable history. They've already demonstrated that success at football is more important than their own student's safety.

I don't care what that scumbag Ken Starr says, Art Briles is complete and total slime. He knew 100% what was going on but still had every intention of playing SU. **** him and his lying ass. There's a special place in hell for people like him.
BiochemAg97
AG

quote:
Important new information emerging from the recent judicial proceedings has made us aware of painful details of a brave survivor and Baylor student-athlete at the time who deserves our compassion and understanding. Our hearts break for any victim of such an unspeakable crime against human dignity. Her moving testimony at trial greatly disturbed all of us. What she said in court prompted us to take swift action, which I will clarify later in this letter.
So this was all new information to the school? Did they not bother to talk to the girl in their title IX investigation?

Stinky T
AG
Could have done more?

How about you make this realization....
quote:
Important new information emerging from the recent judicial proceedings has made us aware of painful details of a brave survivor and Baylor student-athlete at the time who deserves our compassion and understanding.

......before it reaches testimony in a trial, Kenny?
What a gigantic d-bag.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

quote:
Important new information emerging from the recent judicial proceedings has made us aware of painful details of a brave survivor and Baylor student-athlete at the time who deserves our compassion and understanding. Our hearts break for any victim of such an unspeakable crime against human dignity. Her moving testimony at trial greatly disturbed all of us. What she said in court prompted us to take swift action, which I will clarify later in this letter.
So this was all new information to the school? Did they not bother to talk to the girl in their title IX investigation?

The only thing new was the testimony of the Boise State girlfriend.

They can't pretend they never knew the results of the SANE exam, at least not after the guy was indicted. There wouldn't be an indictment if the forensics didn't corroborate forceful penetration.
End Of Message
AG
The most recent letter is nauseating at best.

88jrt06
AG
quote:

Let me also speak to allegations that Coach Art Briles knowingly recruited to his team someone with a history of criminal violence. Our coach vehemently denied these allegations, and the sports media eventually got the story right. The player's former coach at Boise State initiated contact with us. At no time did any Boise State official ever disclose any record of physical violence toward women. A variety of news sources ultimately corroborated the accuracy of Coach Briles' account. In addition, in recent days, Coach Briles has made it absolutely clear that he is fully supportive of the independent investigation which will among other things ensure the thoroughness of the transfer admission of student-athletes, as well as of policies and procedures designed to safeguard the character and well-being of our entire student body.

Starr is avoiding unequivocal support for Briles' veracity. Notice?

He cites Briles "vehemently denying" while NOT saying "and WE agree." His citing of "sports media eventually getting the story right", and "a variety of news sources" corroborating Briles' story is very vague and passes the buck to third parties when it comes to absolving Briles of......anything. No specific media references, no media quotes, no specific allegations refuted by Starr on behalf of the football coach.

Starr's tap-dancing around Briles completely. It leads me to believe he's concerned about egg-on-face revelations about Artie. Of course, I'd do the same if I didn't trust the rhetoric to date. Starr's running interference for Baylor and for Starr. Briles? I'd say "NO".

Interesting.
Biz Ag
AG

quote:
Wouldn't the defense have had a chance to depose her prior to trial?
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Dear Ken,

Allow me to retort.

Your University paid for two years of a college of education for the alleged (at the time) rapist. You awarded him a baccalaureate degree and then proceeded to admit him to graduate school at your institution of higher education. All this took place while it was a known fact by your Head Football Coach and his staff that he was under indictment for rape of another student. A student athlete who had her scholarship reduced and then eliminated. Your student service administrator performed her duty so poorly the judge in the criminal trial had to note it for the record. Your athletic coaching staff placed the wants and needs of their team above the safety of the other students at your University.

Please consider these facts as you investigate yourself. Then go **** yourself.

(Drops mike and walks off stage....)

Absolutely nailed it with this post. **** those guys.
dreyOO
He's just making sure they don't paint themselves into a corner with any of this verbiage...keeping all the options on the table.

But Briles isn't going anywhere.

I'm kinda ok with it too. He'll forever have that stigma and him staying at BU keeps that perception in place. Penn State was able to purge it as well as could be expected considering how horrible their situation was. Clearly, baylol hasn't learned anything from that
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

quote:
Wouldn't the defense have had a chance to depose her prior to trial?
Not if she were a rebuttal witness, impeaching the credibility of a previous witness, for example. I'm kind of fuzzy on criminal procedure, but prior bad acts usually have admissibility issues. However, if SU testified and said something about the incident(s) at Boise State, she could have been called to rebut his testimony.

