Real Estate
Sponsored by

Are 1% deductibles a thing of the past for HomeOwner Policies?

3,694 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by jenn96
Jason_Roofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
highpriorityag said:

what are roofers going to do when deductibles end up costing the entire price of a roof?

May have to start making some deals….
Yes. They will kick over to a retail model. But they still must remain profitable. Unless your roofer is a 5 man show run out of his home office, it's tough. In 2024, insurance pricing and retail pricing is about the same (as it should be if accurate). There was a time several years ago when the retail price and the insurance price was a lot different, but that is not the case so far as I can see now.

But, this is why I was thinking the Right to Repair clauses would be more common in the future. If deductibles get high enough, people won't replace their roof. So, if they force you to make a claim and they force you to use their pre-selected approved installers, then you won't have a choice. They control pricing, the coerced repair of your home, and they can inspect for quality.

Broadly speaking, your deductible needs to hit 4-5% before the deductible exceeds the roof cost.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
degreedy
AG
jenn96 said:

Yikes, if that's the case I'm already probably at 80%. $225 PSF x 3000 (my sf) to rebuild is less than my quoted coverage.

Geno
AG
Your premiums will go up when several of the folks who shop at the same grocery store as you make claims, whether you did or not. Its all based of the gamble of insuring THAT property and good portion of that is whats around and what has that area cost the insurance companies lately/last year/historically. Houston isnt far behind Florida when it comes to the number of Ins companies straight up pulling out of the market entirely. Shopping insurance out here is was ugly a month ago...it'll be absolutely brutal this time next year.

I happen to be in Klein, caught a pine tree on the back corner of the 2nd floor and across the top of my garage.

2% deductible?...nope...5% named storm deductible.
$27,500 deductible for the claim.

Tree ripped off a half square of the roof, the decking below, and snapped the ends off 4 rafters. It knocked 2 dozen rafters off from the ridge board a half inch and every wet wall we open up we find freshly cracked or split framing. It split open the sheetrock at every window and door in the house. Every single one. Whole frame is racked; the structural engineer is having a ball. Insurance company initially tried to get us to just pay out of pocket for a roof repair and patch ...just avoid the claim altogether. Heh. Yeah we filed a claim. Going to be a long rebuild.

My point in all that is that in my little neighborhood alone, there's probably 20 more houses that got struck by trees but the other 350 homes that didn't will all see premiums jump and the deductibles will too. 1 and 2% will become 2&3%. 5% named storm policies will become 6 or 7. Once all the average repair prices start going up in exactimate from Beryl we'll see the cost to rebuild per sq foot jump up this fall too.
jenn96
AG
This year's insurance shopping was the first time I've seen the 5% named storm deductible. I suspect those will start becoming standard too. We were able to avoid it this go round but by next summer I'll bet we won't.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.