Real Estate
Sponsored by

Selling, When to Drop Price

3,369 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by warreng
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had my house on the market 3 weeks. Have had a dozen showings and no offers yet. I'm at $330k now for a 2200 sq ft, which looks good on the comps sheet.

I haven't sold a house before, and my realtor isn't being super helpful with strategy. How long should I wait before dropping it? How much should I drop it? Should I try to get under filter cutoff points ($299k to get under $300k)? I'm thinking I shouldn't drop too much too early, but also shouldn't drop it a lot of times in small increments either. I'd take an offer at $300k now, but am thinking I could do a little better than that.
Jason_Roofer
It's been a while but…..why are YOU asking these questions? I'm a licensed Realtor but I'm not active right now so take this with a bowl of salt. I can say that you are asking all the stuff I used to discuss with my clients without them having to ask. There are some great Realtors on here that will have good advice but my first decision at this point is "how long do I keep my Realtor" if all those other questions are coming up. I'd say…maybe consider another Realtor.
SoTheySay
S
What's the showing feedback?
Average days on market?

I'm not telling you whether to reduce or not but these will affect what I'd suggest.
CS78
Im not saying to drop it or how much, but any drop will trigger a fresh email to potential buyers. And those emails are what bring you more showings. I tend to do a lot of small drops, for this reason.

jja79
AG
How badly do you need to sell?
Ogre09
AG
Yes, these are things I expect the realtor to be telling me. I had a couple of good buying experiences with her, but not loving what I'm getting on as a seller so far. I'm working on that.

Of the 10 sold comps she shared, the median time to sell is 30 days and the mean is 47. There 2 two at less than a week and 2 over 100 days.

Feedback on showings hasn't been very helpful. "Seems like too much work down the road," "master bath is too small and needs updated," "nice kitchen," "nice backyard," "fair price," and "house is too small" aren't really things I am going to do anything about.

I'm already in the new house, so paying both mortgages. The old house is mostly paid and the interest rate is low so I'm mostly paying principal at this point. But I'd like to have it sold before September 1 to not keep paying both mortgages past that.
SteveBott
AG
I'm mortgage but if my house im not dropping at three weeks. If any a 1000 to get under the 300k price point.

Let the market come to you. At 6 weeks? Ok I'm thinking about it
Heineken-Ashi
Ogre09 said:

Yes, these are things I expect the realtor to be telling me. I had a couple of good buying experiences with her, but not loving what I'm getting on as a seller so far. I'm working on that.

Of the 10 sold comps she shared, the median time to sell is 30 days and the mean is 47. There 2 two at less than a week and 2 over 100 days.

Feedback on showings hasn't been very helpful. "Seems like too much work down the road," "master bath is too small and needs updated," "nice kitchen," "nice backyard," "fair price," and "house is too small" aren't really things I am going to do anything about.

I'm already in the new house, so paying both mortgages. The old house is mostly paid and the interest rate is low so I'm mostly paying principal at this point. But I'd like to have it sold before September 1 to not keep paying both mortgages past that.
When did the comps sell? Did they have the same amount of comparable homes on the market to compete with? Were they fully updated while yours might not be? There's a lot of factors in play that could give context clues. Based on what the feedback seems to be saying, your home isn't the belle of the ball. If you priced it to be, then you likely overpriced it. A market that wants your home will tell you so. But without knowing location, I'm not sure anyone can accurately speak to what you should do. You hired a Realtor. Ask them. If they don't know, tell them to do their damn job or you will find someone who will.

Also, most Realtors have no idea how to actually identify comps. They merely take what the MLS spits out. They make no adjustments based on features those have that yours might not, or vice versa.

Lastly, depending on location, this is one of the tougher markets your average Realtor has seen. And most fail. They are used to "just stick a price at the top of an MLS generated comp set and it will sell quick". This isn;t that market anymore unless you are in a highly desirable neighborhood with move-in ready home that doesn't have much functional obsolescence. It sounds like your home is viewed as having too many risks at its price, at least based on the feedback you shared.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
South Platte
Ogre09 said:

Can you rent the house? I understand not everyone wants to become a landlord. If you can find a strong property manager it works really well.
NoahAg
South Platte said:

Ogre09 said:

Can you rent the house? I understand not everyone wants to become a landlord. If you can find a strong property manager it works really well.

This. 2200 SF, I assume 2 bed 2 bath. Unless you just need the cash why not rent it out for a year (or more)? Presumably (maybe) interest rates are lower in the future, increasing the pool of buyers. Let someone else pay your mortgage, taxes, insurance. Get some cash flow, enjoy some appreciation.
JMac03
AG
I was also going to suggest renting it. We regret selling our first home.
well_endowed_ag
Where is the house? If it's in the San Antonio area and in decent shape, reach out. I might want to buy it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Rent it unless you need the cash out of it.
Ogre09
AG
Not in SA. Not interested in the headache of renting. Would rather have the cash. Planning to recast most of it into the new loan, and invest the rest in hookers and blow (or waste it on furniture, vacations, and reload cash savings).

Comps are all recent, within the last month. One of the comps is newer and nicer, but also smaller, sold for more per foot, but sat on the market 100 days. The other comps are similar age and looks.

I'm thinking drop to $315k before the holiday weekend and see if that gets me something.
highpriorityag
HOLD
E
AG
How long til your listing agreement ends? Your agent doesnt sound very good

I'd wait another week or so before dropping the price, 3 weeks is too soon to make a decision like that.

aTm papi
Where's this house located? Zillow link?
Pacifico
AG
Hold and look for more. Buyer's market.
cevans_40
AG
NoahAg said:

South Platte said:

Ogre09 said:

This. 2200 SF, I assume 2 bed 2 bath. Unless you just need the cash why not rent it out for a year (or more)? Presumably (maybe) interest rates are lower in the future, increasing the pool of buyers. Let someone else pay your mortgage, taxes, insurance. Get some cash flow, enjoy some appreciation.

Holy cow
warreng
The key (and this is what your agent should be doing) is knowing what the market is doing. There is a big difference between a house that isn't selling because the price is too high or one that isn't selling because there are not many buyers. For example when you listed how many homes were there in your market in direct competition to yours and how many of those have sold? If there were 10 when you listed and 7 of those 10 have sold or gone under contract it is most likely an issue with your home. It may be price, condition, floorplan or a number of other things. If our of the 10 only 1 has sold that is a market issue where there are just not many buyers in your market right now. If it is an issue of no buyers in your market renting might be your best option for now because in that situation the only way lowering the price helps is when you get it to a number someone feels compelled to buy because it is too good of a deal to pass up. The other thing a market with few buyers tells you is if you do get an offer, no matter how low, work it really hard and dont turn your nose up at it. Im not saying to take a bad offer, just dont be one of those people who says "I'm not even going to respond to that offer".

So long story short figure out what is happening in your specific market and make adjustments based on that. Lowering the price never hurts, but isnt always the answer either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.