Didn't follow the trial closely enough to know how she came to testify. If she was always a witness on the list, or like I said, held in reserve in case the defense left an opening.

Anybody else know??

aggiehawg
AG
quote:
He's just making sure they don't paint themselves into a corner with any of this verbiage...keeping all the options on the table.

But Briles isn't going anywhere.

I'm kinda ok with it too. He'll forever have that stigma and him staying at BU keeps that perception in place. Penn State was able to purge it as well as could be expected considering how horrible their situation was. Clearly, baylol hasn't learned anything from that
Until the next incident with a football player. And there will be one. Oakman will likely blow up in the NFL and pull a Hernandez or something.
SapperAg
AG
I love the line about the rape kit results. Let's see, the Waco PD has the kit. The same PD that did nothing with the evidence for months. I wonder why?

I'm sure the conversation went like this:
Ken: Could we see the results of the rape kit?
WPD: Sure
Ken: What's that? We can't?
WPD: Ohhhh. Right. No. Can't see them.
Tailgate88
AG
Footage uncovered of Baylol producing the latest press release:

musicman55
AG
All this pulpit-type sermonizing Starr does makes me want to puke. His style of writing is part-Elmer Gantry, part-Robert Tilton, and all religious hypocrite. His great pains in pointing out how moral and Christian Baylor is simply belie the fact that they are very much NOT what he says. The fact that they're trying to defend Briles, Bennett, and others is simply indefensible in itself.

The record of the Baylor athletic department since 2003 is below disgusting. There's no defense for the murder, the cover-ups, the high-minded hypocrisy that follows their program from year to year. It's nauseating, and I'm glad we're not in a conference with them anymore. I'd prefer that we have no athletic contests with them at all, mens or womens. We can find other foes. I just don't think we need to be associated with them.

Have other athletic depts had problems? Sure. Have they been this severe, this protracted, with so little done to remedy the problem? I don't think so.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Have other athletic depts had problems? Sure. Have they been this severe, this protracted, with so little done to remedy the problem? I don't think so.
Penn State and Notre Dame have had their issues.

When enforcing the law against football players becomes a campaign issue for those running for DA in "Happy Valley", you know there's a big problem. State College, PA is such a small municipality, Paterno ran everything there. How Sandusky got away with his actions for so long.
phillyag92
AG
I wonder how the sips are taking this?
leftcoastaggie
AG
Looks like Baylor is bringing in the A-Team to advocate for the victim. The victim here being Baylor itself.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/rape-victims-dont-trust-the-fixers-colleges-hire-to-help-the?utm_term=.wfoyqyZ2l#.eiEX9pR7V
BBRex
AG
quote:
The player's former coach at Boise State initiated contact with us. At no time did any Boise State official ever disclose any record of physical violence toward women.

So is a coach not a university official?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Looks like Baylor is bringing in the A-Team to advocate for the victim. The victim here being Baylor itself.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/rape-victims-dont-trust-the-fixers-colleges-hire-to-help-the?utm_term=.wfoyqyZ2l#.eiEX9pR7V
OUCH!!
leftcoastaggie
AG
So it looks like Stewart is being suspended for being arrested back in March.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Baylor-Suspends-Two-Defensive-Starters-Before-Season-Opener-324406801.html

And Oakman for failing to appear for a traffic ticket over the summer.

The gears of justice turn slowly in Waco.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Baylor-Suspends-Two-Defensive-Starters-Before-Season-Opener-324406801.html

Why are they in Dallas, then???
leftcoastaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Why are they in Dallas, then???
Because Art was going to let them play. The new law firm hired for their pr probably went bat**** when they found out. Somebody in Waco must have a brain, they all can't be that stupid.
88jrt06
AG
Missed:

Starr did NOT stand behind Briles here.
petey88

I beg to differ, Star* defends all things bayLOL
Ag83
AG
quote:

quote:
Waco Municipal Court records show that an arrest warrant charging violation of promise to appear was issued for Oakman this summer after he failed to pay a $266 fine for running a stop sign.
The failure to appear citation carries a $188 fine.
The warrant remained active Friday.
Hey Waco PD: I know where you can find Oakman to slap the bracelets on him right now. You can even do it live on TV if you'll get after it.

petey88

I would think the University Parks cops would laugh at the Waco guys
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.